Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do crashbars protect anything

Bike: NC750XAD

Do crashbars protect anything

Or is it just a place for the extra lights?

Givi, Sw motech ect. Crashbars do they protect the motor and plastic from scratched if the bike is tipped over?

Anyone with experince in dropping the bike? 😳 I just dont want to spend money on crashbars if they dont protect anything.

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by jangermann View Post

Givi, Sw motech ect. Crashbars do they protect the motor and plastic from scratched if the bike is tipped over?

Anyone with experience in dropping the bike? �� I just dont want to spend money on crashbars if they dont protect anything.
    Don't expect miracles, but it could/will help. Of course, depending how hard you're gonna lay her down...
    Couple months ago I thought I can turn around on small paved road, but I couldn't, and I let her rest for a couple minutes. If I didn't have crashbars it will leave a scratch or two, for sure. Maybe will even break the tupperware, who knows. And the plastic is REALLY expensive.
    In my opinion, definitely worth it.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    Absolutely! My bike was parked on the street a while back at a dealership. Apparently someone bumped into it, knocking it off its stand. The bike landed with the crashbars resting on the granite berm edge. I lucked out in that the section of the bars that hit the granite had a small storage bag attached and that is what hit the curb. Without the bars I wouldn't have had a bag attached there. End result was that absolutely no damage (not even a scratch) occurred! Are they protection in a true 'crash'? Probably not. Are they protection against everyday dings and dents? YUP!

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I lowsided (~30 mph) and the SW bars protected my legs and generally reduced damage to the side of the bike. The brake lever and foot peg took a hit because they both stick out further, but all the plastic was fine as was the cylinder head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    I may know "someone" who has dropped their bike with and without the bars. Better to drop with bars

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Had tip over in a parking lot once with the Mutazu crash bars and they held everything up off the concrete. Just a couple scratches on the bar itself. Everything else was fine. They do stick out a bit further than most you'll buy, but I like them and they did help.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey J, i too had that thought-question when i looked at other NC's. When i purchased mine i did a lot of research looking for something that would work the best in the event of a mishap. I bought the wrap around light bar for the front(no protection really, just a light bar) and i purchased the best side/crash bar i could. I chose the Schmo-tech side bar and they both went together like they were from the same manufacturer. Months later, i found the guy out of Kharkov Ukraine, Mmoto is his shop. He has several different styles and he personally rides an NC so you know they will fit. If i had it to do all over again, i would purchase his bars as they appear to be the strongest and best ones (IMHO). Here is a link to one of his bars, go to his store and see the many others he makes if you'd like.

Honda NC 700 X Engine guard & Crash bars for manual gearbox Black Mmoto HON0163 | eBay

Here is a shot of the two set together.
    Do crashbars protect anything-shad-seats-installed2-june-21st-2018-jpg
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

If I had to install new crash bars I think I’d look for those that stick out the way Illiumworks’ do on the BMW r1200rt - they take all the hit in a drop. Somebody found some for the NC700x, perhaps from Poland or Ukraine. Anyway, check this demo for the Illiumworks (talk about confidence):

YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by jangermann View Post
    I thought the same as you did....most of the bars I saw offered little in the way of protection and appeared to me more cosmetic than functional. A great place to mount lights or highway pegs ;-)

I purchased these from the Ukraine supplier mentioned in the other post and had them shipped over. Had one itty-bitty low speed drop and no damage to the bike. More like a stunt cage than engine guards and the looks aren't for everyone ;-)

Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: NC700X DCT, WR250X
    I have SW Motec bars and used them a couple times. Had to bend them back into shape when I hit hard, but only needed to replace handlebars and saved it from more expensive repairs. I think I posted this before, but probably slid 40 or 50 feet, the bars got scraped up good but held up. Crash bars are one of my first farkles on every bike. I seem to crash or fall over more than I should!