Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touring w/ Soft Bags

Bike: '12 NC700X
    Thanks for the advice guys! Covering the bike is a good suggestion which I hadn't thought of. Ill take a look at some Givi top cases as well. The Kreiga bags I'm interested in strap to each other and I can also strap them to my duffel for added anchor points. Would mount them like saddlebags. I may pick up some small 10 liter bags and strap them to the engine guards as well.

Senior Member Touring w/ Soft Bags dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I've lost two magnetic soft tank bags but both times were my fault. I left a gas station stop with the bags lying on the seat behind me. Other than that I've never had any trouble with theft or vandalism on many trips both close and far from home. Some common sense is involved like choice of location and covering up but mostly I've relied on the general goodness of people. It works for me, YMMV.

If being able to go now or go out further and longer was based on the cost of soft bags vs hard luggage I advise to go now with what you have or can afford now, and can afford to lose.

This will make sense to some and might offend others................. Do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you?
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: NC700X
    I agree with dduelin............
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Touring w/ Soft Bags
    Touring w/ Soft Bags
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post

This will make sense to some and might offend others................. Do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you?

An interesting thought.. never considered it quite that way. And yes, it makes perfect sense.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    An interesting thought.. never considered it quite that way. And yes, it makes perfect sense.
    Interesting question. I try not to get too attached to my possessions. But is the question actually all that relevant to some riders, especially those with limited funds or in far flung locations away from most civilization?

While on a trip, away from home, losing your stuff can be a huge issue. Depending upon your personal finances, your ability to absorb the financial loss and what gets taken off your bike, it could be a trip ender. It could be a minor inconvenience and a minor cost. Even if the cost of the items is small, it could be a major PITA to replace the goods if you are in a remote locale.

So I will stay away from the philosophy and just error on the side of practical application of reasonable protection and personal vigilance.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    The only vandalism I have ever had was while parked out in Yellowstone to watch old faithful blow. They have a flock of crows out there that will unzip your tank bag and cause all sorts of havoc. I thought I had escaped until that night when I unzipped my bag. They had torn up my map and the ziploc bag I had my spare batteries in then zippedmy bag closed! Others had their stuff strewn around the parking lot... they also crapped on our bikes and helmets. You have now been warned. Hard bags make me feel better but nothing has ever been messed with on my bike or my kids bikes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1wiseguy2; 18th August 2019 at 18:17.

Senior Member Touring w/ Soft Bags
    Touring w/ Soft Bags
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Interesting question. I try not to get too attached to my possessions. But is the question actually all that relevant to some riders, especially those with limited funds or in far flung locations away from most civilization?

While on a trip, away from home, losing your stuff can be a huge issue. Depending upon your personal finances, your ability to absorb the financial loss and what gets taken off your bike, it could be a trip ender. It could be a minor inconvenience and a minor cost. Even if the cost of the items is small, it could be a major PITA to replace the goods if you are in a remote locale.

So I will stay away from the philosophy and just error on the side of practical application of reasonable protection and personal vigilance.
    I take it to mean setting priorities. Not letting the ďfearĒ of losing stufff lock you into a mindset of never taking risks or being overly cautious to the point of missing some rewarding experiences. Also securing your goods as best you can - within reason - and taking into consideration the various ďlevelsĒ of security while still accepting the fact that determined thieves can take whatever they want. And yes, everyone will approach the situation differently and some things would be far more difficult to replace than others and very well might be trip killers if they were lost. I wouldnít overthink it. Itíll just make your head spin.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..