Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Seat mod......slope change

Senior Member Seat mod......slope change
    Bike: NC700DCT
    I was thinking that same bracket Showkey, I may weld a 1.5 inch tongue to the bottom of the fabricated U to protrud to the rear. It will raise me another 1/4 inch and add some support to the plastic tongue on the seat. Either way it can be returned to stock simply by removing the 2 bolts.

Senior Member Seat mod......slope change Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by soggybottom View Post
    I had my seat recushioned by a good m/c seat guy but I did not study the seat good enough and didn't supply him with enough data to make the seat level so when I got it back it was a perfect cushion job but the slope wasn't compleatly removed, my bad. I just went out and set up my seat as Showkey illustrates and HOT DAM, its almost on the money without a test ride but I found you can even raise the front higher, maybe up to an inch with a spacer (although an inch isn't needed) for your own specs. Making a square U to fit on top of the existing hold down and securing it with a bolt and nut is all that is needed.

I would like to dub this mod the "Showkey seat mod"

THANKS TO SHOWKEY!

Does this raise the seat height at all as I have had mine lowered slightly and I don't want to raise it again ?
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
    Does this raise the seat height at all as I have had mine lowered slightly and I don't want to raise it again ?
    Raises the front of the seat about an inch...........back is same height and one would guess (did not measure) the middle of the seat up maybe a 1/2 inch.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    I was thinking that same bracket Showkey, I may weld a 1.5 inch tongue to the bottom of the fabricated U to protrud to the rear. It will raise me another 1/4 inch and add some support to the plastic tongue on the seat. Either way it can be returned to stock simply by removing the 2 bolts.
    Agree support of the tongue would not hurt. Good idea.

I took another look at the seat support system.....by raising the seat by the tongue only there are two rubber support buttons one on each side of the seat bottom that are no longer in contact with the frame pad. Would be a very good idea for these buttons to be supported as well. I am sure they did not add those rubber buttons for fun. NEED to tweak the design so not a put unneeded stress on the seat bottom over time. Longer buttons or two blocks in the area where those buttons land.

Picture of the seat bottom rubber bottom.
    Grease added to show where they land on the seat support system. (Tongue bracket removed)

IT is rarely simple and this is proof: So off to build some supports. Because I can not live with the stock slope.
    Seat mod......slope change-img_2027-jpgSeat mod......slope change-img_2026-jpg

It appears to me now, the seat tongue was never meant to bear down weight, only to stop the seat from lift and position right and left. The front seat bottom rubbers carry the weight. So next pic show the new "landing zone" for the front seat rubber bumpers supports.

Seat mod......slope change-img_2028-jpg

Caution: If your drilling in the seat support frame area for any mods, the fuel tank is directly below this area.....do not blow through and damage or drill or just plain knock a hole in the tank......... obvious but worth mentioning.

I now believe the added support of the tongue bottom is not needed. The design evolves.
    Last edited by showkey; 13th January 2013 at 18:21.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I DID THIS MOD TODAY WITH A LITTLE DIFFERENT TWIST. IN USING THESE PICS ALREADY HERE ,IT IS ABOUT AN HOUR JOB, IT IS EASY, AND EFFECTIVE. FIRST THING DID WAS DRILL 1/4" HOLE IN THE METAL TANG. I USED A STAINLESS SHOULDER BOLT, FROM HONDA, AS LOCATER AND CAP...I.E. THE SEAT CANNOT MOVE. THEN I CHUCKED UP A 1/2" END MILL, AND MACHINED OUT THE PLASTIC TOUNGE ON THE SEAT. YOU WILL NEED TO GO APPROX 1.00 IN TOWARDS THE REAR,USING THE CENTER PLASTIC RIB AS A GUIDE. LASTLY I DRILLED 2x 3/8 HOLES WHERE THE SEAT PADS RIDE ON EACH SIDE OF THE METAL TANG. I USED SOME SOFT 3/4" RUBBER SNUBBERS/PADS SOURCED FROM THE LOCAL HARDWARE. THEY SNAP RIGHT IN, AND STAY THERE. ONCE TOGETHER EVERYTHING IS VERY SOLID AND TIGHT. THE BACK OF THE SEAT LINES RIGHT UP, AND IT RAISES THE FRONT APPROX. 1". THERE ARE TWO REALLY NICE THINGS ABOUT THIS MOD. NONE OF THIS IS VISABLE OR PERMANATE OR IRREVERSIBLE. AND THE SEAT, WHILE RIGHT @ THE TANK, NO LONGER RUBS ON THE TANK,AND WILL NOT WEAR ON THE PAINT. THE ONLY WAY ANYTHING IS EVEN NOTICABLE,IS AT THE BOTTOM FRONT OF THE SEAT DOES NOT QUITE FOLLOW THE BODY LINE. BUT THE EXTRA COMFORT IS WELL WORTH IT. THIS IS A CHEAP ALTERNATIVE TO CHANGING OUT WHAT I FEEL IS A GOOD SEAT.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    sorry all that is in caps, usualy my computer takes of all that for me.

Bike: NC700X
    Do you have a nut on the the screws the hold the rubber bumpers for the seat?

Senior Member Seat mod......slope change
    Bike: NC700DCT
    I just put a 1/2 inch spacer where the rubber bumpers touch down. 1/2 inch seems right but it may need a shim or 2 to be perfect. I'll have to ride it some to make sure the rubber is touching down but this week its been colder in the Az desert than in the north east!

Super Moderator
    I just put a 1/2 inch spacer where the rubber bumpers touch down. 1/2 inch
    Agree........My spacers are 15mm high (little more than 1/2")

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tew47 View Post
    Do you have a nut on the the screws the hold the rubber bumpers for the seat?
    Rubber bumpers are held to the seat with "mushroom" heads on the bumper......no fasteners.