Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which centerstand to buy, Honda or SW-MOTECH?

Bike: 07 HD FXDB

Question Which centerstand to buy, Honda or SW-MOTECH?

Greetings,

I've been looking for some discussion regarding the centerstands currently on the market for the NC700X. Surprised I couldn't find any thread on this, so figured I'd open one

Has anyone had the oppurtunity to compare both stands? What are the pros / cons of each design?

Bike: NC700X
    I don't have any experience with any other than the Honda, but I can tell you that the Honda stand works well. It's easy to put the bike on and take it off the stand. It also seems well built and when I was shopping for a stand the others were quite a bit more expensive.

Bob

Supporting Vendor

Which centerstand to buy, Honda or SW-MOTECH?
    Bike: NC700X nc700xd
    if you ever want a skid plate from me, it only works with the honda center stand. dale

Senior Member Which centerstand to buy, Honda or SW-MOTECH? Ramseysteve's Avatar
    Bike: NCX700XA
    Agreed, it's difficult to see what the advantage of the SWM stand has over the OEM version. Normally third party suppliers produce parts that the OEM doesn't offer, or fills a need that the OEM stuff doesn't address, ie adjustable side stands to go with lowering links, etc. But in this case the product description for SWM's stand offers no suggestion that it functions any differently than the OEM unit, and costs more.
    doTERRA - I've got an oil for that.

Senior Member Which centerstand to buy, Honda or SW-MOTECH?
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    Since The OEM is the only stand that works with Dales skid-plate makes it an easy decision. That skid-plate flat *** rocks!!!!!

Bike: NC700X, KLR650
    I was faced with the center stand question a couple bikes ago, and a more experienced friend asked me -
    Why buy a center stand at all?
    Get a rear stand to do maintenance at home and don't carry that heavy center stand around all the time.

So I watched for a good price on a rear stand and saved money and weight on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
    I was faced with the center stand question a couple bikes ago, and a more experienced friend asked me -
    Why buy a center stand at all?
    Get a rear stand to do maintenance at home and don't carry that heavy center stand around all the time.

So I watched for a good price on a rear stand and saved money and weight on my bike.
    If Honda had bothered to put provisions for swing arm spools on the bike I would do the same thing. I didn't like the look of any of the aftermarket spool mounts, so that meant I would have to use the style of stand that uses pads that go under the arm. I have one of those and used it until I got the center stand, but I always feel I'm about to drop the bike every time I use it. I also have to position the pads pretty far forward under the arm so they don't interfere with the sprocket when I rotate the wheel for chain lubing. I also have a Pit Bull fork stand with pads that go under the bottoms of the fork tubes and that's really solid, so maybe if I had a different brand of stand it would work better. At any rate, unless someone comes out with a spool mount that doesn't interfere with chain adjustment or wheel removal, I feel a lot more confident using the center stand.

Bob

Bike: DL1000,GS500,GS850 hack
    HONDA !!
    Cheap,simple install and it just fits !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NC700XAR
    GS850G..BLACK SUNSHINE..The tripod
    GS500..THE PURPLE EXPLORER
    Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
    R&G makes a set of brackets for the NC to mount spools on look nice check out Twisted Throttles site..
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I had already looked at those. I may be wrong, but they look like they are secured by the axle bolts. Two of the reasons i would use a stand are chain adjustment and rear wheel removal, both of which require either loosening or removing the axle. It seemed like a bad idea to support the bike on spools secured by the same hardware I needed to remove.

Like I said before, I may be wrong but I wasn't willing to take that chance.

Bob

Bike: NC700X, KLR650
    Hmm. Maybe I spoke too soon.

Have to look and see if my rear stand is compatible with the NC700X. It works with the KLR, and will work with or without spools, so I expect it will. But I'll check tomorrow.

Still not crazy about the cost and weight of a center stand.

Steve