Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Road Trip on the NC

danrev

First Road Trip on the NC

I just got back from my first ever long road trip. Spent 5 days riding the back roads of north central and eastern Oregon with two other riders. Rode a total of 1300 miles. As this was my first motorcycle trip I was figuring out what to take, what to leave behind, and what I should've taken. With the full complement of OEM storage together with the Frunk I had plenty of room for my gear. I did buy the VFR800 liners for the side cases, and they worked out well; just can't pack them full or they won't fit. The NC performed well. Average mpg of 78. No complaints with the Seat Concepts seat. My backside actually felt better than when I spend a whole day in my car. Only physical issue was my hands and wrists got achy by the end of each day; but then I just may be showing my age. I didn't count all the mountain passes we went up and down, but this may account for some of the hand/wrist problem. I kept telling myself to not tense up so much, but sharp curves on steep downhill grades were a little unnerving. Outside lefthand curves with no guard rails were the worst. It's obvious I need more experience. All in all it was a great trip, and I will begin planning next year's trip fairly soon.

Bike: NC700X
    I love riding in Oregon.
    So, many great place to ride and take pictures. Did you get any pictures?
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member First Road Trip on the NC dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Thanks for the write up. Experience comes a trip at a time, a mile at a time.

When I started touring a mentor told me about the "three pile method". When you get back from a trip unpack and place each item in one of three piles. The Used It and Take it Next Time pile; The Didn't Use It But Might Next Time; The Didn't Use It And Leave It Out Next Time. After sorting the three piles a few times packing becomes a lot easier as piles 1 & 2 get smaller.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member First Road Trip on the NC itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Glad you had a good time with no hiccups on the ride! I get tense on the twisties, also.

It must be elevation or gas or something but I haven't been able to get over 72 mpg on my NC. I ride very conservatively changing gears around 3,500 rpm to get that mpg.

danrev
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    I love riding in Oregon.
    So, many great place to ride and take pictures. Did you get any pictures?
    Not as many as I would've liked. The other guys seemed to just want to go, and not 'stop and smell the roses'. Next trip I will let them know that I would like to take time to stop and see some of the interesting sites along the way.

danrev
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Thanks for the write up. Experience comes a trip at a time, a mile at a time.

When I started touring a mentor told me about the "three pile method". When you get back from a trip unpack and place each item in one of three piles. The Used It and Take it Next Time pile; The Didn't Use It But Might Next Time; The Didn't Use It And Leave It Out Next Time. After sorting the three piles a few times packing becomes a lot easier as piles 1 & 2 get smaller.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

danrev
    Quote Originally Posted by itlives View Post
    Glad you had a good time with no hiccups on the ride! I get tense on the twisties, also.

It must be elevation or gas or something but I haven't been able to get over 72 mpg on my NC. I ride very conservatively changing gears around 3,500 rpm to get that mpg.
    Maybe it's just the rarified air in the Pacific Northwest! I grew up in the deep south and remember the heat and humidity. Maybe 'sticky' air accounts for lower mileage!!!! I also ride conservatively and just put in whatever regular gas the station is selling.

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by danrev View Post
    Not as many as I would've liked. The other guys seemed to just want to go, and not 'stop and smell the roses'. Next trip I will let them know that I would like to take time to stop and see some of the interesting sites along the way.
    Riding is not about getting to a destination, it is about the RIDE! I actually prefer not having a destination when I go for a ride. That way you are not in a hurry to get anywhere. Enjoy the RIDE.

Also, Dduelin is correct about stuff and clothing you carry on a motorcycle trip. Less is best!
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 9th September 2014 at 09:34.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member First Road Trip on the NC happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    As I grow older (and probably wiser), I tend to slow down and smell the roses, take a picture and drink a coffee. Even more often. (I am early 40s, in case you are curious)

I have had plenty of riding buddies to ride with, but very so often they ride like they are in a hurry to reach the waypoint and when I reach it (being the slowest bike and easy-rider riding style), they were already throttling up to hit the road to the next waypoint.
    Where's the fire????

Life is NOT a race, no matter what school you attended.
    It is about living (and riding) in a relaxed (I do not advocate lazy) manner, smelling the roses and experiencing life and then relearn until you get it right.
    Blasting through the twisties can sometimes be exhilarating, but then it must be your non-riding life is so boring that you need this "fix"?
    I do enjoy some reasonable technical challenges like "almost knee down" kind of road carving, but after a while when I am sure I can do it, I revert back to the "what's over there, lets stop" mode.

Take it easy. Try "touring" and not "racing".
    Take a picture. Drink some water or make a coffee.
    Ride and smell the winds (bring down the windshield).
    You may still learn something new again?
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Bike: NC 700x DCT
    Great advice guys. I also just got back from my first big trip. 5 days and 1550 miles also passes thru the central Oregon area and northern California. The cramp buster was a very good purchase. The guys I rode with do like to stop but even more time to kick back would be nice. I think next year will be Montana!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk