Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to write a NC700X review, without even riding it. (pg 19)

Senior Member How to write a NC700X review, without even riding it. (pg 19) happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans

Thumbs up How to write a NC700X review, without even riding it. (pg 19)

~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Senior Member How to write a NC700X review, without even riding it. (pg 19) happy's Avatar
    ~Happy Joe

Bike: NC700x (June 2012)
    It is a great review of the guys likes and dislikes. There really isn't that much talk about the bike itself because he gets off subject at least 2-3 times. I think it would be good to actually read a review from someone who rode it and didn't like it. This would help those of us who haven't bought it yet, understand both the pros and cons, because everything has at least one con! However, this review isn't it!

Thanks for sharing, was a good laugh!

On the current issue, there were some peeved readers who wrote in:

https://www.theridersdigest.co.uk/mag_pdf/TRD166.pdf

Chief editor effectively just said something like "it is not me" and freedom of speech (journalists' rights) etc...
    Humbug!
    ~Happy Joe

Senior Member How to write a NC700X review, without even riding it. (pg 19) Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Strange how some people also post on forums criticising bikes that they have only ridden for a couple of very short trips
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

Ya, luckily those people are not working on Motorcycle Reviews or Journals.....luckily.
    Those mad people who DARE criticise without spending more than 1000miles on a moto....scandalous!

Was he really criticising or just pointing out some of his initial observations / feelings?
    Last edited by happy; 3rd June 2012 at 04:17.
    ~Happy Joe

Bike: Triumph Bonneville T100

Talking Perfectly valid....

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
    Strange how some people also post on forums criticising bikes that they have only ridden for a couple of very short trips
    A first impression can be perfectly valid. I rode the Honda NC700x for five minutes before I picked up the missus and rode it for 10 more minutes before deciding we'll get one of these as a second bike as soon as she gets her license, and I dare say I got a very valid impression.

First thing that struck me was the rpm limiter. Literally. It struck me. But when you adjust your riding stile to deal with the 6000 rpm limit and become conscious of it, you start appreciating the torque you have at your disposal for such a small and lightweight bike. The bike feels lightweight because of the center of gravity being so low, which leads us to the second thing that struck me.

At a variety of speeds, and with the missus on the back, I had an inclination to really throw this bike around in corners. From a steering perspective it feels perfectly playful. Normally, I don't tend to get that comfortable that quickly with a bike, and that's a compliment if anything. I dare say that if you put studded tires and a carter protection plate, you can take this thing off the beaten path.

Which brings us to the journalist of Rider's digest. The magazine is asking for sponsors because it may be their last issue, and I don't see that as a loss. The article in question provides no information on the bike reviewed whatsoever. The man just meanders from his former bikes to his navigation system to his feelings about two wheeled devices and never even touches the bike he's reviewing because it's not his cup of tea.

You'll have to excuse the language here, but that guy is a complete and utter knobhead. That's not journalism, sorry. There is such a thing as free speech, but if I were an editor, and I'd send someone to do a particular job and they'd come back not having done it because it didn't seem like their cup of tea, they'd be fired faster than they could write porridge.

Welcome to the forum, chrisje.
    ~Happy Joe

Senior Member How to write a NC700X review, without even riding it. (pg 19) Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    welcome Chrisje. I agree that you can fall in love with a bike on your first ride. However to criticise a bike completely after a short ride is not really fair. As an example when I bought my first airhead BMW boxer twin way back in the 70s I thought I had made a big mistake by the time I had ridden it home from the dealers. If this had been a test ride I would never had bought one. Luckily I persevered with it and soon discovered all it's plus points which led me to spend many happy years riding these bikes. It is a bit like when you meet a new potential boy/girl friend in that sometimes it is love at first sight but on the other hand many enduring relationships are formed by people who don't particualy like each other first but grow to love each other when they discover more about each other
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

That's right Chrisje, the reviewer did not even ride the bike, not even a short trip. How can he qualify as a reviewer? By looking at the bike?I rode the bigger brother of the NC, the 800Crossrunner. Although it is a higher spec'd bike, got more PS, better equipped etc, courses for horses, I did not quite like it (but then it was FIRST IMPRESSIONS). On the way back to return the bike, I found the powerband, and used it. Again, it did not wow me, so sadly I did not like it. A short ride is not a fair judgement on any bike, and after buying one, one can be "convinced" (buyer self-praise) for becoming to love it. Of course we are all humans and we will not bash our own foot saying we were wrong to buy any bike. However, all bikes are good bikes. We just need to find what suits us, and what fits us. I am almost sure, in a couple more years, I will be upgrading to another bigger tourer bike, but will likely keep the NC700X for a commuter purpose. Have a nice time finding yours. Cheers!
    ~Happy Joe