Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Concepts *LOW* seat

Bike: NC700X

Seat Concepts *LOW* seat

I've seen numerous references to the low version of the Seat Concepts seat, but no first-hand experience or review. I'm actually relatively happy with the stock seat (have ridden for 2 hours straight without any sitting fatigue), but lowering the seat just a tad would save me from having to lower the whole bike.

So... how is their low version? Is it more comfortable than stock? About the same? Worth it?

Seat Concepts - Products

Senior Member Seat Concepts *LOW* seat
    Seat Concepts *LOW* seat
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    Can't speak to the 'Low' seat, but I've been generally very happy with the 'standard' Seat Concepts seat I put on this year. The change in the riding angle and the added width of the cushion have made a huge difference for me during longer rides.

That's the problem... people seem to like the 'standard' Seat Concepts seat, but I wonder what the impact of 3/4" less foam would be. Just speculating, do you think there'd be a noticeable difference between the two models?

Why do you say 'generally' very happy, though?

Thinking I'll give it a shot and place a custom order Monday... somebody needs to review the low variant
    Last edited by quirken; 1st November 2015 at 12:01.

dynamo
    Should be closer to the OEM seat. The standard kit is significantly higher than the stock seat, so vertically challenged people don't like it. The shorter version should be fine for average people. Worth a try.

Seat Concepts *LOW* seat
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by quirken View Post
    That's the problem... people seem to like the 'standard' Seat Concepts seat, but I wonder what the impact of 3/4" less foam would be. Just speculating, do you think there'd be a noticeable difference between the two models?

Why do you say 'generally' very happy, though?

Thinking I'll give it a shot and place a custom order Monday... somebody needs to review the low variant
    I said generally because of a couple of small reasons. 1) The 'grain' of the provided vinyl covering does not travel in the same direction as the 'grain' on the stock passenger seat, and 2) Unless you are very careful with the placement of the provided foam while gluing it on the pan, it is very easy to wind up with the 'pointy' ends of the pan wearing a hole in the vinyl. You just need to be careful if you do your own install.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    Should be closer to the OEM seat. The standard kit is significantly higher than the stock seat, so vertically challenged people don't like it. The shorter version should be fine for average people. Worth a try.
    Similar height to stock, then? Hm. Might not be worth the trouble for me, then, as I haven't found a reason to complain about stock (yet anyhow).

Thanks bduffey! Those are really good tips to know.

If you have a short inseam, it is a lot cheaper to have your boot soles built up 1/2 inch than to buy a low seat. Take boots into any cobbler, and the boots are ready the next day.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

I have a 32" inseam; I can flat foot at intersections IF I scoot forward. I'm typically comfortable enough balancing on my toes to not need that.

backing up is another story. I dropped my bike because I can barely even push from the very tip of my toes and just couldn't get traction. In some cases, I could get off my bike and walk it, but that's not always feasible.

maybe if a cobbler reworked the soles to be a little thickeo and with better traction, I'd be good... My boots have decent traction but on a wet surface, it feels like sliding on ice. Maybe with better grip and slightly thicker soles, I'd be good...

I'll look into a cobbler. thanks for the tip!

Here is a picture of my boot, showing how a shoe cobbler can add 1/2 inch in solid rubber and a 1/2 inch sole to your boot. This does help folks like me with a short inseam. Cost to add the extra 1/2 inch of solid rubber, 1/2 inch sole, and new heel is about $100.

Seat Concepts *LOW* seat-boot-001-jpg
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 1st November 2015 at 20:10.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    anyone try the low seat option from seat concept yet?

anyone can give a review of this?