Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing auxiliary lights

Bike: 2014 NC750x

Installing auxiliary lights

I know this has been asked before but I am confused about it... and also a little paranoid about electrical stuff.

I want to get lights to mount to my engine guards.

I have a 2014 NC750X non-DCT. It has factory heated grips and the factory installed cigarette plug in the frunk. I bought the bike used and with that stuff already installed. I have never done anything electrical other that connect in some admore lights on the back with Positap's.

I was thinking about getting these:
    Wecade(R) Motorcycle 125W CREE U5 LED Driving Fog Head Spot Light White Lamp Headlight (Black), LED Light Kits - Amazon Canada

1 - Is that headlight a decent choice?

2 - How/where do I connect it? Would I have the sub harness that people talk about due to the cigarette plug or heated grips? If so, where would it be and how do I wire to it? What plastics would I have to remove to get to where I need to work?

3 - If I were to put a switch on it, how would I wire it in? Would this switch be ok?
    Ambuker 12v 16A waterproof Motorcycle CNC aluminium alloy Switches 7/8" 22mm Handlebar headlight Switch and 2 wires with Red Led Light, Switches - Amazon Canada

4 - I heard it is normal to turn off auxilary/fog lights when the high beams are on - or at least that is the way it is on a lot of bikes. What do you think of that? If so, how would that be wired?

Any information/advice is greatly appreciated. Links to threads which already answer it also appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

--== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

Senior Member Installing auxiliary lights GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I think the primary issue is whether you have the Honda sub harness or not. If so, then you have one installation path. If not, you have a bunch of different options with varying cost, complexity, and flexibility

I believe with the factory heated grips and 12v plug you likely do have the subharness, but others that have it will have to chime in. If so you can search this forum for several threads on installing auxiliary lights with the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700X
    95% sure you have a subharness. Not sure I would do the job alone if you’ve never done anything similar. Study the instruction manual for subharness install and it’ll give you a good idea on what is involved or watch all three parts of this guy’s video and see if it is something you wanna do. There is a lot of plastics that needs to be removed. For the light, you can add a separate switch so you can manually turn it on and off.

NC700X 12v Accessory Install Part 1 - YouTube

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Senior Member Installing auxiliary lights superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    I’m not sure those lights would work since they are 125w a piece. Someone else with more expertise please confirm or deny this. The sub-harness is all run through a 7.5 amp fuse. Which, if the heated grips and 12v outlet are already through it, then you would definitely not be able to run everything at once, I would imagine.

I bought some cheap 10w LED lights off eBay. But got a couple duds in the process that the seller had to refund me for. Other than that, I love them! I have them run through the sub-harness to be on while the bike is on. I do not have them run through an on/off switch.

From the sub-harness, I basically ran extra wire to the length I needed, soldered and shrink wrapped everything as neat as I could, then ran the wires in routes of other existing wires and tied them to various points to keep them secure.

Put everything back together and you’re done! Although, taking the side panel off for the first time is daunting to the under experienced (me). Only managed to break 1 clip! The tutorial posted above was helpful to me. As well as the diagram in the service manual.

Cycle terminal is where I bought the connectors that I used to connect the wires to the sub-harness. Commonly called hitachi connectors. You’ll need the “3 pin” connectors but will only use two wires per connector. Brown colored wire on the sub- harness is switched power of the bike to be connected to the red wire of the light. Green of the sub-harness is the ground to be connected to the black wire of the light.

All in all, get some help from someone more familiar if you are not comfortable doing this yourself.
    Last edited by superdedooperman; 28th March 2018 at 19:53.

Super Moderator Installing auxiliary lights 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Something is seriously wrong with that product listing. Mere 12.5 watt CREE LEDs are quite bright. 125 watt CREE LEDs would ignite the trees beside the road. A pair of these at 250 watts total would not run off the accessory harness, and also would overload the bike's electrical system.

Amazon is notorious for bad product descriptions, and this one is a Prime (pun intended) example.

EDIT:
    Upon further inspection, the listing says in the fine print: actual power 15W. Talk about deceptive advertising. . . .
    Last edited by 670cc; 28th March 2018 at 19:57.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC700X
    I have heated grips (bike master), led aux lights and 12v/USB (el cheapo) all on my subharness and never had any issues while using all three at once.

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Senior Member Installing auxiliary lights superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
    I have heated grips (bike master), led aux lights and 12v/USB (el cheapo) all on my subharness and never had any issues while using all three at once.

I thought that due to the 125w description on amazon. Knew that would be an insane draw of power! 670cc has helped clear that up. There won’t be a problem running them all at once with 10-20w per light.

Bike: NC750XD
    The sub harness is rated 7.5 amps. Heated grips typically are 4, USB plug up to 2, and a pair of 15W lights close to 3. Hopefully not all are on full power simultaneously, but there is no room left so do not exceed 15W per light if you plan to connect through the sub harness.

The presented model has an annoying multi mode behavior, and you have to switch them off - on repeatedly to change mode. I personally hate having to fiddle with a switch, so I would advise against it. You would also have a hard time linking them to high beam or a dimmer without internal modification.

I got this type myself (but flood, not spot) and am happy with them : WEISIJI 10W Motorcycle Auxiliary Lights Led Work Light Modular Spot Lamp Truck Light for Offroad Led Lights Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat Small Driving Lamp (Pack of 2 ), Accessory Lighting & Kits - Amazon Canada

Bike: NC750XD
    And as for the additional questions, I have a switch on the handlebar to turn them off when I feel like it, this switch is simply in-line between the sub harness and the lights (custom cabling required). To turn them on when using high beam you would need an extra relay or a dimming controller. You could power them from the high beam wiring but I advise against modifying the bike electrical harness.

In my case I ended up preferring simple manual control through a switch.

Senior Member Installing auxiliary lights StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C

red-neck engineering aux lights

I have [THESE] $18 on a separate (fused) circuit coming directly off the battery.

Auxbeam 4" LED Light Bar 2Pcs 18W LED Pods 6Pcs 3W CREE LEDs 1800LM Spot Beam Waterproof LED
    Installing auxiliary lights-lights-jpg
    They are controlled from a switch mounted on the left mirror root. It's close to the existing "bright" switch and easy to reach without looking.
    Installing auxiliary lights-switch-jpg

I have [THIS] connected to the battery:
    (Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug)
    Installing auxiliary lights-saebatt-jpg
    and then [THIS] connected to it
    (NOCO ISCC2 5-Way SAE Adapter Connector)
    Installing auxiliary lights-sae5-jpg
    This setup powers the four accessories on my motorcycle, the lights being one of them.
    Each accessory has it's own relay triggered by the running light wire from the left turn indicator.
    That wire is HOT only when the key is turned on, so all accessories go OFF when the key goes OFF.

The wiring for all these and the relays is stored under the left "fake vent" plastic siding.

[THESE] are the realays I used:
    (5 Pack - EPAuto 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style)
    Installing auxiliary lights-relays-jpg
    I should have been smarter and used a single relay for all the accessories, but I didn't. I was learning how to do it as I went. Version II would be different.

Here is a picture of the lights installed.
    Installing auxiliary lights-frontview-jpg

Yes, the harness thing IS a better idea. Use that if you know how.

Annecdote: I was out riding in a remote area and burned out the headlight bulb. The headlight was completely dark and would NOT come on. (turned out it had come un-plugged). I had NO headlights, so the AUX light worked as a stand in for the headlights. I was darned glad to have them in place. (switched them off for the few on-coming vehicles I saw.)
    Last edited by StratTuner; 29th March 2018 at 08:26.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson