Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Seat

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X

Stock Seat

I just took the 2012 NC700X for my first 1 hour trip around town breaking her in. The only thing that feels broken in is my Bony Boston Butt. OMG! I am 6' with an inseam of 34". Is anyone else experiencing a problem with being saddle sore after their ride? I have never been in this riding position before. All my other bikes have been muscle cruisers. I am riding the straight and flat roads of SE Florida right now until I move back up to the mountains of Western NC May 1st. The NC700X seams to crave the tight turns and hills that WNC has to offer. My riding habits will change when I move up there. Right now I am just wiggling around to take the pressure off my a**.

Senior Member Stock Seat robnpat's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    I'm with you on this. I sure would like to find a seat alteration place around here to make the seat about 1" lower and add a gel pad. I may have to start wearing Charmin to make it softer

Super Moderator Stock Seat 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    The riding position is superb. It's ideal. The problem is the seat shape and hardness. Stay tuned and there should be some aftermarket options.

I'm considering pulling off the front half of the seat cover and grinding off the sharp lines to make a more rounded shape, then re-stapling the cover. I've got nothing to lose. I think those sculptured edges fit well with the visual styling of the bike (and that's what sells it), but do nothing for your butt except make matters worse.

In the meantime, bicycling shorts, gel pads, or sheepskin will get us by until a solution is available.
    Last edited by 670cc; 30th August 2012 at 20:19.

Senior Member Stock Seat dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    The seat is similar in shape and hardness to a Sargent. Is there a problem?
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by robnpat View Post
    I'm with you on this. I sure would like to find a seat alteration place around here to make the seat about 1" lower and add a gel pad. I may have to start wearing Charmin to make it softer
    Dianna took my 2010 FXD Dyna Super Glide stock seat and she did a great job replacing the material with memory foam and shaping it to fit my needs. I will be seeing her ASAP when I get back up there. She is a very down to earth kind of woman and takes great pride in the work she does. Here is her website link. Her prices are very reasonable.

diannasshop.com

Dianna’s Shop is one of Western North Carolina’s leading shops for motorcycle seat upholstery. Specializing in custom building each seat, every customer is sure to get the most out of their riding experience. Dianna takes pride in providing top quality services at an affordable price. Call today to find out how Dianna’s Shop can customize your seat!
    Last edited by Seabee Bob; 30th August 2012 at 19:09.

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    The seat is similar in shape and hardness to a Sargent. Is there a problem?
    Is there a problem???? Yes, there is a problem!!!!!!!!! My a** is still sore 2 hours later.

Senior Member Stock Seat dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I guess I was being over the top sarcastic. I rode a couple of 9 hour days on either side of an 11 hour day a couple of weeks ago no problem. Only 1300 miles though, hard to make distance in the Smokies.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I guess I was being over the top sarcastic. I rode a couple of 9 hour days on either side of an 11 hour day a couple of weeks ago no problem. Only 1300 miles though, hard to make distance in the Smokies.
    Do you mind sharing what your height and weight is? I am 6' 225 lbs on a good day and I have what they call "Gone ***" disease. No extra cushion there! I also just turned 53 last July.
    Last edited by Seabee Bob; 30th August 2012 at 21:06.

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    The riding position is superb. It's ideal. The problem is the seat shape and hardness. Stay tuned and there should be some aftermarket options.

I'm considering pulling off the front half of the seat cover and grinding off the sharp lines to make a more rounded shape, then re-stapling the cover. I've got nothing to lose. I think those sculptured edges fit well with the visual styling of the bike (and that's what sells it), but do nothing for your butt except make matters worse.

In the meantime, bicycling shorts, gel pads, or sheepskin will get us by until a solution is available.
    Sounds like a plan 670cc. The only problem with adding a gel pad or sheepskin is the seat height is so high now I find myself tip toeing already at times.

Kuryakyn

SKWOOSH ™ GEL MOTORCYCLE SEAT CUSHIONS

Part # 5205

Hopper Passenger Pad 15" wide x 10½" long x ½" high
    Mid Size Motorcycle Gel Cushion 13" wide x 11" long x 1" high
    Universal Motorcycle Gel Cushion 15½" wide x 14" long x 1" high
    TekPad® gel relieves pressure, maintains circulation & eliminates numbness & discomfort caused by long rides. The combination of TekPad® gel, Independent Comfort Suspension (ICS) & all welded waterproof construction delivers trouble free cruising comfort in a thin (1”), lightweight (16 oz.) compact shape.
    Last edited by Seabee Bob; 30th August 2012 at 21:03.

Senior Member Stock Seat
    Stock Seat
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    I want a Russell Day long for sure! My ask doesn't care what the price is.