Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

Bike: Honda NC700X DCT

Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

If you had to choose one, which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

I don't have an NC700X yet, but I've been thinking of luggage/case options. When I commute on my 1999 Honda XR250L, I wear a daypack to carry all my stuff (lunch, work stuff, etc). If/when I get an NC, I'd love to get rid of the pack. The front storage on the NC isn't big enough for what I carry, but I don't need both a top box and side cases (nor am I eager to spend the extra money for both).

So, I'm curious what all the great folks on this forum think about this issue.

Let me know what you'd recommend.

Thanks!
    Make this part of your life the best part of your life, no matter what your age!

Current: 2012 Honda NC700X DCT, 1991 Honda XR250L -- Previous: 1975 Honda MR175, 1969 Honda SL90

Super Moderator Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I think both for looks and handling concerns, a flat rack and the two side cases is the way to go. To me, a top box only looks top heavy and scooter-ish (not that there's anything wrong with scooters). The side cases are easily removed if you want to go naked. I haven't factored cost into that recommendation, but it's what I would pursue. I guess it also depends what you want to carry and what luggage would best accommodate it.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC700X and 2002 GL1800
    Side cases keep the weight down and look nice. IMHO

#1 Elite Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?
    Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?
    Bike: NC-less
    Definitely side cases. The top case will move the center of gravity both higher and rearward and both are adverse to handling and stability.
    Motorcycle don't lie!

Senior Member Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases? frozenpoet's Avatar
    Bike: cbr600, NC700X
    side cases for already stated reasons.
    I get 63 MPG, what do you get? Speeding tickets?
    I pack to camp but stay in a hotel because I have no idea what I'm doing...

instagram.com/J_in_the_va

on two wheels

Senior Member Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I went with a top box for slim looks and ease of loading in a lockable weatherproof compartment. After having bikes with just saddlebags there are times I have to carry something moderately heavy if if it can't be split up then all that weight is in one saddlebag or the other and that affects handling. As long as the weight loaded in the top case is kept within Honda limits it does not affect safety. No shot puts or bowling balls however.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Saddlebags. For the lower CoG, and also the weight being a bit further forward. A trunk (top case) has appeal aerodynamically, but thus far it's tough to tell much difference, at least with the Honda saddlebags on my bike.

Senior Member Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases? draco_1967's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X

Re: Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

For all the above reasons, I agree that side cases are better. I think.beemerphile (Lee) has an ace setup on his bike.

...but
    I have a top box. I did it 1) because I already had the box, so I saved myself $600 on a nice set of Givi v35s and mounts; and 2) because without the added width of side cases, I can squeeze through traffic a bit easier when the need arises.

I rarely have much in the box, unless I grab groceries on the way home. Right now, I do much more commuting than long trips with lots of gear.

One day I will have a setup like Lee's so I can more comfortably do trips.

Bike: NC700X
    + 1 for side cases - a slim profile one.

danrev
    I have the Top Case because my bike already had the mounting bracket for it with I bought it. Haven't given it a try yet because it only came late last week and the Oregon rains hit the day I picked it up. The side cases will keep the CofG lower, no question. And aesthetically they look cleaner. On the other hand they cost twice as much as the Top Case and have about 1/3 less capacity. So it's really a question of which of these factors carry the higher priority in the decision.