31 53.45%
  • Manual

27 46.55%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DCT or Manual

Bike: CBX250

DCT or Manual

Hi All,

I have a tough decision to make. I really want a White NC700X and can get a manual one today, but for about $1000 I can get a DCT only in June.

I had my mind set on a DCT, but I would like to know whether any of you have an opinion about the manual vs DCT vs $1000. I commute about 50KM a day every day. 50% highway 50% B roads.

Sorry if this has been asked before. The search function is giving me hassels.

Thank you.
    Last edited by mrmin24; 16th April 2013 at 06:37.

Bike: nc700 dct
    I had a list of motorcycles that I was interested in (BMW, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and the Zero)
    It came down to the Honda with dct option. The dealer has a silver color Manuel version on the floor, if I wanted that. However I decided for a red version with dct and will have to wait till end of this month to get it.
    I wish the states had a white color one, I like the white color version a little better.

Ken

Senior Member DCT or Manual StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    if you had your heart set on Auto, then wait. You'll feel like you missed out if you get manual just because you're in a hurry.

Senior Member DCT or Manual dog's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XDC
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    if you had your heart set on Auto, then wait. You'll feel like you missed out if you get manual just because you're in a hurry.
    Agreed, plus you get ABS thrown in too.

Bike: NC700X DCT
    No vote by myself.
    The manual clutch version is great fun to ride.
    Deciding about auto version would require lengthy test rides. Things won't clear up after a short ride.
    Decision cannot be taken by anyone but yourself.
    If it is just about riding fun or simple sporty riding, go with manual clutch version. 10kg less of weight, less money, immediate availability, full fun, no issues.
    In case you like to dive into it deeper, learn about that technology, do lots of inner city rides or just want to forget about manual shifting, DCT is no mistake at all. Works great.
    But nobody can tell apart from yourself.
    I personally like to ride both, and my main concern against DCT was engine weight (which I think one could feel). Also mpg rate is slightly better with manual clutch version. However, I am very happy with my DCT, and there are rides where I feel like it is absolutely great and could not be any better.
    (Riding style: no city, no motorway, mostly cross country roads and small backroads, sometimes ambitious, sometimes relaxed, full rev range)

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    Agreed, plus you get ABS thrown in too.
    He is outside USA. Pretty sure both manual and DCT has ABS as standard. Only in the US do they get away without adding ABS as at least an option.

All my future bikes will have ABS, It has saved me already (at least in my mind).

Senior Member DCT or Manual
    Bike: 2011 Victory XR / 2012 NC700X DCT (#79)
    I had this same debate, but finally decided that if I am getting this bike I am definitely getting the DCT. The reviews are so positive, I really want to give this kind of transmission a try. The ABS is a natural bonus.

Senior Member DCT or Manual Chris's Avatar
    Bike: VFR1200X (Crosstourer)
    The DCT is very good. If you had your mind set on that then for the sake of a couple of months to June I'd wait. I find it still takes a bit of getting used to to be able to ride it smoothly (at slow speeds you have to remember to be gentle with the throttle as you can't balance an over heavy right hand with a bit of clutch slip).

I don't really find the early up changes through the gears in D are that bad (many people comment on it). If I'm accelerating fast then it holds onto lower gears anyway and if I'm dawdling it doesn't affect progress, plus I can always flick it into S mode. I only really use the manual paddles for downshifting to get more engine braking when coming down the hill.

But "You pays your money and you makes your choice". It's your decision

Senior Member DCT or Manual
    Bike: 2012 nc700x
    For me it was about what feels right. I would have gone with the manual at the same money as the DCT. That's me I don't like automatics (last vehicle I owned that was an auto was in 86)
    2014 Honda GROM
    2013 Honda CBR600RR
    2013 Honda CRF250L
    2012 Honda NC700X

states visited on a bike

states visited on the NC

Senior Member DCT or Manual bamamate's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X manual
    I went manual because I like to shift, it is less complex, and usually cheaper to repair and maintain. I buy manual cars when I can get them. On the other hand if the DCT is what you really want then I’d wait the 2 months for the DCT.

Previous: Kawasaki MT1A 75 (small fat tires, auto clutch), CB400 (Hawk), and after a 20+ year hiatus a NC700X