Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talladega GP trackday on the NC!

Senior Member Talladega GP trackday on the NC!
    Talladega GP trackday on the NC!
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    [QUOTE=TacomaJD;214685]Sure is warm sittin here in these leathers. Lol

Someone crashed and got injured in Advance Group, so we haven't went on track yet, but are up next.

^^^ (that was me..............in my dreams )

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Sweet baby Jeezus it's hot. I am going to ride 1 more session and load up and head home. Looking forward to an ac'd ride home in the truck. Lol

There's a couple guys in novice that have ridden other tracks but first time here, and they are faster than me, also helps they have bigger engines. I've only been passed by 3 or 4 ppl. Been stupid fun! The NC has definitely exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    man those tires look like they held up well, got some good lookin' wear on'em...sticky! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    man those tires look like they held up well, got some good lookin' wear on'em...sticky! :{)
    They looked a lot better by the end of the day as I got faster Judging by the wear on the front of the tread grooves, that suggests rear suspension is not right. Front tire wore uniformly, so as far as I can tell, the front forks are actually not as bad as I figured them to be. I probably won't tweak them any, but eventually a new rear shock is in order. I was really surprised by the wear, there's only one right hand turn on that track so it's hell on the left side. I would be doing good to get one more track day out of that side of it. Will probably flip it before the next track day to keep wear even.

I got hit with some heat exhaustion after the last session and loading all my stuff back up. Got dizzy, headache, etc. 4 hrs of sleep didn't help either. That heat is intense wearing all that gear. Riding hard takes a lot out of you too. Definitely one of the most physically demanding things I've done since losing my leg.

Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post

I got hit with some heat exhaustion after the last session and loading all my stuff back up. Got dizzy, headache, etc. 4 hrs of sleep didn't help either. That heat is intense wearing all that gear. Riding hard takes a lot out of you too. Definitely one of the most physically demanding things I've done since losing my leg.

I have only done one cone track day. The leg work was so intensive that my muscles were still sore days afterwards. Sounds like you had a great time. Now that you have had a taste on the NC and some conditioning...imagine the next one

Talladega GP trackday on the NC!
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Years ago I did one of those NASCAR Driving School Experiences (highly recommend it, by the way!) and came away with a whole new appreciation for how much WORK it is mentally and physically to go around those tracks on the edge of the envelope time after time. And that’s on FOUR wheels. Doing it on two puts one in rare company. Too old to give that a try today - but my hat’s off to those that have done it. And can still do it..!
    Last edited by Red Rider; 11th August 2019 at 19:57.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Kudos to you Tacoman, I am genuinely impressed sir! How did the DCT function for you, i'm presuming you used the daylights out of the manual over-ride in an attempt to force the downshifts...? I do not know that anyone else has ever done what you did with your DCT today... heh heh! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Kudos to you Tacoman, I am genuinely impressed sir! How did the DCT function for you, i'm presuming you used the daylights out of the manual over-ride in an attempt to force the downshifts...? I do not know that anyone else has ever done what you did with your DCT today... heh heh! :{)
    Used manual mode and controlled upshifts/downshifts myself the whole time. I do the same when riding twisties on the road too. The DCT in Sport Mode works pretty good, but it would be impossible for it to be good enough to always predict when to gear down or not gear up.

You'll see when I get the vids uploaded, ghe shorter straights I was banging off rev limiter in 3rd right before reaching the corner, longer straights had me banging off it in 4th. I learned to watch my rpm's so that I could stay in the gas at around 6k rpms instead of winding out to the rev limiter, as it causes moderate loss of power when the limiter kicks in. It took a little while to get used to the gears and the parameters the DCT has in place regarding downshifts. By the end of the day I had a plan of attack for each straight and corner and my pace smoothed out a lot.

Also, it was so darn hard to get around slow riders in the straights, even a couple on R3's! The R3's were literally pulling on me a little in the straights. Only way I could pass was out brake them into a turn. I have watched about half the footage I got and about half of each vid consists of running a snail's pace behind slow riders trying find a safe point to overtake. They slow as ever in the corners, but wide open in between them lol. You will be able to see how quickly guys on the 600's and 1000's go by me in the straights too Lol. Maybe I can upload them in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by potter0o View Post
    I have only done one cone track day. The leg work was so intensive that my muscles were still sore days afterwards. Sounds like you had a great time. Now that you have had a taste on the NC and some conditioning...imagine the next one

I'll be honest, I'm glad the next one is a month out. So much work and prep goes into it, loading unloading loading and unloading again. And the physical drain. Ready to ride my big comfy bagger back and forth to work a couple times this week now, and leave the NC parked. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post

Years ago I did one of those NASCAR Driving School Experiences (highly recommend it, by the way!) and came away with a whole new appreciation for how much WORK it is mentally and physically to go around those tracks on the edge of the envelope time after time. And thatís on FOUR wheels. Doing it on two puts one in rare company. Too old to give that a try today - but my hatís off to those that have done it. And can still do it..!
    I never have been much on driving fast in cars, too easy to lose control and can't correct. I know that doesn't apply across the board, I just feel more comfortable on motorcycles. The ZX10R I had would top out at 189mph on new tire amd 191 on semi worn out tire (less circumference - same speed), and I did that numerous times back in the day. To compare, I had a 2002 Z06 Corvette for a few months (seriously did not need one of those lol), and fastest I got it up to was 140mph. And it felt way more crazy than 190 on a bike, to me....and I know those Vettes can cruise at 140 like it's nothing.

It would be fun to do tho. Barber Motorsports Park (stupid nice track close to me), has the Porsche Driving School I've always thought would be cool to do. However the cost to interest ratio just isn't there for me.

The mental side of it all is crazy though. If you aren't on the gas you are on the brakes, and monitoring EVERYTHING. Definitely mentally taxing.

Last edited by TacomaJD; 11th August 2019 at 21:24.

129 Photos shared one of their pics of me on their Facebook page, so I got to keep that one for free! Lol debating on buying the others. $75 for a day's worth of pictures is a lot, but it was sort of a special day for me. In the meantime I just screenshotted a few.....ha!