Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Its all about the links - its lowered!

Bike: NC700S, VT500

Its all about the links - its lowered!

Decided to lower my NC, got tired of shifting my body when stopping and ballerina toe-ing when backing up parking. It was so worth it! The bike is shorter person friendly now & its comfortable. I'm pretty happy.

Bike: NC700X
    What links did you get,and did you lower the front well? Have you noticed any negative effects on handling?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Bike: 2015 Honda NC700XD
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
    What links did you get,and did you lower the front well? Have you noticed any negative effects on handling?
    I lowered mine last year (Lust Racing 40mm lowering links) and dropped the triple tree down 1/2" on the front. I haven't noticed any negative effects on mine yet. The only thing that I can think of is the foot pegs scraping in a corner when the suspension compresses and my girlfriend is on the back. I usually ride with the full Honda luggage set too.

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    I lowered mine awhile back too. I used Soupy's adjustable links and lowered the front as well. It's about 3/4" lower than stock. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to ride better. It's probably just that I feel more comfortable being able to flat foot it now, and the fact that the center of gravity is even lower than before.

Bike: NC 700X
    Do you have center stand, and if so, does it scrape or hit before your pegs? I'm thinking of lowering mine with the Lust 40mm links but want to be sure the center stand or other hard parts aren't touching down before my pegs. Thanks.

Bike: 2015 Honda NC700XD
    Quote Originally Posted by MNsota700x View Post
    Do you have center stand, and if so, does it scrape or hit before your pegs? I'm thinking of lowering mine with the Lust 40mm links but want to be sure the center stand or other hard parts aren't touching down before my pegs. Thanks.
    I just put on a center stand (which I want to swap for a 700S stand now if anyone is interested) so I will report back once I get some time in the saddle. And my girlfriend is visiting this weekend so I will try to get her to hop on too to test for weight.

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Just eyeballing it, it looks like the pegs would hit first.

Edit: I have been curious about this myself so I propped the bike upright and put a piece of plywood up against the tires and tilted it up to see what would hit first. Definitely the pegs followed by the side stand lever, then the center stand. In the following photos the peg is about 1/16th of an inch off the plywood, the side stand lever is about 3/4" and the lowest point of the center stand is about 2-1/4". Nice to know the peg will give you the first warning.

Its all about the links - its lowered!-20160430_173751-jpg

Its all about the links - its lowered!-20160430_174602-jpg
    Last edited by Gibsito; 30th April 2016 at 20:24.

Its funny that you say it improved the ride, it certainly did on mine and I actually find it much more comfortable. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in handling, but that may be just due to the fact that I am feeling more confident on it and struggling to get a solid footing every time I stop or park. My husband said he thought it handles better as well. I am so glad I did this. I ran it through some tight intricate cone layouts the other day and boy was it fun!

I ordered Lust racing links and it was a good farkle purchase.

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I've thought about lowering, but I didn't want to deal with the centerstand and side stand.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Side stand was easy, I had it cut and the guy even painted it, cost me $60, I don't have a centerstand, it would be a bit of a monster for me to haul it up onto it. But have to say lowering it made a difference.