Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12,000 mile service BLUES

Bike: Triumph Explorer XC, KTM 990 SMT
    Quote Originally Posted by BttrThnWrk View Post
    I just thank my lucky stars Honda didn't use the same size fasterners on all their bodywork! I can't imagine how confusing & frustrating THAT would have been.
    LOL. My thoughts exactly! Maybe they didn't let all the different engineers talk to each other.

Senior Member 12,000 mile service BLUES Cyclerosis's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2014 Concours14
    Quote Originally Posted by showkey View Post
    Brake bleeding is NOT in the newbie skill set.
    While it is not incredibly difficult there are many things that can go very wrong.

It is good when one realizes their limitations...................
    Respectfully have to disagree with that statement.

Standard brakes are very simple to bleed. Limitations are overcome with the right tools and proper knowledge which could come from the manual. And anyone having service department sticker shock, has the impetus to take the steps to become mechanically adept.

Bike: NC700X (Red, manual, ABS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclerosis View Post
    The service manual is only about $60. Everything you mentioned is doable by a newbie with basic tools, patience and the time to do it.
    He has the manual. He was recently surprised that the manual doesn't explain how to tell if a fuse is good or bad. He might be better served by the third-party manual recently mentioned on the forum, which is designed as a walk-through for owners doing their own maintenance, rather than looking at the Honda service manual, which is aimed at shop mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bike: NC700X
    I agree with you - If I ride on it, I work on it.

Senior Member 12,000 mile service BLUES X-Man's Avatar
    Bike: nc700xa
    I would think all the owners manuals are the same, from what I can see it calls for changing the brake fluid every two years. Unless your brake pads are worn and need replacing. Then it would make sense to change the brake fluid at the same time.
    My bike just rolled over to 20,000km (12,000 miles).When the brakes were last checked at 17,000km they still had plenty of pad left.

Senior Member 12,000 mile service BLUES Chestnut's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    The manual says to change the brake fluid every 2 years or 12,000 miles. I doubt that the brake pads will need replacing, but you need to be comfortable with your machine. If replacing pads early keeps you from worrying, it's worth it.
    Eagerly awaiting the day tiny feet can reach the passenger pegs...

Super Moderator 12,000 mile service BLUES 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I realize everyone is different and has different talents, but I sure am glad I can maintain and repair my house, vehicles and toys. If I couldn't do my own work, I would definitely have to sell the boat and four of the six motorcycles, and maybe the motor home, too.

I think over the years, doing my own repairs and maintenance has likely saved me over $100,000 - enough to buy the toys, the tools, and the shop manuals!

Greg
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member 12,000 mile service BLUES Chris's Avatar
    Bike: VFR1200X (Crosstourer)
    Maybe the American owner's manual is different from the European one.

In the European manual there is no 12,000 mile service. 600, then every 8,000 miles is the service interval - with annual checks and oil change in case of lower mileage.

If pads were worn to the limits that's another call, independent of service schedule - but if pads were worn out in 12,000 miles that's surprising wear.

Brake fluid change is specified for every two years regardless of mileage. This is standard for pretty much all vehicles because mileage is not the problem with brake fluid - the problem is the amount of time it is exposed to the air, absorbing moisture. The manual says to check the fluid every 8,000 miles/12 months but the check can rarely be anything more than level check.

Excess work seems to have been performed here: Air filter (should be 16,000 miles unless used in very dusty conditions) brake fluid (not due until 2 years) and quite possible pads (they only need replacing when they reach the wear limit and I'd expect them to last at least 25,000 miles with normal use (not got enough miles on my DCT version to know actual consumption but there's plenty of engine braking for normal deceleration so brake use is average).

I wouldn't advise Strat to do any more work on the bike than he feels comfortable with. Once upon a time it was possible to go to basic maintenance classes that taught simple mechanical tasks - if such classes are available in the US he'd be well advised to take them as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Chris; 24th July 2013 at 19:15.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclerosis View Post
    Respectfully have to disagree with that statement.

Standard brakes are very simple to bleed. Limitations are overcome with the right tools and proper knowledge which could come from the manual. And anyone having service department sticker shock, has the impetus to take the steps to become mechanically adept.
    I would normally agree but given the recent disaster in starting a motorcycle with a dead battery..........simple things can get complex.....quickly......

Pad change can also be simple............but pushing the caliper piston back dealing with overflowing master reservoir, postioning pad shims, contaminating the pad with grease or oil, etc can be beyond a novice as well.

Brake bleeding would you have the novice newbie use the "pump the pedal" with friend or hand vacuum pump, air power vacuum pump like the manual shows , pump fluid in from the bottom method, gravity bleed or some other variation........???????? There is a technique to a get a good air free bleed............could you image the thread we could get on getting a firm pedal after brake after a novice brake fluid swap.

Same for a coolant change simple until system gets air locked or some other simple thing turns wrong.....wrong coolant will destroy a Honda pump seal etc.
    Another example valve setting.......garage post has a good example of "simple" procedure gone wrong........that one happened to end well. Loose valves make noise easy to ID...... Running with Tight valve can cause damage in a relatively short time.......and may have no symptoms until its burnt.

As pointed out many of us service any and all parts of our bikes including frame up restorations and complete rebuilding......we should be careful in recommending newbies getting in over their heads without in person supervision.

I do also know everyone has their first time..........
    Last edited by showkey; 24th July 2013 at 19:44.

Senior Member 12,000 mile service BLUES X-Man's Avatar
    Bike: nc700xa
    I was looking at the European version online I think in my actual manual it says to replace at 12,000 miles or 2 years. I would tend to stick with the 2 years myself or when the pads needed replacing. I can't see how replacing fluids would be any different in Europe or N.A.
    I also agree that you need to service your bike when your comfortable with having it done.