Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets?

Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT

Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets?

I got nice, but magnetic Cortech tank bag as a present. I bought magnets to put on the bottom of the frunk cover but it doesn't work. At least not strong enough (to me) to put the bag and be calm

Since it looks like the cover itself is made from two parts, I was thinking to separate them and glue magnet bands in between.

Anybody did it before?

Any other option/solution to use magnetic tank bag on my NC is welcomed.

Bike: 2013 Super Tenere, 2006 Husky 610
    Wouldn't you just want to add metal? The bag should have magnets in the base... so you just need to add steel to the underside of the plastic trunk.
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

I didn't try with the metal, but if additional magnet under the frunk cover will not "attract" the magnets on the bag, I'm kinda sure just metal will have less chance, right?

Bike: 2014 NC700X, 2018 GL 1800 Tour DCT
    Depends on the orientation of the magnets, one direction attracts, the other one repels.

Senior Member Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by afan View Post
    I bought magnets to put on the bottom of the frunk cover but it doesn't work.
    Wrong magnets.....

Get yourself a couple of Neodymium magnets from an old hard drive and you will struggle to get the tank bag off. Seriously.

Check ebay for prices...they are inexpensive and the strength of them is unreal....Be careful handling a pair since when they attract, they don't care if your finger is in between them or not ;-)

EDIT: Putting electronic devices in a tank bag secured with Neodymium magnets might not be healthy for the devices.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 1st October 2017 at 15:08.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: NC700X
    I went down that magnetic rabbit hole a couple of moths ago. I have a bunch of old hard drive magnets, and they aren't that thick, but there still isn't enough room between the inner and outer cover pieces to fit the magnets. Also the top cover is thick enough for the magnetic field to drop off quite a bit.

Bike: Various
    I had a magnetic tank bag once. Over 30k miles it pretty much destroyed the paint on the top of my Nighthawk S' gas tank. The rest of the bike was still beautiful.

I've gotten away from tank bags in general since hard luggage became commonly available, but I'd personally stay away from the magnetic variety in particular.

FYI, YMMV, MHO, etc.
    Last edited by GlennC; 1st October 2017 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    Wrong magnets.....

Get yourself a couple of Neodymium magnets from an old hard drive and you will struggle to get the tank bag off. Seriously.

Check ebay for prices...they are inexpensive and the strength of them is unreal....Be careful handling a pair since when they attract, they don't care if your finger is in between them or not ;-)

EDIT: Putting electronic devices in a tank bag secured with Neodymium magnets might not be healthy for the devices.
    So, than, more reasons to NOT use neodymium magnets than to use them

Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    I went down that magnetic rabbit hole a couple of moths ago. I have a bunch of old hard drive magnets, and they aren't that thick, but there still isn't enough room between the inner and outer cover pieces to fit the magnets. Also the top cover is thick enough for the magnetic field to drop off quite a bit.
    That's why I was thinking about magnetic tape, like THIS

Senior Member Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets? Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by afan View Post
    I got nice, but magnetic Cortech tank bag as a present. I bought magnets to put on the bottom of the frunk cover but it doesn't work.

Any other option/solution to use magnetic tank bag on my NC is welcomed.
    Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I wonder if anyone has tried fitting a newer 2016 plus frunk lid to any 2012-2015 frunks? The frunk container looks the same in both year models, so the mating surfaces may be compatible, with the newer model’s lid a more concave shape being different and having those slots for tank bags? If the mating surfaces work, the lid could always then be painted to match the bike.

Any members living close to other members willing to test this idea? I think only the seat needs to be removed to get access to take the lids off and see if they can be swapped.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.