Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank capacity?

#1 Elite Fuel tank capacity?
    Fuel tank capacity?
    Bike: NC-less
    I find it runs best around 4K as well. On my next sprocket change I am going to gear it down to 16/45. As far as gas, you cannot have too much unless you are on fire. I chose not to add the weight and complexity of an auxiliary tank like I had on my BMW, but I keep an extra 1.5 gallons on back in a 1.75 gallon RotoPak. I haven't used it but a couple of times. If nothing else, it gets rid of the nervousness that comes from running low in unfamiliar places. Peace of mind is priceless. My norm is 200 miles and stop by the odometer. But sometimes I come up short.
    Fuel tank capacity?-img_20141001_105403-jpg

Senior Member Fuel tank capacity? itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Beemer - what is that thing almost touching the fenda extenda?

Also, that seat looks like it would fit my skinny butt just fine!

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    What is that seat (Link?) and the thing almost "touching" is a light, but on a light bar away from the fender, so it isnt touching, it is just a trick of the camera angle.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

Bike: VFR 800 Tiger 800 Versys 650
    I did a 3.5 gallon fill-up just a month or so ago. 243 miles and I went into "eco" mode (like there's a sport mode, right?) when the light started flashing with just over a gallon remaining.

Beemer, you mentioned chain/sprockets, my 525 JT set-up passed 3,700 miles this weekend and is still exactly where it was tension-wise as when I installed it. I have never had a new chain not require an initial adjustment. The under-stressed-on-the-NC 525 drive system cost only $135 from JT(on Amazon) and the specs on their top of the line chain are identical to, or better than, the high end DID/RK/EK chains. I am impressed.

dynamo
    Quote Originally Posted by mburgess View Post
    I have a 2013 manual NC700X. The only add on'z are center stand and Puig rear hugger. But, I usually ride redline on startup to whatever speed limit. I ALWAYS run +4,000 RPM, when cruising. I know that many people ride this bike with mpg goals, but i find that the bike runs best around 4 ,000 rpm + which is sad, beacuse the bike redlines at 6 (what 2 of play)?
    I find the bike runs best at 3k, and even lugging it isn't a problem. 4k on the highway is smooth as butter though. Well before redline I have already shifted and have yet to hit the limiter. Going by feel, I seem to shift under 5k without thinking about it.

#1 Elite Fuel tank capacity?
    Fuel tank capacity?
    Bike: NC-less
    Quote Originally Posted by kebrider View Post
    Beemer, you mentioned chain/sprockets, my 525 JT set-up passed 3,700 miles this weekend and is still exactly where it was tension-wise as when I installed it. I have never had a new chain not require an initial adjustment. The under-stressed-on-the-NC 525 drive system cost only $135 from JT(on Amazon) and the specs on their top of the line chain are identical to, or better than, the high end DID/RK/EK chains. I am impressed.
    Too late. I already have the 520 DID VX2 and sprockets from Sprocket Center. The owner talked me out of my plan to go 525 with it. It still may have been the best idea, but I took the advice of the expert. I'm sure the NC doesn't have enough power to pull the 520 off of it. The stock NC chain was a joke. My current 520 DID ERC chain is doing fine after nearly 20,000 miles and ERC's don't last as long as VX2's do. Don't know when I last adjusted it, but I did adjust it a couple of times when new.

Yes, itlives, the thing almost touching is indeed a far-away light as Deckyon surmised. The seat is a Russell Day-Long heated leather seat. I have had heated leather Russell Day-longs on every bike I have owned in the last 20 years (including my TMax scooter) with the exception being my R75/6.

Bike: VFR 800 Tiger 800 Versys 650
    [QUOTE=Beemerphile;141111]The owner talked me out of my plan to go 525 with it. It still may have been the best idea, but I took the advice of the expert. I'm sure the NC doesn't have enough power to pull the 520 off of it.

Expert you say? I may know at least one who regularly gets ~50K out of chain sets who would tell you to always up-size a 520 chain if practical. 520 chain sets are plenty strong enough, they just don't last as long as larger pitch chain sets. Weight and torque take their toll on driven chains and sprockets. In reality chain/sprocket sets are one of the least expensive cost/mile wear items so it is a minor thing. Sticking with OEM is usually a safe bet and is usually a solid value proposition.

I will keep posting updates on how well the JT set-up works if for no other reason than the experts can learn from my experience.

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Once your bar starts flashing, your fuel meter should start counting for you and for mine it means I have .7 gallons left. I've used 3 at that point. I usually get about 215-220 miles commuting. I have hard bags as well and the commute is mixed with city and some quick freeway blasts. Had mine so low today that it was starting to cut out when healed over....not good. I would say that you are safe for at least 50 miles once the bar starts flashing unless you are riding it pinned the entire time......

Super Moderator Fuel tank capacity? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by motard-menace View Post
    Once your bar starts flashing, your fuel meter should start counting for you and for mine it means I have .7 gallons left. I've used 3 at that point. I usually get about 215-220 miles commuting. I have hard bags as well and the commute is mixed with city and some quick freeway blasts. Had mine so low today that it was starting to cut out when healed over....not good. I would say that you are safe for at least 50 miles once the bar starts flashing unless you are riding it pinned the entire time......
    The OP has a 2013. That model year does not have the same dash programming as your 2014. It does not do the count down or up thing when the gauge starts flashing.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Yes. Correct. I wish my display had a gear indicator as well.