Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Tank Bag for the 2016?

Senior Member What Tank Bag for the 2016?
    What Tank Bag for the 2016?

Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT ABS

I did a search and found some threads and I believe the general consensus is that tank bags are either 1) not needed (frunk!) or 2) don't fit well (impede frunk opening / need metal tank.) I got several camping trips and rallies planned for late summer (anyone going to Central ADV Rally?) and I want a bag for travel stuff.

The 2016 has protrusions at the top front of the frunk lid (I call them fangs) and built in plastic rails for tank bags that I can't quite figure how they're going to work.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice of has seen any bags that would fit.

I'm thinking that nylon loops typically used to secure the front parts of tank bags could go around the 'fangs' instead the frame near the fork.

At the top of my list is one of the Wolfman Blackhawk or Explorer Lite:

Blackhawk Motorcycle Tank Bag by Wolfman Luggage - Made in USA | Wolfman Luggage

Explorer Lite Tank Bag by Wolfman Luggage - Made in USA | Wolfman Luggage

I'm leaning toward the blackhawk as the frunk lid carrying weight is limited.

Thoughts?

Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual Clutch
    I have a Wolfman for my VFR. It uses a strap and magnets to stay on. It's well made and I've used it since around 2000.
    Wolfman was actually about 1/4 mile away from where I worked at the time and they sold factory 2nds out of their facility (for those in the area).
    I can't speak to use on the NCX but I like their products.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I have (and am selling) a FirstGear tank bag that has D-rings on the side. Might be able to use those to lash it to the rails? I think that would work better than a regular strap bag that has straps attaching to the front and back.

FirstGear magnetic tank bag

It's shown below with the magnetic base, but that zips off.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT was 700X dct
    That does look good Zirconx. And I like the padded wrist rest too !
    I have a cheap I similar bag but the magnet flaps would have to be cut off. Tha sad thing about all the tank bags is no one makes a waterproof one. Surely it can't be that difficult
    Mike

Bike: NC750X
    See here 3rd post down for a DIY solution along the lines suggested by the OP. The Oxford tank bag has a detachable base with magnetic flaps, which were cut off.
    Last edited by GerJ; 16th July 2016 at 00:50.
    My wife rides an NC750XD; my own ride is a BMW R1200GS DOHC Adventure.

Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    There are a number of suction-cup tank bags on the market that would work, especially if you are just looking for something to hold small essentials like glasses, phone, etc. First Gear makes several different models. Check Revzilla.

I have used the Rapid Transit Bag on my bike for a couple of years now with good results.

Hope this helps.

Senior Member What Tank Bag for the 2016? FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    If it's just for a phone, which is what I'm primarily looking for, then I think I'm going to try one of those running/exercise arm bands with an extender. They even have one for my Samsung S7 that rotates to landscape mode - probably ideal when using Waze/ Google Maps. The S7 has built-in water protection so it should be good in that regard.

For longer trips where the frunk is full and my tail bag is full I'd be interested to see what you find that can have a map/phone on the top/front and maybe hold a camera and a few other items.
    --
    Fez

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
    That does look good Zirconx. And I like the padded wrist rest too !
    I have a cheap I similar bag but the magnet flaps would have to be cut off. Tha sad thing about all the tank bags is no one makes a waterproof one. Surely it can't be that difficult
    Mike
    They do make waterproof tank bags, but they are few and far between. I have a Givi GRT705, which is waterproof without a cover. I think I might switch to a tank-lock bag though and put the GRT705 up for sale. This is for my Kawasaki Versys, FYI.

SW-Motech and Giant Loop also make waterproof bags. I looked into those but they are pretty small. Made for smaller dual sport bikes.

What Tank Bag for the 2016?-givi_grt705_bag-web1-jpg
    Last edited by zirconx; 26th July 2016 at 14:23.

Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by FezUSA View Post
    If it's just for a phone, which is what I'm primarily looking for, then I think I'm going to try one of those running/exercise arm bands with an extender. They even have one for my Samsung S7 that rotates to landscape mode - probably ideal when using Waze/ Google Maps. The S7 has built-in water protection so it should be good in that regard.

For longer trips where the frunk is full and my tail bag is full I'd be interested to see what you find that can have a map/phone on the top/front and maybe hold a camera and a few other items.
    The Rapid Transit suction cup one does that. It has a clear-topped map pouch on the top and a phone/GPS holder in the front with cord slot. Here's a link for a pic. Rapid Transit Recon Sport Tank Bag - RevZilla

Bike: 2014 NC700X