Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input

Senior Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input MalcolmReynolds's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X

Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input

Well I have been meaning since last year to put a GPS on the bike. I took one look at the price of the Garmin and Tom Tom motorcycle specific GPS and that halted those plans in my tracks.

I personally perfer a dedicated GPS. My Garmin in my car does a decent job and is frankly just easier to deal with than my phone.

What do you guys think? I saw on ADVrider some MT5001 chinese affordable GPS, but reviews seem to be sparse and some mixed reports on how well they work. So I would love some feedback on affordable GPS solutions for the bike. Thanks.

Senior Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input

I donít think thereís a clear winner in this discussion. Dedicated motorcycle GPS are easier to use, glove friendly, weather resistant, etc., but are ridiculously expensive for what they are (IMO).

Iíve used a Garmin Zumo, sold it and used my iPhone, bought an iPad mini and used that, sold that and now Iím back to a Zumo.

As far as iPhone apps, I like Co-Pilot. However it cannot share routes in any easy way, and you canít plan a route on a laptop and transfer to the app. Glove friendly also matters - even with ďiPhone friendlyĒ gloves the iPhone screens are hard to use while riding.

So the cheapest method is a smartphone (if you have one already, or by buying a cheap older one) and an app. But there are drawbacks. A Zumo is much more convenient, but thereís a large premium to pay for that convenience.

Senior Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input GgarryP's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X
    I've been using my cell and Google Maps. It's working fine. And the price is right.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Garry

Two wheels and keels

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I've used a Garmin 52LM. Works well enough except in bright sunlight and it's not waterproof. Used it last year on a long trip. Great for finding gas, food and motels.

A motorcycle specific GPS would be nice, but as mentioned......$$$

Senior Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    The way I use nav there isn’t a suitable solution other than a dedicated motorcycle GPS. I have held the cost down by buying used ones from friends or factory refurbished ones that are good as new but one generation old.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmReynolds View Post
    I would love some feedback on affordable GPS solutions for the bike.
    I have a Garmin Zumo 590LM with TPMS and love it. Super fast CPU for recalculating, nice big screen, very robust, a really nice unit.

As Dave posted, check out used or refurbs...I wouldn't bother with a Chinese knockoff or trying to cobble up an automotive unit to work on the bike. I would just use my phone instead and save up some $$ for the real deal.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input
    Bike: 12 NC700x
    I picked up a used Montana and like it a lot for my uses. To me, the Zumo's have a lot stuff built in that I will never use. They also drop all the minor road detail as soon as you start to zoom out. Those are the roads I want to see.

Senior Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    I use a Kyocera Hydro Air model cell phone as GPS.
    It's waterproof and costs about $33 at Walmart.

It's loaded with "TomTom GO" software (free). Live traffic costs about $20 a year.
    It has no 3G/4G chip in it, so it can't make phone calls, but the WiFi works so I can update the navigation software when I'm connected over WiFi. It carries a full map internally, so navigation works even when I have NO network access.
    (GPS always works... at least until the war starts.)

It is "tethered" to my cell phone (Galaxy S4) so that it has internet access while I ride for traffic routing (while 3G/4G signal is available)

For the money, it's an excellent solution.

It's powered by cable connected to a car "power" port mounted inside the Frunk. It charges while I ride, and I can turn the power to both devices ON/OFF with a toggle switch without stopping or disconnecting the wires. (see toggle switches in lower left corner of the photo.)

I use RAM mounts and make my own cradle for it.
    The hand made visors keep the sun off both devices so I can see them better.
    (see pictures below).

You could also use it to play music at the same time it was handling GPS navigation.
    Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input-kyocera-jpg
    Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input-mount1-jpg
    Last edited by StratTuner; 16th April 2018 at 07:44.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: 2014 NC750x
    I use an old iPhone 5s and primarily use Co-Pilot or Google Maps. I really like Co-Pilot's safety view - easy to read and all the information I need.
    I used an old anti-glare monitor film that I found at work and cut to size inside the case. I also made the plastic sunshield but it doesn't really work well for most sun directions.
    I use Spotify with downloaded playlists on it as well so my turn by turn directions work well while playing music. I have the audio going through my Sena 20s
    Power is fed into the frunk to my switched AC Outlet. It is in a rugged but not waterproof cheap case.

It is all connected to a very sturdy bicycle phone mount (which I got years ago in Winners so I don't know where to get one) which is clamped onto a round bar I mounted to the top of the MadStad brackets. And no, it is not in the way at all... I see right over it all just fine and it is really nice to have the GPS in the general field of view without taking my eyes off the road too much.

FYI, that bar is this:
    KUNGSFORS Rail - IKEA
    You pop the bolts out of one end, cut to length and push them back it. I hammered the end afterwards to re-crimp it as best as I could. A little sanding and flat spray-paint and done.

Last edited by lue42; 16th April 2018 at 09:11.
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

--== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

Senior Member Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Lue42, wow! love how it's mounted high like that.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson