Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: still unsure after reading auxiliary fuel tank threads

Senior Member still unsure after reading auxiliary fuel tank threads ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    ld_rider did you ever see the tank thread where the guy was using ammo cans as fuel cells? I ask because it seems he was having success filling the oem tank via the vent line by the oem filler.
    I don't recall the thread but I wouldn't plug the stock tank's vent line under any circumstances. Any fuel remaining in the transfer hose can potentially act exactly like the P trap under your sink. Only instead of preventing sewer gases from wafting into your house, a plugged vent would prevent the build up of explosive gasoline fumes from escaping to either the charcoal canister or atmosphere, depending on the emissions of your bike.

It is also against federal regulations to tamper with the stock fuel emissions control system and if equipped, the evaporative emissions control system.

Grab a flat topped fuel cap like Dave mentioned and just drill a hole in it. I used the stock cap w/large ridge running across it..... What a pain it was to drill!

BTW, I used 4AN sized fittings/hoses and my aux tank drains s-l-o-w. That itty-bitty vent pipe going into the filler neck of the stock tank would probably take even longer to drain. Might not be an issue but something to think about.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 24th August 2019 at 16:35.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 700x
    OK I understand what you're saying. Correct me if Im wrong, that vent opening can and does do two things. It allow vapors out of the tank should it get hot/while the tank is being filled and it allows air into the tank to replace the fuel being consumed?
    Last edited by kalifornia; 25th August 2019 at 06:38.

Senior Member still unsure after reading auxiliary fuel tank threads ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong, that vent opening can and does do two things. It allow vapors out of the tank should it get hot/while the tank is being filled and it allows air into the tank to replace the fuel being consumed?
    Sounds right...But.....I'm clueless on the engineering behind the design so there might ancillary benefits to other systems on the motorcycle that I'm not aware of (ex: mileage, drivability, durability). Or, it can just simply be a hose that dangles under the motorcycle ;-)

Note that some NCs (depending on where they were sold) also are required to have that vent hose lead to a solenoid that controls an evaporative control valve. The valve injects the fuel vapors back into the intake manifold to be combusted. These motorcycle also have an evaporative canister that is connected to the vent hose to collect and clean the fumes when the motorcycle is just sitting.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A

still unsure after reading auxiliary fuel tank threads

In the United States, the fuel tank vent line is connected to a charcoal canister that is supposed to prevent gasoline fumes from being released into the environment by capturing them in the charcoal. I believe there is also a line from the charcoal canister to the airbox to help burn the fumes by sucking them into the engine.

That is why they say not to overfill the gas tanks on motorcycles and cars. You run the risk of flooding the charcoal canister through the vent line and there is a possibility of damage to the emissions protections on the vehicle.
    Iím not sure it will actually be permanently damaged, but a flooded charcoal canister will absolutely not function correctly to capture fumes until it dries out.

JT

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey Kali, i did read and am familiar with that thread and that guy was successful in using a military type ammo can for his additional fuel capacity. He did tap into the factory tanks fuel "breather/vent" line and used a new breather/vent line out of his ammo can... thus/effectively increasing his fuel capacity and effectively venting the entire system through the new vent in his ammo can. Done properly, as he did, it will work.

As stated before by our esteemed/knowledgeable colleagues, be very careful before modifying your fuel system. Map it out on paper before making any modifications. Use quality/professional fittings & lines etc. I too have been kicking around the idea of adding an additional tank for increased mileage to increase my range for a future attempt at an IBR/SS run.

Later this year when the snow starts flying in my area i will put my NC on a stand/bench and many of its parts are coming off. I really want to get at the factory fuel tank and see if it is possible to hold more fuel. If so, and i deem it cost effective, then i'll have a tank fabricated to fit/maximize the area available and install it. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 700x
    hey rapturee hope you're well. I still havent gotten an nc yet. but my bike is selling this weekend and Ill have room for an nc. Ill have something on my bike, probably a plastic fuel can. Ill send you my # because I'de be up for some crazy distance attempt. But if it turns dark, im following you.

roger that, you are welcome anytime! 'Duelin just about has me talked into a newer DCT, ok, not that it would take too much arm twisting haha! The NC is just an amazing machine IMHO, i am so very pleased with mine. If i were to part with it, it would only be fore getting the NC750 in DCT! A guy might as well have a few more CC's and no more clutch to pull for my arthritic left hand(there are days i dream up plans to relocate that stupid clutch handle to the right side). Then i have several good days and reconsider haha. :{)
    Last edited by Rapturee; 26th August 2019 at 21:12. Reason: rented fingers, though my lease is about up

Thanks for the post Dave, that is a neat system and i like it! I see that it served you well and i've considered a similar setup for my attempt. 170 mile range at that speed just isn't enough for me either and prompted me to consider an alternative source. Yours is simple, easy to use and effective. You posted a great RR documenting that attempt, thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. I'm still trying to fit my first attempt in this season/year. I have a couple of routes planned out, we'll see. :{)

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Thanks for the post Dave, that is a neat system and i like it! I see that it served you well and i've considered a similar setup for my attempt. 170 mile range at that speed just isn't enough for me either and prompted me to consider an alternative source. Yours is simple, easy to use and effective. You posted a great RR documenting that attempt, thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. I'm still trying to fit my first attempt in this season/year. I have a couple of routes planned out, we'll see. :{)
    If your only getting 170 miles out of a tank I'm curious if you've thought of changing sprockets to get better mileage?

Changing just the front sprocket to a 17 tooth my Speedo is off by around 5mph (according to multiple GPS units I've tried) so when my Speedo says I'm going 75mph in actually going 80mph, with that slight change I've been getting 230-240 miles per tank and have never run out (I think I could get 250) that's averaging 75mph-80mph mostly flat freeway elevation 100-400 ft above sea level with various wind conditions, OEM side cases and a 200 pound plus rider

I'm also planning on buying this

LC 2.5 GAL Utility Container https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQ2PC1P..._1pozDbDYN5850

And just strapping it to the rear rack for now so I can explore the Sierra mountains east of me without stressing about gas so much

Senior Member still unsure after reading auxiliary fuel tank threads dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    I've done several SS1000s on NCs using the stock fuel system though extra fuel is always welcome. There is plenty of time in a Saddlesore to make the necessary fuel stops as long as available stops are close enough together and the route is not two lane roads that slow down average speeds. Good luck, we will cheer for you.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD