Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranty opinion/s

Senior Member Extended warranty opinion/s
    Extended warranty opinion/s
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT

So.... I'm looking for some fact-based opinions here. My factory warrantly runs out in November, which will see me with one year of ownership.

Given the history of the 700X's with the DCT....... should I go ahead and purchase an extended warranty or rely on the good history of the model. And if I should buy an extended warranty..... for how long?

The bike is a 2013 with about 3500 miles on it.

Opinions?

Bike: NC700X
    That is one of those dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't questions. If nothing goes wrong, then you get upset for the waste of the money, but if you don't buy extended warranty and something goes wrong you curse yourself for not buying it.

Also, shop around between the various Honda dealerships. Honda sets the price of the extended warranty for the various models, and the dealership gets a set percentage amount for the dealership profit. Some dealerships will discount their profit amounts, so shop around!
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Extended warranty opinion/s Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750X Kawasaki KLX351
    Personally if something is known to be reliable I never buy an extended warranty. The extended warranty generates some good coin for the companies selling it.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Commuter Extraordinaire Extended warranty opinion/s
    Bike: NC700X
    A while back someone purchased two years for $430. You may be able to call him and still get the same deal. https://nc700-forum.com/forum/non-nc7...-warranty.html

I hate to give advice on this subject. I bought a four year extended warrenty. Am I saying you should? No. It's piece of mind. Will I be upset if the bike never breaks down in the next three years. Nope. Will I feel like I wasted my money. Nope. Chances are I will not need it but what's the saying? "Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have".

Super Moderator Extended warranty opinion/s 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Trying to stick with your request for a fact based answer, the fact is companies that sell extended warranties make money from them. The odds are you are better off financially if you avoid extended warranties. Sure, something you purchase someday will break, but most things wont. When you spread your risk out over many items and over time, you will save by not purchasing warranties.

Personally, I would get no peace of mind from extended warranties because it would haunt me that I had wasted good money. But that's just me.
    Last edited by 670cc; 12th September 2014 at 07:19.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    This is one of the most boring forums I have ever been on. This is not a criticism. This is in fact a compliment to the NC. Why is it boring ? Because nothing happens. Nothing goes wrong with these bikes and nobody has anything to report. I am also on the Triumph Explorer forum. That certainly is not boring. There are so many things going wrong with that motorcycle, that each time I check in I wonder what is next. Its as if there was no development whatsoever done on the bike before it was put on sale. I could go on and on but I take it you have my point by now ?
    The Nc is a Honda. Nothing of significance is going wrong with it as you can see. I almost had a eureka moment when my wheel bearings packed in ! Some folks have decent mileage on them.
    The only downside here is the extremely low mileage after almost 2 years. Personally I wouldn't bother with more warranty, but if you have to, then 2 years should be sufficient.

Bike: NC700X KLX250SF
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    This is one of the most boring forums I have ever been on. This is not a criticism. This is in fact a compliment to the NC. Why is it boring ? Because nothing happens. Nothing goes wrong with these bikes and nobody has anything to report. I am also on the Triumph Explorer forum. That certainly is not boring. There are so many things going wrong with that motorcycle, that each time I check in I wonder what is next. Its as if there was no development whatsoever done on the bike before it was put on sale. I could go on and on but I take it you have my point by now ?
    The Nc is a Honda. Nothing of significance is going wrong with it as you can see. I almost had a eureka moment when my wheel bearings packed in ! Some folks have decent mileage on them.
    The only downside here is the extremely low mileage after almost 2 years. Personally I wouldn't bother with more warranty, but if you have to, then 2 years should be sufficient.
    I've thought about trading in my NC for an F800GS Adventure one of these days, but I always hear mixed things about BMW as well. It really seems nothing does beat a Honda when it comes to reliability.
    Also, my two Honda cars are not exactly new, and have been two superb examples of their engineering.
    (SOLD) 2012 Honda NC700X - Altrider Skid Plate, Akropovic exhaust, Barkbusters hand guards, Givi Crash Bars, SW Motech Trax Top Box, Side Cases, and Alu Rack, Factory heated grips and center stand, TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear tires.
    2015 Yamaha XT250
    2016 F800GS
    --------------------------
    Things with 4 wheels:
    2002 Audi A4
    2002 Honda S2000
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Member Extended warranty opinion/s xrlke's Avatar
    Bike: Red 2013 NC700X
    It comes down to an essential thought on the concept. When you buy the extended warranty, your basically betting it will break- Honda is betting it wont. I know some people hate this, but "It's a Honda". They went to many great lengths to design and build this bike. They don't want common or known problems. It costs them money and loyalty to the brand. Most manufacturing defects would show up fairly quickly if you ride it. (end of fact-based opinion).

I opted not to purchase the extended warranty and have not had a problem yet. It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Make a decision and continue to ride- enjoy the riding time.

Bike: 2012 NC700; 2003 ST1300; 1993 CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by SnickterP View Post
    I've thought about trading in my NC for an F800GS Adventure one of these days
    BMW makes a nice looking bike with some interesting engineering. Too bad they have their issues. I've considered a couple of their bikes, but after lurking in the BMW forums, I'll not buy one.

My next interest is in the KTM line ... a Duke or Adventure

As far as extended warranty? I'd not get it. Of course I do all my own wrenching, so ...

Bike: nc700 dct
    ok, lets look at the problems that some people have had:
    battery
    fuel injector (I believe one or two persons experienced this)
    dash instrument cluster (2014 models-trip resets on its own)
    fuel pump (I believe one or two persons experienced this)
    anything else?
    I don't see a mass pile of problems....

ken
    Last edited by kjang; 12th September 2014 at 16:35.