Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets?

Bike: nc700x
    Just rivet some painted steel plates on the outside of the frunk lid. You only need to put them where the bag has its magnets...

Senior Member Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets? FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    I have the 2016 model and have not really seen a good tank bag that has straps in a horizontal direction that would work well. Because I wanted just a small bag with a map case on the top I went with a bag with suction cups. I only use the fore/aft cups, leaving the L/R side cups tucked under the bag as they won't stick to the black plastic parts that they reach. If you can find a model with D-rings in the corners then you can add a couple of 1" straps to run through them and the rails and then put on QR buckles. I'll probably do that at some point but the bag is held pretty securely with just the 2 cups (they're probably 2.5" cups, not the little quarter sized versions). I did a 700 mile ride and a 350 ride and the bag stayed exactly where I put it. That being said it is closer to my gut which requires me to look further down when I need to do a map/directions check. If/when I get some decent straps/buckles I'll probably be able to mount it closer to the front and just use the aft suction cup.

Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets?-2017-08-19-13-33-06-web-jpg
    --
    Fez

Senior Member Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets? Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by FezUSA View Post
    I have the 2016 model and have not really seen a good tank bag that has straps in a horizontal direction that would work well.
    I ran into the same dilemma until I thought of the way to overcome the lack of attatched straps to match the slots of the 2016 plus lid as I explained in:

What Tank Bag for the 2016?

post #20.

That way any style tank bag that you desire may be mounted using the lid slots.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Senior Member Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofear2trek View Post
    Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I wonder if anyone has tried fitting a newer 2016 plus frunk lid to any 2012-2015 frunks?
    Not at all. As a matter of fact, that was my next question...
    Last edited by Afan; 2nd October 2017 at 06:29.

Senior Member Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Afan, I tried adding metal under the frunk cover and it did not work. Even very strong rare earth magnets taken from another donor tank bag were not close enough to the metal on the underside of the frunk. It surprised me that just the thickness of the frunk cover was enough to reduce the magnetic force to unreliable for attaching a tank bag. Metal would have to be attached to the outside of the frunk cover and I lack the metal working skills to make this aesthetically acceptable for me and the only reason I wanted a tank bag was for a map pocket so I went about making a velcro attached base for one of those. Map Pocket v2.0
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Banned
    Bike: NC700X
    That tape is good for sticking paper things on a refrigerator. Magnetic force, like a number of other things drops off at the square of the distance. Magnets work fine when they are separated from a steel tank by a few hundredths of a millimeter, but a separation of a few millimeters of plastic really kills attraction.

I finally gave up on trying to follow written directions on the frunk a used a Zumo 395 & Base Camp on my last trip to and from Ohio where I had different routes in each direction. Even without not hearing the directions and just looking down every so often it worked well. Made navigating Tail of the Dragon from West to East and then South through NC and the twisties of Northern Georgia easy-peasy.

i didn't read the whole thing. + 1 for Neodymium magnets. i think N52 is the strongest. you probably can glue them to the back of the lid with epoxy or something similar. make sure you do this with a right polarity,but i would test it first with somethng like masking tape, to see, if the bag will hold.
    have no idea,how bag itself was structured,but my personal thought that the biggest problem would be the curves of the surface on the frunk. Neodymium magnets can hold really realy strong\big weights without any problem,but they HAVE to be abcolutely flat to each other. not sure,if you can accomplish that.
    let us know,if it worked. Thanks!

PS-while ago i made a window frame (inside), that holds shutters. the whole thing is flexible and holds on these magnets. i'll post picture later. worked very well for me

you can also try to use 3M 9448A tissue pads. it's a double sided pad. when used properly-it can hold pretty much anything. you can put magnet on one side and stick other side to the top of the frunk. problem is-those Neodymium magnets rusts really quick. you will need some sort of protective cover/layer on top. plastidip? or something similar

3M 9448A Adhesive Pad Double Sided Black Foam Tape Round / Rectangle * 5 PCS | eBay

Neodymium magnets a work ! those metal disks on sides holding this frame inside the window

Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets?-1-021-jpg
    Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets?-1-022-jpg
    Last edited by VE258; 4th October 2017 at 11:47.

Bike: NC750X
    I had a similar application years ago on a Honda ST1100. Instead of gluing magnets on the underside of the tank cover, I glued fender washers... flat with a lot of surface area. It worked perfectly for a small bag... and no polarity issues.