Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change

Bike: 2012 NC700X

First Oil Change

So I completed my first oil change today and WTF!!! That oil filter was just about impossible to take off. I did manage to take it off after almost an hour of messing around with it. I was hoping that I had enough time to start installing my new accessories but I ran out of time. Oh well, I will get to them tomorrow. Can't wait to see how the bike looks once everything is on.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Norwalk. The other one, no the other one.
    You know mine too from the factory was way over tightened I had to crush it with a pair of large channel locks to get enough grip. The factory stooges apparently don't know about proper filter installation, 1/2 to 3/4 turn past first contact.

Senior Member First Oil Change StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    from other posts about oil changes , I read that some just drill straight through the filter, remove drill, push a long screw driver through both holes, then turn it with both hands! I'm sure you get quite a bit of leverage/torque that way!
    Makes sense, as you are not keeping the filter anyway. I didn't have to do that the first time, but I was close.....

I make sure now to buy the filters that have the NUT built into the center of the round end. I'm counting on that nut to make the next removal considerably easier.

Senior Member First Oil Change dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    from other posts about oil changes , I read that some just drill straight through the filter, remove drill, push a long screw driver through both holes, then turn it with both hands! I'm sure you get quite a bit of leverage/torque that way!
    Makes sense, as you are not keeping the filter anyway. I didn't have to do that the first time, but I was close.....

I make sure now to buy the filters that have the NUT built into the center of the round end. I'm counting on that nut to make the next removal considerably easier.
    If you are the one changing your filter than it won't be too tight next time and any decent wrench or those things at the ends of your arms easily will remove it. The nut on the end does make it easy though.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: now: V-Strom650; sold :NC700s DCT
    What about the warranty? I can't change oil&filters because there will be no more warranty. For the first 2 years I have to take the bike to the dealer.
    Apply firmly a little bit of oil on the rubber sealing of the filter,it will be easier to remove next time.

Bike: NC700X
    I've always gone the crunch the filter route with channel locks too. In part because I have them and not a dedicated tool. I'll be up for my first oil change in a couple weeks. Purolator filter on the way from Amazon. If anyone wants to buy four quarts of OEM oil and filter, give me a buzz. I bought them for convenience when I picked up the bike (plus I thought I was going to need the OEM filter to make sure I bought a compatible third party one), but I'm going a different way on the maintenance items.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee3544 View Post
    What about the warranty? I can't change oil&filters because there will be no more warranty. For the first 2 years I have to take the bike to the dealer.
    Apply firmly a little bit of oil on the rubber sealing of the filter,it will be easier to remove next time.
    Warranty laws are different here in the U.S. I'm pretty sure that I haven't voided my warranty just by changing the oil and filter. Any of you US riders know that for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
    If anyone wants to buy four quarts of OEM oil and filter, give me a buzz. I bought them for convenience when I picked up the bike (plus I thought I was going to need the OEM filter to make sure I bought a compatible third party one), but I'm going a different way on the maintenance items.
    What oil to you plan to use? In a different Oil changing thread, I learned that Rotella T6 is a good choice. Folks who use it demonstrated that it conforms to all the Honda requirements in everything except that it's 5w-30w NOT 10w-30w.
    I'm considering using it next time as it's readily available (Walmart) and cheaper.
    What are you using?

Senior Member First Oil Change dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    What oil to you plan to use? In a different Oil changing thread, I learned that Rotella T6 is a good choice. Folks who use it demonstrated that it conforms to all the Honda requirements in everything except that it's 5w-30w NOT 10w-30w.
    I'm considering using it next time as it's readily available (Walmart) and cheaper.
    What are you using?
    In the US the Magnuson Moss Act of 1975 allows a vehicle owner to do their own maintenance and still enjoy protections under the manufacturer's warranty. Save receipts and use supplies that meet manufacturer specifications. Rotella T6 is 5W-40 BTW.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: NC700X
    What are you using?
    It was me with the T6. I didn't want to hijack this thread. I've already bought two gallons and applied for the rebate.