Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?

Bike: NC700XA-C

Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?

Hi all; got the Honda side paniers for my 2013 NC700X, which don't make it very comfy for a pillion. Arguably, I'm not using them a lot either, so for now they've gone into the shed.

A top box could be a good option though, but the Honda option to complement the paniers is very pricey. I could go for Givi or other named brands - but I find myself wondering if the 72 litre capacity "universal" fitting top box I've seen in eBay for under £50 is a good investment or not.

So; any recommendations as to if I should go cheap - or go brand? How well do people find non standard top boxes mount to the Honda luggage rack?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    72L would be incredible. Mine is the 46L version and it seems to be good for now. :{)

Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?-msr-bottles-installed2-jpg
    Last edited by Rapturee; 27th January 2019 at 17:13.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2015 NC700S
    I ran this for one season, and gave it to my buddy and he ran it last season, (about 16k miles) still works great and weather proof. We are both pretty hardcore riders, rain or shine 30-100 degrees out. We off road and fall down as well, we both ran it bolted directly to the rack. This is small though if you are thinking you want 72 liter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by booblinker; 27th January 2019 at 17:15.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -MMOTO fully welded luggage rack
    -Dales seat rack
    -Corbin seat

Bike: NC700X
    Iím pretty sure thatís a typo or a mistake. I saw the listing and from the pictures, no way thatís a 72L. Itís a 47L that everyone else has. I have one myself though mine was a name brand, it has been solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Senior Member Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    I have 58L top case and thought that was big. Seems like there are some different listings for cases in the 72L range. vidaXL Motorbike Top Case 72L for 2 Helmet Motorcycle Bag Pannier Back Luggage: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike I did the math and it seems possible based on the dimensions provided on the listing. I can't imagine what a case that large would look like.

Member Top boxes: go cheap or go brand? New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Mine is the MMG https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It looks a lot like the Vida XL that potter posted above but about half the size. The Vida looks like it might be cheaper too. Oddly, I can't seem to get a version of a US page of Amazon to display it. But here is the MMG version that is just like mine but holds two helmets: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-To...+top+box&psc=1 , This one is only 46 L though

So I guess the question is: two helmets or one? I am pretty happy with my 32 L top box, it holds my helmet and it locks. I did have to drill extra holes in my Honda rack and it takes another key but the Honda box was much more expensive. It is stable and secure but does require a little more finesse to lock it than the OEM box does.

You may find a 72 L top box is a bit unwieldy for the NC, I don't know. I do know that I wouldn't even bother going that big unless I needed the room for an extra helmet and a kitten

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Senior Member Top boxes: go cheap or go brand? SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    The weight limit on the rear Honda rack is so low that it would have to be 72 liters of clothing. Maybe full of popcorn...

Bike: 2013 NC700X

Go Cheap

Quote Originally Posted by booblinker View Post
    I ran this for one season, and gave it to my buddy and he ran it last season, (about 16k miles) still works great and weather proof. We are both pretty hardcore riders, rain or shine 30-100 degrees out. We off road and fall down as well, we both ran it bolted directly to the rack. This is small though if you are thinking you want 72 liter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have one of those Emgo Trunks. They are pretty tough.

I got mine on the back of a well used 1975 BMW R75/6 I bought in 2003. I don't know when the previous owner installed it. I used it on the BMW for about 15,000 miles and then in 2007 moved it to a 250 Ninja for 70,000 miles including two trips coast to coast and once to Prudhoe Bay. I had it on a trail bike once and got stuck in a ditch. I was tugging on the handle of the box trying to lift the bike out of the ditch and it broke the latch away from the mounting platform. I was able to purchase a new replacement parts on E-Bay.
    Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?-haul-road-ninja-jpg

I've used it on my NC700X before I bought a different cheap box. Pretty certain the Emgo has has traveled over 100,000 miles. Now I use it on my Piaggio BV250. I don't expect it to fail, but if it is stolen somehow, I'll by another one.

Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?-img_5677-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?-img_5678-jpg 
    Last edited by ddennis669; 27th January 2019 at 22:30.

Senior Member Top boxes: go cheap or go brand? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    I have one of those cheap 42L universal top cases which I purchased 10+ years ago....takes a lickin and keeps on ticking. I have had it on multiple bikes. Key and latch still work. Holds my sports bag with ease (I pack light for my 3-4 day excursions). I have had 20+lbs in it with no issues. I would look it up but purchased in 2008 and no longer have links.

The Kappa bags are just generic versions of Givi (made by Givi), same product, lower prices.
    Below is pic of topcase which is 10+ years old

Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?-20181005_073931-jpg
    Last edited by davidc83; 29th January 2019 at 05:03.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Top boxes: go cheap or go brand? sumo's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by ddennis669 View Post
    I have one of those Emgo Trunks. They are pretty tough.

I got mine on the back of a well used 1975 BMW R75/6 I bought in 2003. I don't know when the previous owner installed it. I used it on the BMW for about 15,000 miles and then in 2007 moved it to a 250 Ninja for 70,000 miles including two trips coast to coast and once to Prudhoe Bay. I had it on a trail bike once and got stuck in a ditch. I was tugging on the handle of the box trying to lift the bike out of the ditch and it broke the latch away from the mounting platform. I was able to purchase a new replacement parts on E-Bay.
    Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?-haul-road-ninja-jpg

I've used it on my NC700X before I bought a different cheap box. Pretty certain the Emgo has has traveled over 100,000 miles. Now I use it on my Piaggio BV250. I don't expect it to fail, but if it is stolen somehow, I'll by another one.

Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?-img_5677-jpg
    +1 for the Emgo. Its a small top case but big enough to hold my Shoei GT Air (L) with Sena 20S attached. Good box, low price.