Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    ^^^THIS.

that kind of giant mass of wind blockage in front is going to bake a summertime rider.
    I'm actually considering switching to a full mesh jacket for hot/humid days like the Klim Induction or the Rev'it Airwave 2. The Klim Apex Air is nice because the mesh panels can be closed so it works well on cool mornings when the day will be heating up with the sun coming up. But on hot & humid days behind the 18" Madstad, especially if the sun is blazing down, I don't get enough airflow through a jacket that is roughly 40% mesh.

Don't misunderstand, I love the Madstad and highly recommend them to anyone who wants to pay for my free advice.

But I wonder if the helmet choice is more the culprit in the unbearable noise than the windshield? At 6' tall I don't get buffeted by the wind behind my Madstad unless I sit straight up with my butt slightly off the seat. I'm using an Arai Defiant Pro Shield helmet and, even with the vents open, is shockingly quiet compared to some other helmets I've tried.

Super Moderator Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    The problem with my Madstad setup is noise. Air from under the screen hits my neck and creates noise in the helmet. Turbulent air from above the screen is hitting top of helmet and creating booming noise. I get plenty of air flow. I guess I should have bought a taller Madstad, but I went with their recommendation. I think mine is a 20 inch, but I made the mistake of getting the sportier looking screen than has less coverage on the lower outsides. BTW, I’m 5’8”.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    I wonder if the helmet choice is more the culprit in the unbearable noise than the windshield? At 6' tall I don't get buffeted by the wind behind my Madstad unless I sit straight up with my butt slightly off the seat. I'm using an Arai Defiant Pro Shield helmet and, even with the vents open, is shockingly quiet compared to some other helmets I've tried.
    ^^^This^^^

Iím 6í with a 32Ē inseam. I installed a CalSci medium when I bought my 2015 based on CalSciís recommendation. It works great.

But the real improvement in wind noise came from my Schuberth C3 Pro. I can ride with the stock sport screen (head in the wind) and the same or possibly less wind noise than with the CalSci installed. The helmet is rated at 85db and it is very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GregC; 1st June 2019 at 10:09.

Senior Member Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Just take the car.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Super Moderator Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution 670cc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Just take the car.
    Just take the Goldwing. Smooth, quiet, ride with your face shield open.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Senior Member Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution dduelin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Just take the Goldwing. Smooth, quiet, ride with your face shield open.
    That describes the airflow behind my 20" Madstad on the NC. I ride most of the time with my face shield open. In the summer I remove the winglets and Barkbuster guards. I get more airflow around my lower torso this way but it doesn't seem to affect the breeze wafting across my face. My Madstad is 20", I'm 5'6", Madstand mounted in the original holes and slid down all the way on height adjustment.

I wonder if yours would be quieter if mounted higher. Mounting it too low chokes off air under the shield. The Madstad depends on laminar flow off the front of the shield and it needs lots of flow up the back side to reattach to the air streaming off the top and top corners. Mine is a 3rd generation system that did not come with the aluminum base plate so I fabricated a short flyscreen above the headlight to protect the back of the instrument pod and smooth the flow of air coming up under the lower edge.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    That describes the airflow behind my 20" Madstad on the NC. I ride most of the time with my face shield open. In the summer I remove the winglets and Barkbuster guards. I get more airflow around my lower torso this way but it doesn't seem to affect the breeze wafting across my face. My Madstad is 20", I'm 5'6", Madstand mounted in the original holes and slid down all the way on height adjustment.

I wonder if yours would be quieter if mounted higher. Mounting it too low chokes off air under the shield. The Madstad depends on laminar flow off the front of the shield and it needs lots of flow up the back side to reattach to the air streaming off the top and top corners. Mine is a 3rd generation system that did not come with the aluminum base plate so I fabricated a short flyscreen above the headlight to protect the back of the instrument pod and smooth the flow of air coming up under the lower edge.
    I will try raising the Madstad high, but that means I'll be looking through it.

I also wonder if the problem of air coming through below the screen is aggravated by the large handguards I have.

Lastly, mine in Madstad version 1.0. You have the later open frame mount design. I wonder if the air flow is different because of that.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Bike: NC700
    In response to some comments.
    1. Yes, it's not sexy. But the NC700 isn't a sexy bike. It's a utility bike - it's a bike of function. It's not quite a panty-dropper, but yes, I understand the screens are not aesthetically appealing. Having said that, I had a gal on the bike last weekend who loved the fact that she wasn't getting nailed by wind in the face.
    2. I'm 6ft. 32" inseam
    3. I understand some folks liking the wind in hot weather. I get it. But I do cross-country rides every year and am absolutely willing to tolerate some heat in order to not have a migraine from wind noise. I'm on the bike 15hrs per day really racking up some miles, so I'm very content sweating a bit in an effort to save my eardrums. I also love jamming out and it is impossible to listen to music without really jacking up the volume with the default setup.
    4. Looking through a windshield. A non-factor for me. But I understand how some folks may have issue with it. You get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I will try raising the Madstad high, but that means I'll be looking through it.

I also wonder if the problem of air coming through below the screen is aggravated by the large handguards I have.

Lastly, mine in Madstad version 1.0. You have the later open frame mount design. I wonder if the air flow is different because of that.
    I look over the top of mine. I think mine is mounted with the top edge about at the level of my chin. Mine was a prototype of the open frame no-base plate design and is pictured on the Madstad web site, I'm the guy in the blue T-shirt.

For reference, on my bike the top edge of the shield is 12.5" measured from the top edge of the instrument pod and the bottom edge is 13" from the lower edge of the "beak". A few months after that picture I trimmed about 1" off each of the lower corner extensions to clear the Barkbuster frames.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I have a MadStad 20" that i picked up used from a guy here on the site just to try one. i will be getting rid of it here soon in lieu for a larger one(just sold it June 2nd). It works ok in the top most position. But at 6'6", 230lbs and 36" insteam i need a larger screen. Although it is certainly tolerable, the wind noise is amazingly loud, even with ear plugs.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of the Parabellum lightly tinted screens. Charley makes some really nice screens for a lot of bikes. He has some impressive MPG contest wins over the years with his screens. :{)

Motorcycle Windshields for BMW, Aprilia, Buell, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha
    Last edited by Rapturee; 2nd June 2019 at 20:07. Reason: sold the MadStad windscreen
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!