Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles

Bike: NC700X / Sporters 883

Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles

Hello, am new here, and getting ready for a camping trip into the smokies...
    Last edited by IronBunny; 6th June 2017 at 11:44.

Super Moderator Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Your avatar photo shows what appears to be OEM side bags. Is that the case (no pun intended)? That might matter when it comes to suggesting top case mounting methods.

The cargo carrier you see in place of the rear seat is most likely the one made by HONDABIKEPRO. Is is very well made but would not fit your requirement of being inexpensive.

Just Google "showkey mod" for a suggestion on how to remove the forward slope of the stock seat at minimal cost.

Is your old trunk a popular brand that might have specific mounts available?
    Last edited by 670cc; 13th May 2017 at 06:44.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Your avatar photo shows what appears to be OEM side bags. Is that the case (no pun intended)? That might matter when it comes to suggesting top case mounting methods.

The cargo carrier you see in place of the rear seat is most likely the one made by HONDABIKEPRO. Is is very well made but would not fit your requirement of being inexpensive.

Just Google "showkey mod" for a suggestion on how to remove the forward slope of the stock seat at minimal cost.

Is your old trunk a popular brand that might have specific mounts available?
    Yes, OEM side bags that came wirh the bike so I guess my only option would be the oem rear trunk bracket sold on ebay for about $140?

It is a generic made in china that came with my last bike, it has 4 generic holes at the bottom for screws, am thinking I will use a piece of wood to help install it, I just need to decide on a bracket and I think you just answered my question

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IronBunny View Post
    Yes, OEM side bags that came wirh the bike so I guess my only option would be the oem rear trunk bracket sold on ebay for about $140?

It is a generic made in china that came with my last bike, it has 4 generic holes at the bottom for screws, am thinking I will use a piece of wood to help install it, I just need to decide on a bracket and I think you just answered my question

If your bike already has the rear carrier side rails, you would need to buy the rear carrier plate (shown below on the left) for $120.

Post a picture of the rear of your bike.

Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles-img_0125-jpg
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

If your bike already has the rear carrier side rails, you would need to buy the rear carrier plate (shown below on the left) for $120.

Post a picture of the rear of your bike.

Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles-img_0125-jpg
    Yep, that's exactly the situation, I was just hoping for a cheaper alternative, but will be ordering the plate this week, and next I have $150 for a windshield solution, but which one?

Quote Originally Posted by IronBunny View Post
    Yep, that's exactly the situation, I was just hoping for a cheaper alternative, but will be ordering the plate this week, and next I have $150 for a windshield solution, but which one?

Yep. Just be aware your bike has to already have the modified grab rails, as shown onthe right in the post above. They are a mod needed to mount the side bag brackets, so they should already be there.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Senior Member Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Yep. Just be aware your bike has to already have the modified grab rails, as shown onthe right in the post above. They are a mod needed to mount the side bag brackets, so they should already be there.
    IB, it would be nice if a photo could show us exactly what your grab rails look like. Hard to tell from your avatar.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Just went outside to take these photos, and it felt like such an Ohio/Illinois fall day, quiet, wet, windy and not a soul in sight, but am in the middle of spring here in Florida, amazing

I onced lived up that way about 5 years ego and although I don't like the snow and cold, I do miss the mid west and wish I could go back there...

My personal believe is that when ever a place gets over crowded it looses its primitive feel and ambiance, some times I can still feel and smell the ambiance of when I grew up, certain days, just walking outside for a brief moment can transport me miles aways years away to a time and a place when everything was so much better.

That is why I love the weekeds and certain holidays like Thanksgiving, everyone disappears and I get to indulge in desolation, a short break from the constant and hustling and busting that the average day has turn into where everyone is out in a rush to get somewhere.

Anyways here are the photos of my current setup, I believe I am only missing the plate.

Isn't she beautiful parked by the garden right by my kitchen door, at times I just look out to indulge

Much better setup then what I had when I was living in an apartment and had to rent a far away storage unit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofear2trek View Post
    IB, it would be nice if a photo could show us exactly what your grab rails look like. Hard to tell from your avatar.

Ray

Yes indeed, $120 gets you a plate to mount between those rails. Than you can directly mount a Honda top box or drill it up and mount something else yourself.

It's odd what weather you're having in Florida. We're having sunny Florida weather in Illinois today. I must be the weird one, but I HATE summer sunshine. Cloudy and 65*F is my favorite. Well, isn't that what we prefer indoors? I don't sit under heat lamps in the house, so why would I want to be in the sun outdoors? I should move to the PNW.
    Last edited by 670cc; 13th May 2017 at 10:43.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Senior Member Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    I should move to the PNW.
    Can't remember the last time I've been dry and seen sunshine, and today it's snowing in the mountains.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.