Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

Bike: NC700X
    It was last year on a Yamaha XJ6.

With the Yam it was possible to circle on minimal gas, with the NC I have to play with clutch and gas to do the same.

B.R.

Super Moderator What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I took the "over 150cc" test about 37 years ago on a Kawasaki 400. I don't need to take the test again, but I practiced the course at the DMV while helping my wife practice for her license last year. I'm sure the course layout varies from state to state. Ours was pretty darn tough to do on a Goldwing 1800, but a cinch on the NC700X.

To me, the NC is like the trials bike of the street, and there's no mid sized motorcycle I'd rather use for a DMV test. The low CofG is a plus, as well as the low end grunt and the good feel of the rear brake for accurate speed control on tight slow turns.

In my opinion, intentionally taking the test on a bike other than the one you intend to ride because otherwise you would fail, is "cheating". Sorry you missed on the test, but I'm gonna be honest and say, you can't blame it on this bike. I'm getting a bit defensive here because you're blaming the test failure on the bike - MY BIKE. Watch this video before you say "That bike isn't designed to do that." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVyLfeRwUk

Practice more and/or take a motorcycle training course and you'll get it.

Greg
    Last edited by 670cc; 21st April 2013 at 06:50.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 17 Tenere ES-16 R1200RS
    Practice! Learn how to ride slowly and practice. Oh yeah, practice!
    Mike

Senior Member What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test? Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Suzuki TC120 Trail Cat
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

Bike: NC700S
    I did my test on a rinky dink little Johnny Pag something or other. I took the safety course and it was one of their loaner bikes. But I have since ridden the same pylon course on bikes as heavy as a HD Dyna Super Glide (~680 lbs and nowhere near as low of a C of G) and one of the instructors pulled the same course on a Goldwing (>900 lbs). Trust me, the few hundred you'd shell out for the safety course is more than worth the skill set you learn for slow speed maneuvering. Anyone can ride a bike at speed, it's the parking lot stuff that takes practice.

Senior Member What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test? Ramseysteve's Avatar
    Bike: NCX700XA
    Quote Originally Posted by johnakay View Post
    passed my test on a lambretta scooter in 1968.
    Hah! You beat me! I passed it my first time around on a Lambretta SX200 in 1971, as I recall in or near Crouch End, or somewhere like that in North London.
    doTERRA - I've got an oil for that.

Senior Member What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test? StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    .................................................. ..............
    Last edited by StratTuner; 21st April 2013 at 22:23.

Bike: NC gone
    Wow, that's an interesting topic. I often coach new riders in my area and that's something I always hear. As Greg said, you should pass the test with YOUR bike. I passed my test with a GL1100 (a while ago...) and had no issue.

I think some may need a little more practice, and maybe an "expensive" driving course would be well worth it. The skills that are tested on that closed exam are the one you will need on a daily basis on the road, dealing with the cage drivers trying to kill you all the time.

Each year, after the winter, I take my current bikes to the test center a week-end to practice/play in the field. I could easily do the entire test with my GL1800, so the NCX is a bicycle for me... Lower speed manoeuvres are easily achievable in 2nd (or even 3rd gear depending on the bike), using the friction zone, with the foot on the rear brake. That's something you will learn in a riding course.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Senior Member What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test? StratTuner's Avatar
    .................................................. ...................

.................................................. ........................