Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Madstad windscreen too effective?

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT

Question Is the Madstad windscreen too effective?

Used the stock windscreen until early fall last year. Installed the Madstad in the early fall and, after getting it adjusted properly, I thought it was perfect. Great wind protection, no buffeting, quiet and comfortable. What more could I ask out of a windscreen designed for touring? After all, I am modifying the bike specifically for touring.

I am having second thoughts about the Madstad.

I think it does too good of a job. On hot days (75F or warmer) I am too warm behind this windscreen.

I wear a KLIM Apex Air jacket. It's not a full mesh. It has mesh chest panels that zip open/closed. Mesh back panel that opens/closes. And mesh arm vents that run from the wrist to the shoulder, which can be zipped open/closed. I'm running with all the mesh panels fully open and still not getting enough airflow. The jacket is not at fault. The windscreen is too effective at doing what its supposed to do.

At this point I'm thinking of trying to figure out a "quick attach" system to remove the 18" touring screen. Maybe I'll buy a shorter Madstad if I can figure out a quick attach system so I can have a hot weather windscreen for local rides and a touring windscreen for highway and travel use.

Has anyone figured out a quick attach system to swap out windscreens?

Senior Member Is the Madstad windscreen too effective?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    In the summer I lower it to it's lowest setting and angle it towards me to get more airflow on me.

Is the Madstad windscreen too effective?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    For me, I wouldn’t risk sacrificing “no more buffeting” to get a little more airflow by switching windscreens. I just switch jackets - and it gets plenty hot here in Alabama. A full mesh Olympia does it for me. And when temps drop I go back to the three season style jacket. And I did get a better helmet with good venting. That helps as well.

Im supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Senior Member Is the Madstad windscreen too effective? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I remove the Madstad winglets in the summer along with the plastic covers over the Barkbuster hand guards. This give me enough air.

If all else fails it’s just 4 screws/nuts to swap the screen you have for a smaller/shorter Madstad screen.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I too felt a nice change when i removed the worthless factory "bikini" windscreen and went to the factory touring screen, then even more when i removed that one and went to the adjustable 20" MadStad. I do wear a full mesh SS jacket and it works pretty good, then this spring i added the Maxx Dri vest and wow what a difference that made. I just sold the 20" MadStad to a fellow rider here and went back to the factory touring screen while i am waiting for my new Parabellum windscreen to arrive. I like the air flow the factory touring screen provides, but man i also noticed the tremendous amount of pressure on my upper body at interstate speeds. Especially the next morning, man my core muscles were really sore...but the air flow sure was nice! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Im really looking forward to your review of the Parabellum.

Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Especially the next morning, man my core muscles were really sore...but the air flow sure was nice! :{)
    Motorcycle exercise

Bike: 2015 NC700x
    Has anyone tried the adjustable height slider brackets that can be bought for the Honda tall screen online for under $30? (edit: or know their height) At 6'2 the wind hits my ears pretty good as if flies through my helmet. Ducking about 3 inches is peaceful again bu not good for the neck and back. don't like earplugs or headphones, I prefer to hear everything around me, especially in the city.
    Is the Madstad windscreen too effective?-s-l1600-jpg
    Last edited by Jeffro; 8th June 2019 at 22:47.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Used the stock windscreen until early fall last year. Installed the Madstad in the early fall and, after getting it adjusted properly, I thought it was perfect. Great wind protection, no buffeting, quiet and comfortable. What more could I ask out of a windscreen designed for touring? After all, I am modifying the bike specifically for touring.

I am having second thoughts about the Madstad.

I think it does too good of a job. On hot days (75F or warmer) I am too warm behind this windscreen.

I wear a KLIM Apex Air jacket. It's not a full mesh. It has mesh chest panels that zip open/closed. Mesh back panel that opens/closes. And mesh arm vents that run from the wrist to the shoulder, which can be zipped open/closed. I'm running with all the mesh panels fully open and still not getting enough airflow. The jacket is not at fault. The windscreen is too effective at doing what its supposed to do.

At this point I'm thinking of trying to figure out a "quick attach" system to remove the 18" touring screen. Maybe I'll buy a shorter Madstad if I can figure out a quick attach system so I can have a hot weather windscreen for local rides and a touring windscreen for highway and travel use.

Has anyone figured out a quick attach system to swap out windscreens?
    Any pics of your setup the way it is with no buffeting? How tall are you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    6' tall
    33" inseam
    I wear an Arai Defiant helmet, which I only mention because it has an external sun screen that can be flipped up to make a sun visor or down to work like sunglasses. Even flipped up I get no buffeting and highway speeds. I will also frequently ride with my face shield open, which, depending on how i have the external sun shield set, can create a 'double peak' which, in theory could catch a lot of turbulent air.

Now that said, if you have the wrong cross wind angle hitting you or the a side wind, just like every other windscreen, the screen may not be able to do much, for general wind protection but I don't get that 'beaten up' feeling at highway speeds and I don't get helmet buffeting at any speeds.

Last edited by melensdad; 10th June 2019 at 12:50.