Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frunk power outlet

Senior Member Frunk power outlet Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    If you use the Honda harness is the accessory power off when key off? I like to charge my MP3 when I am off the bike.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    When the key is off the Accessory goes off. In your case if you want to have constant power instead of switched power you can go direct to the battery. Just be sure its fused and a switch wouldn't be a bad idea to turn it off when you dont want it energized.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    If you use the Honda harness is the accessory power off when key off? I like to charge my MP3 when I am off the bike.
    Craig

I'm letting dealer install heated grips and power outlet so it will be switched. May install a second one through the fuse block rather than moving the wiring. Kind of like the 2 port usb one and my MP3 has a usb plug for charging.
    Apply dog logic to life:

ATG ATT

Finished

Got it all back together. I installed the Honda Sub-Harness and the Honda Relay kit. In addition, I got the matching female connectors to plug my accessories into the Honda Subharness. I installed the Frunk Dual USB chargers and powered by GPS. Now everything is on-off with the key. I think this will do everything I need.
    Frunk power outlet-20130627_211908-2-jpgFrunk power outlet-20130627_211918-2-jpgFrunk power outlet-20130627_211939-2-jpg
    Craig

Senior Member Frunk power outlet
    Frunk power outlet
    Bike: 2012 NC700X; 2005 GL1800A
    Craig, how do you run power out of the frunk to your GPS? Do you just close the lid over the USB cable?
    IBA: 64008
    Best Mileage: 80.9 mpg; Worst Mileage: 51.4 mpg; Average Fun: 10/10

Check out the: Pacific Northwest Riders Group join The Down to Earth Club if you have qualified.
    "I don't care what the weather is, when I can ride I will ride - there plain and simple." - OCR
    Contingit ergo stercore configes tua cursoriam

Frunk power outlet
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    In the photo below, hopefully you'll see a pic of the Honda power outlet from inside the trunk. The top edge of the outlet's rubber surround is 2 inches down from the top of the black plastic trunk container (small lip or shelf the gasket seals against), and 1 1/2 inches 'back' from the flat front side of the container. Hopefully that helps a little.

P.S. Honda installed this outlet, I did not.
    It looks like the dealership just guessed on that one too instead of removing the side cowl to get it exactly on mark....

Check out the: Pacific Northwest Riders Group join The Down to Earth Club if you have qualified.
    "I don't care what the weather is, when I can ride I will ride - there plain and simple." - OCR

Dan, No, I ran the GPS power cord down the handlebars with the other handlebar cables and tie wrapped it along the harness all the way to the Honda Sub-harness as the Sub-harness has four plugs for accessories. I used one for the Frunk power point and one for the GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Craig, how do you run power out of the frunk to your GPS? Do you just close the lid over the USB cable?
    Craig

Bike: NC700X 2012
    Well done!

I thought the sub-harness is definitely the way to go. Well protected behind a fuse and relay.

Frunk power outlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigmri View Post
    Dan, No, I ran the GPS power cord down the handlebars with the other handlebar cables and tie wrapped it along the harness all the way to the Honda Sub-harness as the Sub-harness has four plugs for accessories. I used one for the Frunk power point and one for the GPS.
    That makes a lot of sense. I suppose the GPS has a 12V power supply so you can run it right into the harness without any kind of transformer on it. I ordered connectors so I have them on hand when the time comes. Thanks for the great idea!!! When it comes to the electrical side of things, I have to admit that I am a bit timid.

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. I suppose the GPS has a 12V power supply so you can run it right into the harness without any kind of transformer on it. I ordered connectors so I have them on hand when the time comes. Thanks for the great idea!!! When it comes to the electrical side of things, I have to admit that I am a bit timid.
    Cafeful. Just read in another forum of someone frying their Garmin GPS wiring directly to battery. Forgot the cord suppleid with GPS drops voltage from 12V to 5V. Make sure the voltage is correct by the time it gets to GPS. Could be a costly mistake. That said I bought a motorcyle harness for my Garmin Nuvi 550 with wire long enough to get to battery or fuse block. Would probalby work wiht any Garmin that uses same mini plug for power.
    Apply dog logic to life:

ATG ATT