Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Seat mod......slope change

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x

Seat mod......slope change

The size and support are not a problem for me. The downward forward slope of the seat is a problem.

This is not a NC only problem, as other Hondas have had this concern as well. The ST1300 is one that also suffers from the forward slope. ST riders have made adjustments to solve the problem. ST has a three position seat height adjustment. Their fix was to position seat on the front in the top adjustment and the back placed in th skid or low position.........downward slope gone. Honda never intended for this slope adjustment but it does work with a little tweaking.

To change the slope on the NC.
    The NC front seat locator tab can be placed on the top of the frame bracket instead in the bracket. This can be done a test. I liked the new position so much......in the process of fabricating a new seat front hold down bracket. The new bracket hold the front of the seat on the top of factory bracket.

This new position of the front of the seat is raised about 3/4"......downward slope gone.

Measured on the center stand middle of the seat has 3.0 degree slope down, if the front bracket location is changed the seat is level or 0 degree slope.

Seat mod......slope change-dscn0537-jpg

Seat mod......slope change-dscn0536-jpg
    Last edited by showkey; 12th January 2013 at 12:31.

Senior Member Seat mod......slope change
    Bike: 2012 nc700x
    Could you get some side pics? It's thought to see the seat level when your looking down on it
    2014 Honda GROM
    2013 Honda CBR600RR
    2013 Honda CRF250L
    2012 Honda NC700X

states visited on a bike

states visited on the NC

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by gpd211 View Post
    Could you get some side pics? It's thought to see the seat level when your looking down on it
    Sure more pics coming......the picture above show the distance change from the seat front to the body seam of the trunk.

Bike is on a lift on the center stand for reference:

Seat mod......slope change-dscn0538-jpgSeat mod......slope change-dscn0541-jpg
    Last edited by showkey; 12th January 2013 at 17:22.

Supporting Vendor

Bike: NC700X nc700xd
    i used a knee pad for gardening , cut it to fill in the low spot in the front and tapered it into the back of the seat, and stapled the seat cover back on. dale

Bike: NC700DCT
    I like the seat trick but where did ya get that level and how much wampum?

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by soggybottom View Post
    I like the seat trick but where did ya get that level and how much wampum?
    Wampum are traditional sacred shell beads of the Eastern Woodlands tribes of the indigenous people of North America. Wampum include the white shell beads fashioned from the North Atlantic channeled whelk shell; and the white and purple beads made from the quahog, or Western North Atlantic hard-shelled clam. Woven belts of wampum have been created to commemorate treaties or historical events, and for exchange in personal social transactions, such as marriages. In colonial North America, European colonists often used wampum as currency for trading with Native Americans.

The word "Wampum" comes from the Narragansett word for 'white shell beads'. Wampum beads are made in two colors: white ("W˛mpi") beads ("Wompam") from the Whelk shell ("Meteaűhock"), and purple-black ("S˙ki") beads ("Suckßuhock") from the growth rings of the Quahog shell ("Suckauanaűsuck").

The quahog shell was used to produce purple wampum and other shell pendants.

Seat mod......slope change-wampum_discs-26860701-jpg
    Last edited by Seabee Bob; 12th January 2013 at 20:16.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    i like this seat,and the firmness is great as well. but, i too have issue with this forward slope. i have owned,and currently owned many hondas',and have never had this issue. i would just order a corbin for it, but i am unsure if that would solve the problem. i have a great upolstry guy here locally, but how would you know where to start. it not exactly easy to make adjustments to the foam, and then recover it. ahhhh, what to do, i am equaaly frustrated with this seemingly minor issue.

Bike: NC700DCT
    I had my seat recushioned by a good m/c seat guy but I did not study the seat good enough and didn't supply him with enough data to make the seat level so when I got it back it was a perfect cushion job but the slope wasn't compleatly removed, my bad. I just went out and set up my seat as Showkey illustrates and HOT DAM, its almost on the money without a test ride but I found you can even raise the front higher, maybe up to an inch with a spacer (although an inch isn't needed) for your own specs. Making a square U to fit on top of the existing hold down and securing it with a bolt and nut is all that is needed.

I would like to dub this mod the "Showkey seat mod"

THANKS TO SHOWKEY!

Senior Member Seat mod......slope change happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Where did you get this bracket? How much does it cost and do you have a stepbystep dummy guide?
    Thanks.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    Where did you get this bracket? How much does it cost and do you have a stepbystep dummy guide?
    Thanks.
    EDIT: read further down in the posts......it is getting more complex to support the entire seat bottom structure

Nothing special....."Homemade bracket"........could be done a number of different ways to accomplish the same job.
    Seat mod......slope change-dscn0542-001-jpg
    Last edited by showkey; 13th January 2013 at 16:41.