Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: To blow my own horn

Bike: NC700XC

To blow my own horn

I've been thinking about the wimpy horn on my NC. The horn on my GL1800 on the other hand sounds off proudly. Has anybody but me thought about putting a GL horn on an NC? How do I find out if the wiring will support the GL horn?

I was just thinkin.

Senior Member To blow my own horn dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Not a GL1800 horn but some ideas here:

https://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-m...n-upgrade.html
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

#1 Elite To blow my own horn
    To blow my own horn
    Bike: NC-less
    From what I can tell, the stock GL1800 horns are 4 amps each. They are wired directly to the horn button without a relay. Unless you can find a set of take-offs for sale cheap where someone has upgraded, they look to cost about $47 each. That is about three times more than the Fiamms which are also about 4 amps each.

What no-one knows is the amp rating of the NC700x horn switch. The safe approach that always works is to use a horn relay because you are increasing the load from 1.3 amps to 8 amps. Or, you could assume that the NC700 horn switch is as stout as the GL1800 switch and wire them direct. Not implying that anyone here is a punk, but I guess you have to ask yourself. "Do you feel lucky?"

Motorcycle don't lie!

Senior Member To blow my own horn duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS
    If I remember well, someone wired directly to the horn button and and melted it, or am I wrong? Can't locate the post, but I remember this well because after reading it I decided to postpone my onw FIAMM dual horn fitment until I have the time to do a good job with relay and so on
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    To blow my own horn

That just does not sound right!!

Herb Alpert Red Hot Video 1983 - YouTube

Senior Member To blow my own horn dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by duk2n View Post
    If I remember well, someone wired directly to the horn button and and melted it, or am I wrong? Can't locate the post, but I remember this well because after reading it I decided to postpone my onw FIAMM dual horn fitment until I have the time to do a good job with relay and so on
    That wasn't in this forum. I had one Fiamm in place with no relay for a while. It tested ok when I installed it but I don't think I ever used it after that. Not much a horn blower.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by calbigbird View Post
    I've been thinking about the wimpy horn on my NC. The horn on my GL1800 on the other hand sounds off proudly. Has anybody but me thought about putting a GL horn on an NC? How do I find out if the wiring will support the GL horn?

I was just thinkin.
    Definitions for 'Blow your own horn'

If you blow your own horn, you boast about your achievements and abilities. ('Blow your own trumpet' is an alternative form.

(verb) to display one’s achievements or good characteristics to make others feel bad

Example Sentence:

A: How is your new teacher?
    B: He spent the first hour of class blowing his own horn by talking about his degrees, his books, his sports car and his beautiful wife. I dislike him a lot!

The young woman blew her own horn by showing her expensive new iPhone to her jealous friends.

A: Did you get a good score on the TOEFL test?
    B: I don’t want to blow my own horn, but I did fantastically!
    A: Congrats!

Bike: Boulevard M109R
    I put one of these on my M109R, you should SEE the reaction i get from people, they don't even think it is me on my bike but rather looking about quickly for some big truck lol. This sucker is loud, do NOT try it in your garage!

Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone Motorcycle Air Horn, 12-Volt, 139 dB, Black or Chrome - TwistedThrottle.com