Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions

  1. #1
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    3,345

    Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions

    Hi all
    Some may consider buying the Crossrunner (14,500chf) or the NCX (8,010chf).

    (Disclaimer: this is based on my own non-professional opinion. I try my best to be objective and not sour-grapes. Pardon me if I say no-so-nice things about the CR, I know who else has one)


    Many people will see the great physical resemblance between the "venerable" Crossrunner (already few years available now) and the new NC700X.

    Today I sent my NCX into the garage for her first service (plus to install the tourshield and mainstand) and I requested a Crossrunner as the replacement bike for the day. It was a short 10min ride on the autobahn to my home.

    First impressions of the Crossrunner (compared to my NCX):

    This CR was 2800km (so it is quite a new piece)

    1. The engine is not as smooth as I imagined after reading rave reports online. 4 cyclinders?

    2. The bike feels heavy and handling required a little more focus and care (unlike NCX, NCX was almost like a big bicycle)

    3. The acceleration is not too dissimilar to the NCX, however it can rev past 10,000rpm (redline was something like 11 or 12k) and keep on going

    4. The gear shift lever feels very thin and flimsy (NCX was short, thick and solid). I was afraid I may break it.

    5. Seat....what can I say, it is from a road bike. Flat and smooth, does nothing for me. And it was quite thin (less foam)

    6. Dashboard, looks very dated. Everything was like spaghetti, meshed into the small screen. Orange backlight was ....orange and dim.

    7. It is fast, of course, it is 4cyc with 100ps? But I do not speed along the autobahn, it is just not me (anymore).

    8. It definitely packs a bigger motor, but where is the torque? I was told they are good 2-up, but I cannot do a qualified comparison because I always ride solo.

    Therefore I was genuinely surprised I am not sour-grapes after this short 10min ride home.
    Or was it really 20mins?

    Later this afternoon, I will return to the garage via some trunkroads and give a part2 of the review on twisties. I hope the CR performs well on these.

    Don't change the channel.
    Last edited by happy; 1st June 2012 at 00:37.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    3,345
    Part 2:

    The power of the VFR800 is just awesome! I opened up to 8000rpm and it began to rock and roll.
    However, I think it is too powerful for me. I cannot control it, and therefore I cannot enjoy a smooth ride through the winding roads.

    The sitting position is also lower (somehow) compared to the NCX.

    The seats are also wider (maybe it is the motor width itself). Me, being a guy with short legs, just don't cut it.
    I suspect (they look like) the seat length is shorter than the NCX. (bad for 2 up)

    I was so glad when I got back my NCX.

    So, the Crossrunner may be good for some other taller, more skillful rider, it is not for me, a weekend warrior and one who only rides when the sun is out.

    Have fun!
    Last edited by happy; 1st June 2012 at 09:11.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ashford Kent England
    Posts
    2,611
    As an owner of both bikes I have to reply to your comments
    1 enginge is definately smoother than the NC
    2 I can corner faster on my CR than my NC
    3 CR will definately out accelerate a NC especially if you take it into the V-TEC range
    4 really can understand your comment about the gear lever. Nobody on the CR forum has ever had a problem with it
    5 Seat what can I say I have just returned from a 5 day trip covering over 2000 miles with no discomfort at all. An hour riding the NC makes me want to stand up
    6 Dash the only problem is that it is sometimes difficult to read in bright sunlight which is not often a problem in the UK. as to the screen like the NC it is better with the alternative higher screen fitted
    7 at my motorway cruising speed of 80-85 MPH CR is far more relaxed
    8 I never take a passenger as my wife has her own bikes but plenty of the guys on the CR forum tour 2 up with no problem. The engines power is also more suitable for 2 up riding than the NCs
    I'm 5'10" but only have a 28" inside leg and I manage the CR just as easily as the NC
    You make no mention of the effect of the V-TEC on performance. This is surely an important feature of this model
    Have you considered a career as a motorcycle journalist as like some of them you seem to be able to dismiss a bike after just a few miles.
    BTW You are incorrect when you say that the CR has been available for a few years as I bought mine a year ago and it was the 1st one that my dealer had sold and I had to wait for the luggage as it was a new model. I even had problems insuring it as many companies didn't have it on their databases at the time
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

  4. #4
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
    As an owner of both bikes I have to reply to your comments
    1 enginge is definately smoother than the NC
    2 I can corner faster on my CR than my NC
    3 CR will definately out accelerate a NC especially if you take it into the V-TEC range
    4 really can understand your comment about the gear lever. Nobody on the CR forum has ever had a problem with it
    5 Seat what can I say I have just returned from a 5 day trip covering over 2000 miles with no discomfort at all. An hour riding the NC makes me want to stand up
    6 Dash the only problem is that it is sometimes difficult to read in bright sunlight which is not often a problem in the UK. as to the screen like the NC it is better with the alternative higher screen fitted
    7 at my motorway cruising speed of 80-85 MPH CR is far more relaxed
    8 I never take a passenger as my wife has her own bikes but plenty of the guys on the CR forum tour 2 up with no problem. The engines power is also more suitable for 2 up riding than the NCs
    I'm 5'10" but only have a 28" inside leg and I manage the CR just as easily as the NC
    You make no mention of the effect of the V-TEC on performance. This is surely an important feature of this model
    Have you considered a career as a motorcycle journalist as like some of them you seem to be able to dismiss a bike after just a few miles.
    BTW You are incorrect when you say that the CR has been available for a few years as I bought mine a year ago and it was the 1st one that my dealer had sold and I had to wait for the luggage as it was a new model. I even had problems insuring it as many companies didn't have it on their databases at the time
    Here we go again.
    1. I did say it was my "FIRST" impressions. Any longer term riding, will make me LIKE the bike, any bike.
    2. I did not mean to bash the bike. I had imagined the 4cyc engine to be much more smoother, I did not say compared to NCx.
    3. I did say the power is awesome on the ride back when I opened the throttle up. She rocks. But the 2cyc versus 4cyc feeling is what I am feeling. Not the PS count.
    4. I did say the bike is not suitable for ME, others will find it wonderful

    Please do not say something personal, stick to the factual discussions which you are always so fond of. We could be friends but sometimes this type of statements throw us off the discussion.
    Have you considered a career as a motorcycle journalist as like some of them you seem to be able to dismiss a bike after just a few miles.
    Dear sir, I believe you still have an axe to grind with me, but pls stop it. I was made to leave the other forum because of you and now still here? I respect your age and length of motorcycling, more than you think I do. I am just really sad this goes on and on and on.

    So, the Crossrunner may be good for some other taller, more skillful rider, it is not for me, a weekend warrior and one who only rides when the sun is out.

    I said First Impressions of Crossrunner (MY PERSONAL IMPRESSION), not you or your Crossrunner. Can you see the lighter side of things? Please?

    I strongly believe it is the riding position which did not sit with me, therefore the impression. I may prefer the 1200 Crosstourer which is more comparable (sitting position) with the NCx. However I am not even going to try that bike. Too tempting.
    Last edited by happy; 3rd June 2012 at 03:20.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ashford Kent England
    Posts
    2,611
    If you are going to post your opinions of a bike that by your own admission you only rode for a short time then you only have to expect anybody with much more experiance of that bike (i.e. having owned one for just over a year and over 9000 miles) to reply with their opinions of that bike.. It's called discussion

    I don't intend to get into an argument with you as life is too short but please don't give the good people on this forum the impression that you left the other forum because of me. You were asked to leave by the moderator because you had upset him and several others which yes included me. after much pleading from you he allowed you back on but due to you returning to your old ways you were finally asked to leave once and for all.
    Anyway I'm not going to get involved with you as I joined this forum to discuss and share information about bikes NOT personalities
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

  6. #6
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
    If you are going to post your opinions of a bike that by your own admission you only rode for a short time then you only have to expect anybody with much more experiance of that bike (i.e. having owned one for just over a year and over 9000 miles) to reply with their opinions of that bike.. It's called discussion

    I don't intend to get into an argument with you as life is too short but please don't give the good people on this forum the impression that you left the other forum because of me. You were asked to leave by the moderator because you had upset him and several others which yes included me. after much pleading from you he allowed you back on but due to you returning to your old ways you were finally asked to leave once and for all.
    Anyway I'm not going to get involved with you as I joined this forum to discuss and share information about bikes NOT personalities
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
    Strange how some people also post on forums criticising bikes that they have only ridden for a couple of very short trips
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
    Have you considered a career as a motorcycle journalist as like some of them you seem to be able to dismiss a bike after just a few miles.
    Yes, please then stick to the bike facts and not personal statements about me or anyone here. See the above personal statements about me, not bikes.

    That's why I was portrayed as a bogeyman by you to that admin.
    All your posts towards me (in the other forum) included caustic sentences meant to hurt and demean the commentator or their opinions.
    It seems you are only willing to accept only opinions which are in sync with yours.
    Other opinions are just wrong and badly informed. (I have asked the admin there to keep my posts intact, for all curious people to review, if they care)

    When you cannot out-argue based on facts (remember you said most internet shops are crooks? My successful purchase of a new Shoei helmet was factually negating your perceptions), you then return to the "there he goes again...bad ways"...

    Sad, isn't it.

    I, however, do agree with you (and not mean to be anything but simple), lets just avoid crossing paths and life's short. So lets move on.
    I don't want to come here, and be unhappy. Again, I said and I say again, let's be friends rather than enemies. The ball is yours.

    TO the others on this forum: My apologies, I did not mean to openly write these upsetting details here. Sorry to disturb the peace. I will not be bullied (again) because of my perceived poor level of English or age or bike-knowledge.
    Last edited by happy; 3rd June 2012 at 06:49.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ashford Kent England
    Posts
    2,611
    Please do not misquote me as I never said that internet shops were crooks. I merely said that I would never buy a helmet from them as I wouldn't know how old the stock was.I also said that I prefer to support my local dealer. I do in fact buy some items from internet shops quite happily. it was this sort of representation that caused problems on the other forum
    For your information I NEVER contacted the admin of the other forum about you. It was in fact him that contacted me. Now please just let me enjoy the company of the other guys on this forum
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

  8. #8
    Member
    Bike: Honda CBF1000
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    44
    So can we now move on - please!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ashford Kent England
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Ken View Post
    So can we now move on - please!
    Certainly!! I never wanted an argument in the first place
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

  10. #10
    Senior Member Crossrunner (versus NCx): first impressions happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    3,345
    Hello Rocker,
    Lets all get along (which was what I had said again and again). I am still willing to try. And I mean it. I hope you see this as sincere and not otherwise.
    Ok, lets have a happy forum and enjoy everybody's banter, chat and videos.

    ~Joe.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •