Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luggage Capacity

Bike: NC700X

Luggage Capacity

My calculations could be flawed but I calculate 22L Frunk, 2 X 29L Saddle Bags, and a 45L Top Case. This gives a total of 125L. The old Goldwing had 150L of luggage space and the new one has 110L. Does our NC have more luggage capacity than a Goldwing?

Super Moderator Luggage Capacity 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by BrNaCa View Post
    My calculations could be flawed but I calculate 22L Frunk, 2 X 29L Saddle Bags, and a 45L Top Case. This gives a total of 125L. The old Goldwing had 150L of luggage space and the new one has 110L. Does our NC have more luggage capacity than a Goldwing?
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the NC could be optioned to carried more luggage than the GL1800. The new ‘Wing trunk is tiny because it slopes down toward the rear. and if you get the Airbag model, I don’t think there is even little cubby up front for a phone and wallet. But I read that Honda says that their research accurately depicts how the new generation ‘Wing owners would use the flagship touring motorcycle: take a change of clothes and a hair dryer for an overnight weekend hotel stay. That’s an exaggeration, but it illustrates the kind of excuse they use to justify shrinking the luggage.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Luggage Capacity
    Luggage Capacity
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    And it opened up a new product line - forgive me if I don’t recall the manufacturer. Saddle Bag “extensions” for the new GW. Color matched and adding about 2 inches to the width of each of the side cases. Crazy, huh.

Oh, and an additional 400 plus non-luggage pounds. Standard on the wing

I think the OE side cases for the NC are 26L.
    Last edited by Red Rider; 1st September 2019 at 11:04.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Senior Member Luggage Capacity SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    What really matters is the weight limits on both. Unless you are carrying cotton candy in all those cases.

The limits on the frunk and top case are ridiculously low.

Leading me to wonder- since the rear seat is capable of holding a lot of weight, is there a top case that can attach to the rear pegs or frame to hold more than the few pounds most cases are limited to?
    Is strapping a heavy bag to the rear seat the only solution?

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I think the limits are a combination of the mounting points and the plastics most cases are made out of (along with the locks and hinges). Someone might figure out how something like the SW Motech Aluminum rear rack could be tied to frame points, but then the weak link would be the top case itself. I assume metal boxes like the Touratechs and Outbacks probably have higher weight capacity.

I guess the makers assume youíre mainly packing clothes in the saddlebags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    What really matters is the weight limits on both. Unless you are carrying cotton candy in all those cases.

The limits on the frunk and top case are ridiculously low.

Leading me to wonder- since the rear seat is capable of holding a lot of weight, is there a top case that can attach to the rear pegs or frame to hold more than the few pounds most cases are limited to?
    Is strapping a heavy bag to the rear seat the only solution?
    Rules (weight limits) are just suggestions and are meant to be broken.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Supporting Vendor Luggage Capacity
    Luggage Capacity
    Bike: tracer 900
    the frame is chunky and I'd like to bet that'll carry more weight than stated.
    imo Honda and others deliberately state lower weight to cover their a r s's.
    just use common sense regarding how much you want to carry.
    don't carry more than you need.
    for instance going away for 14 days?
    you don't need 14 T shirts and underwear,socks,jeans etc.
    do you really need a full bottle of shampoo the list goes on.
    just keep it light enough so it does not affect handling when riding.
    If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
    working with the mentally retarded I would
    have of been an MP.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    That said, i'm going to be parting with my factory Honda luggage and mounts and stepping up to more capacity myself. I've chosen to go with the Fat Girl(sorry if that offends you) large boxes by TUSK. I can just see it now.. once installed.."do these large Tusk boxes make my rear look fat!!??

Seriously though, There just isn't enough room in those small factory boxes for touring, let alone for my Alaska trip next summer so off they go and very soon they will be up for sale! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Sometimes more isn't better; The first season I toured on the NC I used 159 litres at 92 pounds (Givi V35's & dry bag). The bike was great, but I hated doing low speed maneuvers. Next season I dropped to 119 liters & 82 pounds (smaller dry bag). I was so much happier after reducing the load...
    Last edited by HarveyM; 5th September 2019 at 15:29.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    That said, i'm going to be parting with my factory Honda luggage and mounts and stepping up to more capacity myself. I've chosen to go with the Fat Girl(sorry if that offends you) large boxes by TUSK. I can just see it now.. once installed.."do these large Tusk boxes make my rear look fat!!??

Seriously though, There just isn't enough room in those small factory boxes for touring, let alone for my Alaska trip next summer so off they go and very soon they will be up for sale! :{)
    My H&B boxes are 37 liter size, which is the same size as the Tusk boxes you are considering. I found the 37L boxes just about perfect in size. While I love the durability of my H&B boxes, the lid of the Tusk boxes will allow you easier removal of internal bags (if you opt to buy them). I think the Tusk boxes are pretty darn nice. The owner of the Honda dealer we bought my wife's NCx at uses them on his KTM. You will be happy with the added storage volume over the small Honda factory boxes.

That said, don't fill the boxes with heavy things, or throw the balance off of your bike, but you already know that.

Going around the Great Lakes I had 116 liters of storage capacity in hard cases (37L left side, 37L right side, 42L top case) + 45 in a dry bag. Total = 158L of storage. The dry bag was full but the hard cases were only about 80% filled. Not counting the weight of the H&B cases, I probably carried about 50# total in the cases/dry bag.
    Last edited by melensdad; 5th September 2019 at 16:20.