Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switched Power for LED Driving Lights

Bike: NC700X

Switched Power for LED Driving Lights

I have the subharness and was running my lights but it keeps flickering and been unreliable. I'm not interested in taking the bike apart to troubleshoot to the subharness. The heated grips and charging accessories are working fine that are on the subharness. I've disconnected the LED light and want to connect it directly to the battery on a switched power source since I'm pretty sure that one day I'll forget and end up with a dead bike. Any ideas? I'm pretty handy but I haven't seen anything that allows you to connect the LED lights to be only on when the bike is on. Inputs would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Run power from battery to a relay that is energized by a power source that is only on during time bike is on. Most kits come with a relay that is supposed to be powered from the high beam power wire so lights come on when high beam is on.

Negative wire goes from battery to lights. Positive wire runs to relay and then to lights. Small power source (high beam) runs to relay to power it when you want lights on.
    Make sure there is a fuse coming off the battery on the positive power wire.
    Flickering to me would be a loose wire or connection.
    Below is a typical PIAA set up
    And an explanation how a relay works. Sorry, I am not an artist or an engineer so it is not done beautify OR to perfection!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1wiseguy2; 31st August 2018 at 17:44.

Senior Member Switched Power for LED Driving Lights StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Quote Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
    I've disconnected the LED light and want to connect it directly to the battery on a switched power source since I'm pretty sure that one day I'll forget and end up with a dead bike. Any ideas? I'm pretty handy but I haven't seen anything that allows you to connect the LED lights to be only on when the bike is on. Inputs would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    I am not a mechanic or electrician, but I've added several lights, heaters, an extra power port.

The item you want is called a "relay". See [HERE] (link active 9/2018)
    Switched Power for LED Driving Lights-711f-r2t1cl-_sl1325_-jpg
    Switched Power for LED Driving Lights-71a038lgcgl-_sl1500_222-jpg
    I have one wired directly to a fused connector on the battery.
    It accepts THREE inputs:
    hot and ground (from the battery),
    AND an third input from something that is on ONLY when the bike key is turned on.

It has two outputs (Ground and HOT for whatever accessory you want to power).

I've connected the THIRD "input" to the turn signal running light wire. (you have to find that on your own...not hard.)

The relay forwards battery power to the accessory ONLY when the THIRD input is ON. Thus, if you turn the key off, the running lights go out, and the relay stops sending power to the accessory.

Relays I use are all under the left side "frunk" plastic.
    I learned this all from kind and patient folk on this board. I hope this helps.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: NC700X, XL350R, CT90 (need to sell), IT175, VFR700 (gone)
    If the LED amperage is low, tap off the high beam wire. There is already 5 amps going through it. This is what I did and it's been trouble free for over a year/6000 miles. No failure prone relay...

Senior Member Switched Power for LED Driving Lights GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Although more expensive than a simple relay, the Skene controller ties your Led auxiliary lights into your existing light switch and lets you set the % dimming when on low, and uses 100% when on hi beams. Easy to install and works great

Skene Lights Online Store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 12 NC700X
    Why not use a relay but no switch? I leave mine on day and night. Day for being conspicuous.

Senior Member Switched Power for LED Driving Lights ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
    II'm pretty handy but I haven't seen anything that allows you to connect the LED lights to be only on when the bike is on.
    My LEDs are simply triggered by the headlight HOT wire. Easy peasy! Because most LEDs pull such low amperage (one of the main points of having LEDs) a relay isn't necessary.

Relays were used in the old days when guys (like me!) ran 200 or more watts of PIAA 910s ;-)

I suppose if you have some really huge, honking LEDs a relay would be the way to go, but mine are only about 30 watts each on full power.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 1st September 2018 at 23:00.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: NC700X
    Okay got it. I was more confused with the various types of relays since some have four or five pins. Think I know what needs to be done. Got a wiring harness on order and Iíll be using the lead from my sub harness that I used for the LEDs originally as my wire to trigger the relay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Senior Member Switched Power for LED Driving Lights
    Switched Power for LED Driving Lights
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    On 4-pole relays, the wires are attached as follows: #30 is 12v coming in from battery, #85 is ground, #86 is a source for 12v that is only energized with key ON, and #87 is the wire to the accessory. These four numbers appear on every 4-pole relay and their functions are always the same.

Super Moderator Switched Power for LED Driving Lights 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    What DirtFlier said, plus: if you are concerned about a fifth terminal 87a, if present, it is the normally closed contact. 87a would supply power to the accessory device when the bike is off, and remove power when the bike is on. That would not be useful in most applications, so just leave it unconnected, but isolated from ground.
    Last edited by 670cc; 3rd September 2018 at 11:35.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250