Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife wants a LOWER + more comfortable seat on her 2016

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT

Question My wife wants a LOWER + more comfortable seat on her 2016

Help

My wife is complaining about the seat on her 2016 NC700x

In addition to comfort issues she would like a lower seating position, maybe an 1" lower. She tip-toes her bike when stopped and would like to be a bit lower to the ground. I'd like to avoid lowering the bike so suggestions on a seat with thinner, but still comfortable padding/shape would be great.

Suggestions please?

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Why do you want to avoid lowering it? I lowered mine 1 1/2” with Soupy’s adjustable links, (the front forks can be done easily with an Allen wrench). Best thing I have done to it so far.
    Ride safe, Carl

Senior Member My wife wants a LOWER + more comfortable seat on her 2016 dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    That seat is pretty thin to begin with. Scoop out 1" of foam and she'll be sitting close to the plastic seat pan.

You can slide the forks up some in the clamps to lower the forks and lowering links easily lower the rear to suit. I have my forks lowered 9/16" to sharpen the handling.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Super Moderator My wife wants a LOWER + more comfortable seat on her 2016 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    What dduelin said.

The rear of the stock seat is pretty thin due to the slope of the frame in that area. You can’t go much thinner there without sitting on the pan.

Seats that might lower the rider are the Seat Concepts low version, and the Corbin. I have tried neither one. The Corbin, I understand, is a hard seat that possibly sits a little bit lower than stock. (Corbin is proud of it’s name and displays it prominently on the side of the seat, something I’m not OK with).

The Shad seat is one I have tried. It looks like stock height or taller but the foam is soft and crushes down with rider weight. It sits a little lower than stock but tends to eventually force you in a low pocket near the frunk, because that’s basically the shape of it’s pan. You might try a Shad as it works well on short rides but ultimately gives out on support near the end of multiple day trips.
    Last edited by 670cc; 3rd March 2019 at 06:35.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Quote Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
    Why do you want to avoid lowering it? I lowered mine 1 1/2” with Soupy’s adjustable links, (the front forks can be done easily with an Allen wrench). Best thing I have done to it so far.
    I didn't want to change the dynamics of the handling of the bike and feared that lowered it would do exactly that.

But if you have an internet link to these Soupy's adjustable lowering links that you could provide I would appreciate it.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Here ya go- NC700X / NC700S Lowering Link Links Kit ( All Years)

If you take careful measurements front and back, and lower them equally, the handling dynamics should be the same as stock. The only thing to be aware of is the lower ground clearance, and lower peg height when cornering. It’s never been a problem for me.

Oh, one thing I forgot was you’ll have to change or alter your side kickstand. Soupy’s does sell an adjustable one, but I took mine off, cut it down exactly the amount I lowered, then welded, sanded, and painted it before re-installing. You can’t even tell it’s been done. It will also make it harder to use the center stand (If you have one). I roll the back tire on to a 2X4 when I use it, and that works for me. Good luck with whatever you do.
    Last edited by PapaC; 3rd March 2019 at 07:06.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I have a Shad i recently took off. I'll pm you. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    I have a Shad i recently took off. I'll pm you. :{)
    Interesting ... I replied!

Bike: 2014 nc700x dct
    My wife wears Joe Rocket Heartbreaker boots with a 2.5" heel - problem solved.

I did lower my rear 1" and have no plans for doing the front. It also helps with the seat slope issue.
    Last edited by zeronine; 3rd March 2019 at 16:41. Reason: boot name

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
    Here ya go- NC700X / NC700S Lowering Link Links Kit ( All Years)

If you take careful measurements front and back, and lower them equally, the handling dynamics should be the same as stock. The only thing to be aware of is the lower ground clearance, and lower peg height when cornering. It’s never been a problem for me.

Oh, one thing I forgot was you’ll have to change or alter your side kickstand. Soupy’s does sell an adjustable one, but I took mine off, cut it down exactly the amount I lowered, then welded, sanded, and painted it before re-installing. You can’t even tell it’s been done. It will also make it harder to use the center stand (If you have one). I roll the back tire on to a 2X4 when I use it, and that works for me. Good luck with whatever you do.
    Good point about the side stand. Also, if you have a centerstand, it will be much more difficult to get it up on that if you lower the bike more than half an inch.