Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing front turn signals with driving lights

Senior Member Replacing front turn signals with driving lights
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC

Replacing front turn signals with driving lights

I'd like to mount a pair of LEDs in order to see a little better at night.

I already have a set of Acerbis Dual Road handguards, and was planning on adding the optional LED strips to them.

I was thinking that with turn signals moved there, I could mount the driving lights in place of the factory turn signals.

Has anyone done this?

Super Moderator Replacing front turn signals with driving lights 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    If I may make a comment, even if you didn’t ask for one:

You mentioned seeing better at night. However, to be seen better, it’s common opinion that if the auxiliary driving lights are separated from the headlight and themselves by more distance, the larger frontal display of lights makes the vehicle appear larger to other traffic. Therefore, it may be better to mount aux lights on crash bars or on the lower fork tubes. Or not, depending on what you like.

Also, if the turn signals are too close to the driving lights, the signals may be washed out by the brighter lights, and become inconspicuous. To alleviate that, you could wire the driving light to the existing running light wire so it shuts off when the turn signal is active.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

true, but having the lights up higher has some advantages as far as seeing goes.

I don't have crash bars, and haven't really liked having lights down low on the forks in the past.

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    Why not both?
    I installed the SW Motech handguards with turn signals. (I also installed Denali lights on a bar.)
    The original turn signals still work.
    Now if I could just remember to turn them off after a turn.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

the reason I'm considering it is that the factory turn signal location seems like an easy place to put the driving lights.

as far as wiring turn signals goes: are the factory turn signals single or dual filament? I know they're normally on and then turn off, but don't know if when they flash they're brighter than normal.

The factory turn signals are dual filament. One filament is the running light, the other is the turn signal. While the turn signal is active, whether in it’s on or off state, the running light filament is turned off.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

That makes wiring in a single filament a little trickier. I could probably do it with some diodes but guess I can't just plug in the wires.

running light wire to diode to junction to light
    turn signal wire to diode to junction to light

(on each side)

that should work, right?

I imagine I'd need an LED relay too

Rather than use running light power, people often run aux lights from a separate power source with a switch or better yet a programmable dimmer controller (such as a Skene IQ-275). Since LED aux lights often have wide beam patterns, it’s nice to be able to control their intensity in certain situations so as not to blind other drivers.
    Last edited by 670cc; 20th January 2019 at 09:43.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

Senior Member Replacing front turn signals with driving lights ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    true, but having the lights up higher has some advantages as far as seeing goes.

I don't have crash bars, and haven't really liked having lights down low on the forks in the past.
    Buy yourself (or make) something similar to the Denali light bar (simple flat stock piece of metal) and mount your lights nice and high. Rewiring the turn signals and hanging a pair of LEDs on those stalks would be a lot of unnecessary work IMHO. The Denali bar is designed to mount on the NC using a couple of stock bolt locations up under the "beak" and would be super easy. I know. I did it ;-)

In the second pic you can see the flat bar stock that the lamps mount to. No need to mount them on crash bars.

These are a pair of Clearwater Krista 2 lamps and they will (and do) turn night into day. They are designed for off road and have a relatively wide beam pattern and due to their retina burning capabilities an adjustable controller for their output is mandatory, otherwise they would be too bright unless running across Montana at 3am ;-)

Last edited by ld_rider; 20th January 2019 at 12:06. Reason: add pics
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

My plan had been wiring them to the brights, not lows