Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NC700x VS Mana GT 850?

Bike: 2012 NC700x

NC700x VS Mana GT 850?

Why hasn't the Honda NC700x been compared (professionally) to the Aprilia Mana GT 850? I am literally scratching my head as I type (very talented I know). The Mana is closer to what the Honda is than any other bike it's been compared to. The Mana has a frunk, rear fuel tank, same rider positioning, smaller style fairing, and automatic transmission (different styles I know). There are some differences. A DCT tranny with ABS for the Honda is 8500. A CVT with ABS (only style) comes in at just under 11000 for the Mana. The Honda gets better fuel economy, but the Aprilia motor is quicker and more motorcycle like. The Aprilia also has better suspension, and multiple engine map settings. They are also both chain drive bikes with street tires. The Mana also came out earlier. I did not even know this bike existed when I bought my NC, otherwise I probably would have ended up with the Aprilia. What do you guys think? I have read that the fit-n-finish is awesome on the Aprilia, much like the Honda. How are the Italian bikes long term? Head still being scratched!

Bike: NC700X
    Looks like mpg can't break 50 according to Fuelly. I don't think it is an economy bike for upfront cost or running costs.

Senior Member NC700x VS Mana GT 850? frozenpoet's Avatar
    Bike: cbr600, NC700X
    My biggest problem with the Aprilia other than price is dealer network.
    I get 63 MPG, what do you get? Speeding tickets?
    I pack to camp but stay in a hotel because I have no idea what I'm doing...

instagram.com/J_in_the_va

on two wheels

Senior Member NC700x VS Mana GT 850? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    The Mana was mentioned in some of the initial reviews of the NC700. It's V twin motor vibrated a bit and the mileage and power was not comparable to other bikes in this displacement range. I think the biggest thing Honda did that Aprilia could not is promise a reputation of reliability with ease of ownership and when service is required a world class parts and service network. Honda also positioned the NC bikes in the market as fuel efficient from the outset so the low power output and high mileage went hand in hand. Piaggio has had a problem with keeping dealers during the past few years. Any dealer that wants Aprilia has to also carry Vespa, Piaggo scooters, and Moto Guzzi and floor plan every model. With the recession killing sales it nearly wiped out their dealer network. We have had three dealers in 5 years. My opinion but I think anyone that likes Honda's brand image views Italian brands like Aprilia as nice but not to be trusted to be there when needed.

I thought I read a couple months ago the Mana was dropped from Aprilia's line up but it is still listed on the USA website.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

danrev
    I guess I would opt for the ubiquity of the Honda NC over the esoteric nature of the Aprilia Mana. Unless you live in close proximity to a larger city, dealers are hard to find. Locally we have Honda, Yamaha and Harley and that's it. The Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer closed out this winter.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by motocommuter View Post
    A DCT tranny with ABS for the Honda is 8500. A CVT with ABS (only style) comes in at just under 11000 for the Mana. The Honda gets better fuel economy, but the Aprilia motor is quicker and more motorcycle like.

"CVT and more motorcycle like"................does not compute

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Never had an Aprilia. Had an Alfa Romeo, though. Super fun to drive. Complete piece of junk, mechanically, and very expensive parts and service (as well as scarce). There's no compelling reason, to me, to contemplate repeating that ownership experience.

Senior Member NC700x VS Mana GT 850? Ramseysteve's Avatar
    Bike: NCX700XA
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    Never had an Aprilia. Had an Alfa Romeo, though. Super fun to drive. Complete piece of junk, mechanically, and very expensive parts and service (as well as scarce). There's no compelling reason, to me, to contemplate repeating that ownership experience.
    Hah! In my youth i owned a couple of Lancias (one before the Fiat takeover), and regretfully owned an Alfa Romeo 33 4wd wagon back in the late 80's. it was so unreliable that the dealership took the car back 6 months later at close to my cost, and that was in Australia where there were no lemon laws. Engine cutting out at highway speeds, potential vehicle fires, you name it.. And I was an Alfa 'lover', and had lusted after the Alfa 1300 and 1600 GT Juniors.. But.. There's no way I'd buy into another marginal Italian manufacturer's half-assed dealership network at this stage, not when the big guys offer so much more. I'd maybe look at a Ducati, but I even have dealership concerns where they're concerned.
    doTERRA - I've got an oil for that.

glenbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    Much like my 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder. Loads of fun to drive, transmission like silk, comfy, cute, but no one worked on them. No tears were shed when a big truck decided to run over it while it was parked in a side street at work.

Senior Member NC700x VS Mana GT 850? Ramseysteve's Avatar
    Bike: NCX700XA
    Quote Originally Posted by glenbo View Post
    Much like my 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder. Loads of fun to drive, transmission like silk, comfy, cute, but no one worked on them. No tears were shed when a big truck decided to run over it while it was parked in a side street at work.
    The only people I could find in London who could work on my Lancias was at a small independent service shop that specialized in servicing Fiats. It was depressingly expensive and inconvenient. Driving my Lancia Beta Coupe back from Spain to England one year I broke down on the Autostrada with a multitude of oil leaks and breached gaskets. I limped off at the first exit, turned right to the nearest village and happened upon the biggest Lancia service center in the whole of SW France, so all was well, for the time being. Got me home anyway. 6 months later I came to my senses and traded it in on a Mk1 Golf GTI.
    doTERRA - I've got an oil for that.