Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Garmin GPS in the $200 range?

Member Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range? Fredtoo's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT !!!!!!

Recommended Garmin GPS in the $200 range?

What's a good Garmin GPS in the $200 range for my NC? Google, Garmin and Amazon web site searches are just too confusing for me to digest so I'm asking the folks that actually use them. A larger screen, north American coverage, and lifetime maps would be desireable. If bluetooth directions are possible that could be a plus in the future. Any recommendations would be most welcome....

Thanks

Member Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range?
    Bike: NC700X
    I'll be following this thread as I have the same question.

I had considered just using my iPhone and Google maps, but there are plenty of places where I won't have cell coverage and I would imagine I'd use a significant amount of data as the software continuously downloads additional map data.

I've looked at the motorcycle-specific GPSs and am disappointed at the price premium they command. I'm pretty much a fair weather rider so waterproof isn't really required. I'd plan to toss the GPS in the frunk if the bike was going to set outside unprotected for any length of time or in inclement weather.

Senior Member Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range? Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750X Kawasaki KLX351
    Use your iphone or andriod device and buy the app. The app allows you to download US and Canada maps so it can be used without cell service and you won't have any data charges. Im using my Galaxy S5 which allows me to navagate, listen to music and talk phone calls using bluetooth and conecting to my Sena SMH10. I think the Tomtom app was $35.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

I do use my iPhone in the cage with Waze as my nav app of choice, but on the bike I would prefer to keep my iPhone in a safe place for use as a nav backup if needed.

Senior Member Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range?
    Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range?
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    I've transferred my Garmin Nuvi from my car onto the bike and had good luck with it. I installed a ball mount on the bars and have had no issues with it. I was a little concerned initially about vibration effecting the unit, but after a full year of usage, I have had no issues.

Senior Member Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I know they are expensive but until someone makes a supporting mapping program that allows building, storing, editing and sharing routes I can't see using a phone to replace my Garmin. The way I use a GPS there is no other easy way. I like to make routes for rides or trips and I have files of routes and of saved waypoints by state and geographical region that I can refer to when I need to. Others may use a GPS differently and a phone works well but it's not for me right now.

Garmin changes it's model line often so I don't know the latest ones. I have a used Garmin 765 in the car ( I got it used from a friend ) that can store routes and waypoints which is necessary for me. I carry it on long trips as a back up to a Zumo 550. I could use the 765 alone if I did not have the 550. I'd look for one that allows storing routes and 500 or more waypoints.
    Last edited by dduelin; 12th October 2015 at 05:51.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range? Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750X Kawasaki KLX351
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredtoo View Post
    I do use my iPhone in the cage with Waze as my nav app of choice, but on the bike I would prefer to keep my iPhone in a safe place for use as a nav backup if needed.
    What's not safe on the bike? For the IPhone Lifeproof makes a holder that locks the phone in and works with their Lifeproof case. I've used my phone for thousands of miles and not one issue.

If you do need information that you would like to download to a computer to show your trip the phones apps don't have that capability. Like Dave said it all depends on how much information you require. With my old Garmin I could download the days travel and map it on my pc and it would show waypoints I had saved and elevation, time and speed anywhere along the route. The phone app just won't do that.
    Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 12th October 2015 at 05:57.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

#1 Elite Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range?
    Recommended Garmin GPS in the 0 range?
    Bike: NC-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
    ...Lifeproof makes a holder that locks the phone in and works with their Lifeproof case. I've used my phone for thousands of miles and not one issue.
    Everything is Lifeproof. Do they make one that is Deathproof?

As far as a waterproof Garmin, I haven't seen one for $200 other than obsolete used models on fleabay.

A baggie takes care of the waterproof problem.........

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I know they are expensive but until someone makes a supporting mapping program that allows building, storing, editing and sharing routes I can't see using a phone to replace my Garmin. The way I use a GPS there is no other easy way. I like to make routes for rides or trips and I have files of routes and of saved waypoints by state and geographical region that I can refer to when I need to. Others may use a GPS differently and a phone works well but it's not for me right now.

Garmin changes it's model line often so I don't know the latest ones. I have a used Garmin 765 in the car ( I got it used from a friend ) that can store routes and waypoints which is necessary for me. I carry it on long trips as a back up to a Zumo 550. I could use the 765 alone if I did not have the 550. I'd look for one that allows storing routes and 500 or more waypoints.
    I tend to agree with much of this statement and I use my 550 similarly.

The biggest enemies of any units are vibration and water. Many units will suffer vibration for a while but eventually it will get to hem if they are not isolated. I very much doubt if you will get a GPS of any make for $200 or less, that will survive on a motorcycle for long. GPS software on smartphones works, but again the unit would need to be protected.

I operate a Zumo 550 and it is one of the early models from 2007/8. It still lives, courtesy of a Touratech mount which isolates it from vibes. It is a very good unit but is now outdated and I will shortly accompany it with one of its more modern counterparts which notifies speed limits and lane assist with easier to understand directions.

I think GPS technology is truly amazing and well worth spending the money on a decent unit that can be used in a car or bike, especially if one is used to doing big mileage away from one's home range. .