Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with inserting key into ignition lock

Bike: Honda NC700X

Problem with inserting key into ignition lock

I have a really hard time inserting the key into the ignition of my 700x. I have to fumble and wiggle to get the key in. Not sure if this is normal or if anyone else is having these issues but its driving me crazy. Sometimes I'm sitting on my bike for a while until I get it started up.

Any thoughts?

Senior Member Problem with inserting key into ignition lock frozenpoet's Avatar
    Bike: cbr600, NC700X
    It's the problem the lock itself, or the little protector thing that is supposed to slide out of the way?
    I get 63 MPG, what do you get? Speeding tickets?
    I pack to camp but stay in a hotel because I have no idea what I'm doing...

facebook.com/JintheVAUSA
    instagram.com/J_in_the_va

on two wheels

Quote Originally Posted by frozenpoet View Post
    It's the problem the lock itself, or the little protector thing that is supposed to slide out of the way?
    Hmmm I actually don't know. It's seems to be hard to get the tip in (no pun intended!!!) once that's in the key goes in much easier.

Bike: NC700XC
    I have been experiencing the same thing on occassion. Seems the little protecter piece is able to rotate and not line up with the keyway. Don't know if there is anything Honda can/will do about that or not.

Bike: NC700X DCT
    I have this issue a lot of the time myself so it is not just you. It has not been a big enough issue for me to pursue but I might mention it to the dealer the next time I am there.

Bike: NC700X
    There are similar problems reported in NC700 forums in France, very weak and bent keys, and at the moment, some people with the lock blocked by cold or ice comming from humidity and strugling to start.

I bought a kind of key spray, used it on my car, home key, and NC.

But noticing that the Honda key and lock are... well, mmh, cheap, poor ? I try to be very carefull.

B.R.

Glad I'm not alone. I find this highly annoying, especially in the dark when it can take me up to a minute to get my key going. So embarrassing when people watch you fumble with your keys to get your motorcycle started. Do you think this issue affects only certain bikes or the entire 700x line?

glenbo
    Mine has only 70 miles and I've noticed that it's notchy, too, so it might well be all of them. Realistically, it's an inexpensive bike. Honda had to cut costs to get it down that cheap to buy.

Bike: NC700 S, VFR 800 Vtec
    hay guys i cut keys for a living and i can tell you i had the very same problem my key was very difficult to get it the lock and when it was in, the barrel would not spring up to release the steering lock and getting it out was a nightmare nearly snapped it a few times. but this is what I found. The tip was difficult to get in because its all about the angel at witch you use if its of by a few mm makes it so hard to get in so just try left to right motion. I found the reason the key was difficult to get in and the spring would not release was that Honda or the garage/dealer used a liquid lubricant now this dose work for a short time but when using a new key it beds in shedding very fine peace's of mettle this mixes with the oil/wd40 and jam's up your lock so all i did was to use a small amount of wd40 to clean the barrel then i dried it using a standard air canister the type you use for cleaning a pc or keyboard then use a dry lubricant now i got mine at work its called graphite powder its also available at amazon or eBay but most lock places will sell it pop a bit of that in the lock every couple of weeks or when needed that will sort you out. hope that helped.

Supporting Vendor

Bike: NC700X nc700xd

key locks

Quote Originally Posted by shoemonkey View Post
    hay guys i cut keys for a living and i can tell you i had the very same problem my key was very difficult to get it the lock and when it was in, the barrel would not spring up to release the steering lock and getting it out was a nightmare nearly snapped it a few times. but this is what I found. The tip was difficult to get in because its all about the angel at witch you use if its of by a few mm makes it so hard to get in so just try left to right motion. I found the reason the key was difficult to get in and the spring would not release was that Honda or the garage/dealer used a liquid lubricant now this dose work for a short time but when using a new key it beds in shedding very fine peace's of mettle this mixes with the oil/wd40 and jam's up your lock so all i did was to use a small amount of wd40 to clean the barrel then i dried it using a standard air canister the type you use for cleaning a pc or keyboard then use a dry lubricant now i got mine at work its called graphite powder its also available at amazon or eBay but most lock places will sell it pop a bit of that in the lock every couple of weeks or when needed that will sort you out. hope that helped.
    this is really good info for all. dale