Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switchback LED front turn signals

Super Moderator Switchback LED front turn signals 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L

Switchback LED front turn signals

I installed my switchback signals today. I'm quite pleased with the result. The video looks washed out when the signals are on but the amber is just as bright and the same color as the stock signals were. The white running lights match my aux lights well, and they're plenty bright - I wouldn't want them any brighter.

The only negative aspect is that with the 4-pin LED flasher I used, the 4-way hazard lights will not run without the key switch on as they would stock. Not too big of a deal, I guess.

Attached Images Attached Images Switchback LED front turn signals-100_0928-jpg Switchback LED front turn signals-100_0930-jpg Switchback LED front turn signals-100_0924-jpg Switchback LED front turn signals-100_0918-jpg 
    Last edited by 670cc; 31st December 2016 at 20:26.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Fixed Idea Switchback LED front turn signals
    Switchback LED front turn signals
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Awesome looking!
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Senior Member Switchback LED front turn signalsSwitchback LED front turn signals kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    Great mod! A cool farkle within reach of my nearly empty wallet. Could we have a link to where you got them and the clear lenses?

The flasher came from an Amazon seller. It is plug and play but you'd need to bend the mounting bracket around 180 degrees to mount it in the OEM holder. Not a big deal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have since ordered a second LED flasher style to try that has the same form factor as OEM. I will report on it when it arrives. I'm hoping this relay might retain the key-off hazard flasher function that I lost with the one I have now. L.B.S. had linked to it in the past. Search eBay for: =4MotorcycleRacing = Honda LED Flasher Relay

The 1157 LEDs came from eBay. The challenge was to find bright ones that emitted most of the light to the sides. Many are made to focus the light out the end, which would be desirable in an automotive application, but not so good on the NC since the lamps mount sideways. I can't get a link to work, so search eBay for "1157 Dual Color 2835-48 SMD Switchback" There is a US seller.

The lenses are Honda part numbers 33652-MFL-307, and 33602-MFL-307, a left and a right. The left/right difference is the orientation of the numbers cast into the lense. You do need to trim a little piece off the index ring at the mounting stud, but it is easy and results in a pefect fit.

There are no wiring changes to make. The bike already works by shutting down the white running light when the amber signal comes on, then re-engaging the white running light when the amber signal goes off.

When the bike is off, the LED lamps show just a little through the clear lenses. They either look a little bit goofy or they look high tech, depending on your point of view.
    Last edited by 670cc; 1st January 2017 at 09:41.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Senior Member Switchback LED front turn signals BerndM's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X-D
    The HUGE downside FOR ME with the key having to be on in order for the Hazard flashers to work
    is the simple fact that your headlight is also on which will kill your battery in no time.
    Until that issue is resolved, I wouldn't bother changing to the LED setup at this time.
    Regards
    Bernd

2013 Honda NC700X-D (Red of course) # 100345

Quote Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
    The HUGE downside FOR ME with the key having to be on in order for the Hazard flashers to work
    is the simple fact that your headlight is also on which will kill your battery in no time.
    Until that issue is resolved, I wouldn't bother changing to the LED setup at this time.
    That is certainly a valid concern. The flashers work fine with the key on but not with it off. However in all my past 40+ years of riding I can't think of a time I may have used the hazard flashers and wanted the bike shut off. I guess if I was really in a pinch I would reach down and unplug the headlight bulb. Earlier bike models didn't even have 4-way hazard flashers. But again, if it's a concern I suggest avoiding this mod as it is today. As I mentioned, I ordered a second flasher style and will report on it's attributes when I try it out.
    Last edited by 670cc; 1st January 2017 at 11:00.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Senior Member Switchback LED front turn signals BerndM's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X-D
    I hope the new flasher will do the trick. If it does, then I would be very interested in trying these LEDs out
    Regards
    Bernd

2013 Honda NC700X-D (Red of course) # 100345

Bike: 2012 NC700XA
    Great stuff. I would really like to try something similar next riding season.

Interesting that you lost the key off hazard option, I will be keeping an eye on this thread for your update when you get the new flasher unit.

EDIT: hey look what I found: check out posts 12 and 16, looks like you can just modify the stock flasher rather than buying a new one.

This is why I love forums, I would have never found that out on my own if I were doing this mod.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 2nd January 2017 at 00:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post

EDIT: hey look what I found: check out posts 12 and 16, looks like you can just modify the stock flasher rather than buying a new one.
    Well I have a spare OEM flasher now so I will try that mod. Thanks for digging that up!
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post

I modified the stock flasher per the thread mentioned above, lifting pin 7. I confirmed that the stock flasher does indeed now flash at the correct rate with LEDs. However the modified stock flasher does not support key off hazard flashers.

Even before modification, the stock flasher did not support key-off hazards on Beemerphile's NC700X, which is loaded with LEDs and many other mods. So frankly, I don't know what to think. Perhaps neither of my bikes is a proper test subject for the key-off hazard flasher test. I can't say I've ever actually used the feature. I just know what the manual says. Perhaps the load is the issue, i.e. one would need to install load resistors when installing the LEDs, something I have no desire to do.

I will still test out the yet to arrive LED flasher and report, but for the most part the feature does not really concern me. It's good to know an LED compatible flasher can be had simply by modifying the stock flasher.

Switchback LED front turn signals-img_2262-jpg
    Switchback LED front turn signals-img_2263-jpg
    Last edited by 670cc; 2nd January 2017 at 21:37.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX