Thread: 12v Accessory Plug, OEM or are there other options?

Bike: 12 nc700x

12v Accessory Plug, OEM or are there other options?

Hello Everyone! First post outside of the welcome forum.....I am picking up new to 12 NC700x tomorrow morning. I know one of the things that I will want on the bike is a 12v outlet to keep my phone charged while i am using the GPS on it. I check into the OEM honda plug, and its hard to swallow close to $80 for the OEM plug, and then you still have to buy the harness and possible relay. I have put the 12v/USB plugs on many of my other bikes like the TW's, DR's and DRZ's with very little effort and a lot less $$. Is there a reason why we need/want to use the honda part, or is there simply no other place that is easy to tap power from safely?

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    No. I bought a waterproof, bar mounted (with clamp) for $14 (on sale) from cycle gear. I hard wired it directly to the battery for 2 reasons. 1) I will never leave my phone or gps plugged in when I am leaving the bike. 2) there are times when I've stopped and am talking to someone where I want the bike off, but still want to charge my phone.

Bike Master 12V Power Adapter with Handlebar Mount - Cycle Gear
    Last edited by SleepyC; 19th May 2017 at 17:45.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Don't buy the OEM, very limited on power and there are so many good options for $20 or less. SleepyC has the right set up if your using your phone for a GPS

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    I'd forgo the cig lighter socket and go for SAE. Positive connection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Powerlet has one that can be mounted inside frunk. Also found a cheap and good switched handle bar mount too (wupp). I modified the WUPP brand. Rasped off the bottom mounts. Relocated the usb cover screw from bottom to top so I could stick it on top of the clutch reservoir with this super velcro. WUPP found on eBay for 5 dollars. Powerlet was 24 dollars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2015 NC700X
    This is what I did, bought one off Amazon and mounted it in the Frunk just like the OEM, works great.

Senior Member 12v Accessory Plug, OEM or are there other options? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    No. I bought a waterproof, bar mounted (with clamp) for $14 (on sale) from cycle gear. I hard wired it directly to the battery for 2 reasons. 1) I will never leave my phone or gps plugged in when I am leaving the bike. 2) there are times when I've stopped and am talking to someone where I want the bike off, but still want to charge my phone.

Bike Master 12V Power Adapter with Handlebar Mount - Cycle Gear
    I have this on my handlebars if I want to use a 12v plug. I have a connector for a battery charger inside the trunk and I spliced a battery charger pig tail connectors to the 12 v adapter so I just connect them when I want to use the 12 V adaptor. I use it mainly for my 12 v air compressor when needed. My other devices I use a USB adapter which connects to the same battery charger connector inside the trunk (I got the USB adapter also from Cycle Gear).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]