Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing front turn signals with driving lights

Senior Member Replacing front turn signals with driving lights
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    what does the flat bar mount to? bike is now at the suspension shop having some work done on the forks (they had WAY too little preload so I wanted to have them generally checked out)

Senior Member Replacing front turn signals with driving lights ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    There are a couple of bolts under the plastic below the headlamp. The bar uses those holes to mount the bar. The bar is simply a flat piece of stock with a couple of holes drilled it. If I had known how simple it was I would probably have gone to Home Depot and just bought a piece of flat stock for a couple of dollars and drilled it myself.

Denali Auxiliary Light Mount Honda NC700X 2012-2015 - RevZilla
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

at $35 and powdercoated it's a little temping to just buy it... but it looks like it puts the lights a little farther out than I'd go with, and if I'm drilling holes I'll just make it from scratch. Might use aluminum instead of steel, I have quite a bit of 3/4 .120 square tube.

Super Moderator Replacing front turn signals with driving lights 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    at $35 and powdercoated it's a little temping to just buy it... but it looks like it puts the lights a little farther out than I'd go with, and if I'm drilling holes I'll just make it from scratch. Might use aluminum instead of steel, I have quite a bit of 3/4 .120 square tube.
    Be aware that whenever you mount something under the beak, you'll want to ensure that the front fender will not hit it at full fork compression.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

I'm a little surprised that the camera mounted under the end of the beak doesn't show any signs of impact, nor does the fender.

Senior Member Replacing front turn signals with driving lights ld_rider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    My plan had been wiring them to the brights, not lows
    Mine are powered independent of the motorcycle's lighting system (but not ignition) and use the bike's high beam trigger in a pretty clever way...

A digital rheostat controls the lamp's output. I turn it down during the day and have the option of putting on yellow lens covers to be more conspicuous. These are features that lots of lamps have, especially if they are capable of pumping out serious lumens.

But, at night with the rheostat turned down (so not to blind oncoming traffic) if I hit my high beams they will trigger the aux lamps to go full on, regardless of rheostat setting. I think I rode the bike for about year before taking advantage of that option. No fumbling around trying to turn up the dial when I need more light Right Now!

I had no idea how useful that feature would be. It allows me to turn down the output and not blind anyone (giving me a vast improvement over the stock yellow candle) yet gives me full power at the flick of the motorcycle's high beam switch.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 21st January 2019 at 19:41.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

That's an interesting way of wiring them. What rheostat did you use?

The rheostat came bundled with the kit I bought, not sure were it was sourced from.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Senior Member Replacing front turn signals with driving lights dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    Mine are powered independent of the motorcycle's lighting system (but not ignition) and use the bike's high beam trigger in a pretty clever way...

A digital rheostat controls the lamp's output. I turn it down during the day and have the option of putting on yellow lens covers to be more conspicuous. These are features that lots of lamps have, especially if they are capable of pumping out serious lumens.

But, at night with the rheostat turned down (so not to blind oncoming traffic) if I hit my high beams they will trigger the aux lamps to go full on, regardless of rheostat setting. I think I rode the bike for about year before taking advantage of that option. No fumbling around trying to turn up the dial when I need more light Right Now!

I had no idea how useful that feature would be. It allows me to turn down the output and not blind anyone (giving me a vast improvement over the stock yellow candle) yet gives me full power at the flick of the motorcycle's high beam switch.
    I like your description of how you did it. A few years ago I was up in IL riding from Moonshine/Casey IL some 20 miles through the corn fields heading back to our hotel in a nearby town. I was following a friend who had really good lighting on his FJR. Said friend has competed and finished in rallies up to and including the IBA Rally and has serious Clearwater lighting up front - not sure of the girl's names but essentially it was like riding behind a Boeing 747 on final approach when he lit everything up. Not only could I see all the deer 1/2 miles down the road grazing on the roadside grass I could see the shy ones just peeking out of the corn rows as we passed. And we were doing 75 mph. I was afraid of the deer but I also did not want to get left behind with stock lighting so I tucked in close and held my breath. The next morning I commented on the practice of doing 75 mph at night on country roads. He has hit two deer, a bear, and a buzzard in the past and has a fatalistic approach to this custom. "You really can't swerve to miss them, it's blind bad luck to hit one or get hit by one, and since I've hit a few already, what are the chances I'll hit another?" I don't quite agree with this line of thinking but I have to admit extra lighting is a good thing.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

I've hit exactly one deer. It was unpleasant: doing 75 or 80, it jumped out in front of me from behind cover, I didn't have time to react before I hit it.

I broke 4 bones in my right wrist and hand (including the final digit of my right middle finger - pinched by the brake lever, so I know I was WOT when I hit it) and lacerated my spleen (hit the bars). No broken skin due to gear. It didn't even try to get up.