Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Installing auxiliary lights

  1. #11
    Senior Member Wildfire's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700XA
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    La Ronge, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    205
    With the number of questions you have I would suggest finding a mechanically/electrically inclined friend, buy a case a beer and invite them over.


    Personally I would not use those particular lights as they are on a motorcycle. They may be fine but scream cheap Chinese crap (no offense to the chinese). I would have trouble trusting the claims or any seller/manufacturer who advertises the incandescent wattage equivalent as actual power draw.

    The pictures appear to show the light with a extremely abrupt cutoff and a round beam pattern, If you want them to provide additional lighting on a dark road they would likely create new dark spots. Depending on what you want the lights for I would probably go with a slightly more expensive pair of pod lights similar to the auxbeams mentioned above, or upgrading your main beam, or both.


    If that switch can really handle 16A you won't *need* a relay, but the switch will last longer if it simply trips a relay rather than carry the load, especially on a DC circuit.


    Fog lights and Aux lights have different purposes. Depending on your local laws the rules differ but "fog" lights generally have to be aimed level to or lower than the low beam cutoff with a crisp cutoff themselves. Fog lights often turn off when high beam is activated. Their function is to have more light on the road in front of the vehicle in foggy conditions where a higher beam would scatter reducing visibility.

    Aux lights (on cars trucks etc.) are traditionally the opposite. Designed to supplement the high beams for better visibility in dark conditions away from other vehicles. They are generally wired to turn off when switching to low beam.

    Motorcyclists add lights for a third reason, to make themselves more conspicuous to other road users. Remember you want to make other drivers see you better, not blind them while they are driving toward you, so it's important not to shine super bright auxiliary lights right into their eyes at night. Adding lights to improve others perception of you that you need to turn off for oncoming traffic is counter-productive.


    Myself I have replaced the stock Halogen headlight with an LED retrofit, which made a marked improvement, then added two 10W light pods that run at 10% on low beam and 100% on high beam. I used the Skene light dimmer to accomplish that so I had both extra "bee seen" aux lights for riding in the day and for oncoming traffic, and impressively bright "see" aux lights when on empty roads at night. The dimmer is kind of pricey but I feel it is worth it if you really need more light.

  2. #12
    Senior Member lue42's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC750x
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    St Thomas, Ontario
    Posts
    260
    I actually feel comfortable doing this work - I am just the type that researches to death beforehand.

    I don't have the bike out of storage yet, so I don't know if I have the subharness. But, since i have the frunk outlet and factory grips it is same to assume it does.

    (see edit below)

    Can anyone confirm that I would be ok to hook into this harness if I bought the lights and switch in my original post and this harness (connecting ground and power to the harness, replace fuse with 7.5a and replacing with the handlebar switch)

    TURBOSII Offroad Led Work Light Bar Wiring Harness Kit 12V 40A Fuse Relay On/Off Switch Fog Light Heavy Duty Wire 2 Lead for Polaris Ford Harley Chevy Jeep Wrangler Jk Tj Truck Tacoma Dodge GMC Toyota ( 2 LEAD UP TO 180W), Accessory Lighting & Kits - Amazon Canada

    I think buying a properly wired harness with a fuse and relay is better and cheaper for me than buying the individual components. I don't know if those lights will work out in the end. Yes, they are cheap and have fairly direct spot but from the videos I have seen when they work, they work well and the light looks ok. If they don't work out I can look into better lights to replace them.

    ****
    EDIT
    ****

    Ok, final update/question... I am going to buy these:

    Reasoning is... I would need to buy inline fuse and wire anyway, so might as well just go with the harness and add a relay:

    Harness (relay, fuse etc)
    MicTuning MIC-B1001 Wiring Harness (for LED Light Bar Off Road Power 40A Relay Fuse On-Off Switch (2 Lead 12Feet)): Amazon.ca: Office Products

    Lights (cheap u5 cree lights)
    Wecade(R) Motorcycle 125W CREE U5 LED Driving Fog Head Spot Light White Lamp Headlight (Black-Pack of 2), LED Light Kits - Amazon Canada

    Switch (3 wire)
    iztor 12v 10A Motorcycle CNC aluminium alloy rocker Switches 7/8" 22mm Handlebar headlight Switch with indicator light Sport Dirt iztor Electric Bike Interrupteur Moto, Pushbutton Switches - Amazon Canada

    Any last minute warnings/advice?
    Last edited by lue42; 30th March 2018 at 11:00.
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

    --== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

  3. #13
    Senior Member Installing auxiliary lights GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    549

    Installing auxiliary lights

    FWIW - hereís my post about installing driving lights (primarily to be seen during the day and some addl light at night) using low cost lights and the Skene controller that makes the electrical installation simple and integrates the new lights with the headlight switch ( you can set the level of the lights when the headlight switch is in high or low). Not the cheapest option but not crazy (like Denali) and very simple to do. I also use an Innov Powerhub for power distribution but thatís not necessary just for the lights.

    4th post lists everything.

    LED Spot Lights
    LED Spot Lights


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    332
    Here's the link to the subharness connectors and where you can buy them.

    Corresponding connectors

    I wouldn't bother if the wiring harness. Just go straight to the lights to the subharness and so they turn on when the motorcycle is on. If you want to have a way to turn it off, add a simple switch, like the diagram below. Just imagine instead of the battery, it'll be coming from the two wires from the harness connector.

    Installing auxiliary lights-on_off_toggle_switch_diagram-jpg

    2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

  5. #15
    Senior Member flyinfree.00's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by lue42 View Post
    I actually feel comfortable doing this work - I am just the type that researches to death beforehand.

    I don't have the bike out of storage yet, so I don't know if I have the subharness. But, since i have the frunk outlet and factory grips it is same to assume it does.

    (see edit below)

    Can anyone confirm that I would be ok to hook into this harness if I bought the lights and switch in my original post and this harness (connecting ground and power to the harness, replace fuse with 7.5a and replacing with the handlebar switch)

    TURBOSII Offroad Led Work Light Bar Wiring Harness Kit 12V 40A Fuse Relay On/Off Switch Fog Light Heavy Duty Wire 2 Lead for Polaris Ford Harley Chevy Jeep Wrangler Jk Tj Truck Tacoma Dodge GMC Toyota ( 2 LEAD UP TO 180W), Accessory Lighting & Kits - Amazon Canada

    I think buying a properly wired harness with a fuse and relay is better and cheaper for me than buying the individual components. I don't know if those lights will work out in the end. Yes, they are cheap and have fairly direct spot but from the videos I have seen when they work, they work well and the light looks ok. If they don't work out I can look into better lights to replace them.

    ****
    EDIT
    ****

    Ok, final update/question... I am going to buy these:

    Reasoning is... I would need to buy inline fuse and wire anyway, so might as well just go with the harness and add a relay:

    Harness (relay, fuse etc)
    MicTuning MIC-B1001 Wiring Harness (for LED Light Bar Off Road Power 40A Relay Fuse On-Off Switch (2 Lead 12Feet)): Amazon.ca: Office Products

    Lights (cheap u5 cree lights)
    Wecade(R) Motorcycle 125W CREE U5 LED Driving Fog Head Spot Light White Lamp Headlight (Black-Pack of 2), LED Light Kits - Amazon Canada

    Switch (3 wire)
    iztor 12v 10A Motorcycle CNC aluminium alloy rocker Switches 7/8" 22mm Handlebar headlight Switch with indicator light Sport Dirt iztor Electric Bike Interrupteur Moto, Pushbutton Switches - Amazon Canada

    Any last minute warnings/advice?
    The lights you are looking at have some not so stellar reviews. The high low function is kinda wonky, people complain that they don't stay synched up. Both lights on high, power off and on to change to dim, and they somehow glitch so that one is high and one is low. This would annoy the hell out of me.

    Was looking into these lights before(not these exact ones but anther Chinese iteration) and this issue popped up often.

    Just my .02

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Senior Member lue42's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC750x
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    St Thomas, Ontario
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinfree.00 View Post
    The high low function is kinda wonky, people complain that they don't stay synched up.
    Yeah, noticed that too... but it is mainly an issue if you don't have a switch installed AND... I found a hack to make them only go to high beam (crazy as it sounds, it is removing a chip from the board - check youtube).

    Honestly, i don't do a lot of night or bad weather riding. I got caught in some bad weather a few times last year and when I do go out at night I feel a little more light might help. It is really just a proof of concept that is worth buying at this price for the fun of it. All this research and questions are just to make sure I don't frig anything up. With the harness and everything I learned I don't think there is much risk at all. If I like it, and it works well then I will add "good" lights to my farkle spending wish list.

    Also, it doesn't look like much good weather for riding for a couple more weeks so might as well do something fun with the bike.
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

    --== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC700x, CTX700
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2
    I'm installing some Denali lights with the DataDim option. i got them all wired in, but they only seem to work on low. Email exchange with Denali service, tried various combinations and it appears the controller is bad. Does anyone know if wiring into the hi and low wires per the installation instructions works for the DataDim on the NC700X? When I go from low to hi, I lose all aux lighting. Not sure if this is due to the controller or if the low beam on the bike loses power when the hi beam is on. Do I have to find another switched source to power the low beam on the aux lights?

  8. #18
    Super Moderator Installing auxiliary lights 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
    I'm installing some Denali lights with the DataDim option. i got them all wired in, but they only seem to work on low. Email exchange with Denali service, tried various combinations and it appears the controller is bad. Does anyone know if wiring into the hi and low wires per the installation instructions works for the DataDim on the NC700X? When I go from low to hi, I lose all aux lighting. Not sure if this is due to the controller or if the low beam on the bike loses power when the hi beam is on. Do I have to find another switched source to power the low beam on the aux lights?
    To answer one of your questions: the low beam goes off when the high beam comes on. Both filaments are not lit at the same time.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC700x, CTX700
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks. I'll find another power source for the low beam.

  10. #20
    Super Moderator Installing auxiliary lights 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
    Thanks. I'll find another power source for the low beam.
    If the thought should cross your mind about using a front running light as a power source, remember that the running light filament goes off during the time that the turn signal is flashing.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Similar Threads

  1. LED strip lights as DTL's (Daytime running lights)
    By RinconVTR in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd May 2016, 19:14
  2. Suggestions for auxiliary light mounts
    By dduelin in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 28th December 2015, 08:01
  3. Auxiliary light prototype
    By Samurai in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15th July 2015, 07:56
  4. New Auxiliary Tank
    By Fuzzy in forum NC750 General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd May 2015, 09:07
  5. Well I just inquired about an auxiliary tank.
    By turbodieseli4i6 in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 9th June 2013, 20:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •