Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do crashbars protect anything

Bike: Nc700
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    I thought the same as you did....most of the bars I saw offered little in the way of protection and appeared to me more cosmetic than functional. A great place to mount lights or highway pegs ;-)

I purchased these from the Ukraine supplier mentioned in the other post and had them shipped over. Had one itty-bitty low speed drop and no damage to the bike. More like a stunt cage than engine guards and the looks aren't for everyone ;-)

Does the cage interfere with any regular maintenance?

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    In reply to the video- What do you think is the best way to cross that type of slimy stream? Would walking the bike even be an option?

35-40 mph low side, My side cases and Bark busters saved most of my bike from getting damaged, my shifter assembly, foot peg and bent handlebars were the only parts of my actual motorcycle that was damaged. my side case and one Bark buster got scratched

Bike: 2015 NC700X
    Do crashbars protect anything-gaza-jpg

Anyone have any experience with these from R-GAZA? I only see one listing on ebay for them (Honda NC700S/700X NC750S/750X 2012-2019 R-GAZA Engine Guard Crash Bars | eBay) and they are about $180 shipped. Just bought a NOS 2015 NC700X and my short list of add-ons are soft bags, rear rack rails (want something to bungee too!), and crash bars.

Quote Originally Posted by indyDean View Post
    Do crashbars protect anything-gaza-jpg

Anyone have any experience with these from R-GAZA? I only see one listing on ebay for them (Honda NC700S/700X NC750S/750X 2012-2019 R-GAZA Engine Guard Crash Bars | eBay) and they are about $180 shipped. Just bought a NOS 2015 NC700X and my short list of add-ons are soft bags, rear rack rails (want something to bungee too!), and crash bars.
    I was able to straighten my shifter assembly out luckily, the aluminum it's mounted to was stripped out and the shifter assembly was bent in multiple places, I was able to fix all that for very little money luckily but many would have been forced/chosen to buy replacement parts that are pretty expensive, if you find crash bars that would protect that area, I'd recommend those

Bike: Nc700x
    Id Rider.....I really like those bars......from Ukraine you say?......mind advising how much $$$ and wait time please. TIA

Senior Member Do crashbars protect anything ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Id Rider.....I really like those bars......from Ukraine you say?......mind advising how much $$$ and wait time please. TIA
    I ordered them June 2, 2015 hoping they would arrive before an Iron Butt ride a few weeks later, but they didn't make it in time. When I got back home around the first week of July they were waiting for me at a neighbor's house.

I guess it was close to a month, but that was four years ago and have no idea if things are moving quicker now. I faintly recall a mix up in the color I wanted them power coated and that might have contributed to the longish wait.

My paypal receipt shows $347USD which included fees/power coating and of course shipping. Again, that was over 4 years ago so lots of things might have changed.

Power coating has held up well, still looks new as do the welds.

This is the only engine guard that I found with protection for the DCT filter cover and I'm happy with them.

I mentioned in another thread that I have no issues with regular maintenance (oil/filters/transmission filter, etc) with the crash bars mounted. Not sure about the valve adjustment though. I've done once since I've had these mounted but honestly don't remember if I had to pull them off or not. I think I would remember if I had to (not a big deal anyway) so I'm going to suggest that yes, a valve adjustment can be done with the bars in place. I'm just not 100 percent sure ;-)
    Last edited by ld_rider; 22nd August 2019 at 17:23.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE
    I'm looking into these now. A guy on the Honda NC700/750X sight on Facebook totaled his bike without crash bars. 50 mph slide destroyed the crankcase. I looked at frame sliders too but they all look pretty flimsy.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    From an insurance stand point ( Insurance makes the bike look like new) ..........any kind of crash, slide or mishap at 50 mph is going to total the N.C.

Crash bars or engine guards might help in slow speed or parked tip over in the Walmart parking lot........if your willing to over look scratches and scuffs.

Something to think about: Back in the day ........wider and larger bars that stuck out lost favor, as there is a point where the bars stop sliding and cause the bike to start tumbling or high side as it’s also known. Slide is one thing......... As the rider you want no part of a tumble or high side event if your still with the bike.
    Last edited by showkey; 11th September 2019 at 13:06.