Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DCT is NOT automatic transmission...

Senior Member DCT is NOT automatic transmission... GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    So is there a difference between DCT in “M” mode and, say, the BMW Gear Shift Assist Pro (I know there is a big difference mechanically and electrically)? Both allow “clutchless shifting” up and down by the rider.

My key point in all of this (and the length of the responses I think bears this out) is that to further the adoption of DCT technology - which I think would attract younger, nontraditional riders - they need to get away from “manual or automatic” and speak to clutchless shifting with an option to let the bike shift if the rider chooses.

I’d just like to have a lot of bikes to choose from with this technology, because right now it’s Honda (CB, NC, VFR, AT, or GW) or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member DCT is NOT automatic transmission... Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Isn't it nearly the same thing in a torque converter/planetary gear automobile transmission? If you put the “PRNDL” in “2”, it will shift up to second and hold 2nd until you hit the rev limiter, but when slowing I believe it will shift back to first. Semi automatic?
    I don't know because I always had manual transmission cars. REAL manual.
    But, I believe you.

Hm... I'm gonna test it on my wife's car. when she's not around, of course - she would kill me see me messing up with her Mustang!
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Super Moderator DCT is NOT automatic transmission... 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    My key point in all of this (and the length of the responses I think bears this out) is that to further the adoption of DCT technology - which I think would attract younger, nontraditional riders - they need to get away from “manual or automatic” and speak to clutchless shifting with an option to let the bike shift if the rider chooses.

I’d just like to have a lot of bikes to choose from with this technology, because right now it’s Honda (CB, NC, VFR, AT, or GW) or nothing.
    The other motorcycle manufacturers may be taking a wait and see posture to see if automatic transmissions boost Honda’s sales in those categories. If so, I’d expect them to not necessarily use DCT, but to develop their own variety of friendly transmissions in hopes to better Honda, not just equal them, or to appeal to a slightly different audience. If auto transmissions of various sorts do catch on, many years from now the less favorable designs will fall by the wayside and one or two will stand out. Who knows, it might be the DCT.

I think where Honda needs to catch up is in putting automatic transmissions on entry level bikes in the 250-500cc range. (A Honda factory rep asked me my opinion on that during a survey done at WingDing). Right now the ticket to DCT requires 750cc+ motorcycle. It’s possible that DCT puts the cost of the small bikes on the edge of being non competitive in pricing.

In parallel with this you have the emerging electric motorcycle field, where most often you have no clutch or selectable transmission gears at all. Climb on; twist throttle. The new rider doesn’t even need to fiddle with an engine or transmission.
    Last edited by 670cc; 13th August 2019 at 10:52.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member DCT is NOT automatic transmission... GgarryP's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X
    Automatical VS Manual is OLD school categories that don't really capture the variety of transmission designs available today. If you insist, yes, the DCT is an automatic. But it's vastly different from the traditional automatic and it is not helpful or informative to simply call it an automatic.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Garry

Two wheels and keels

Bike: NC700S, Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    So is there a difference between DCT in “M” mode and, say, the BMW Gear Shift Assist Pro (I know there is a big difference mechanically and electrically)? Both allow “clutchless shifting” up and down by the rider.
    I bleieve Gear Shift Assist Pro Magic Fairy Dust works the same as most other aftermarket quick shifters where it cuts fuel flow briefly when the gear selector is pushed up or down. You can do the same thing and clutchlessly shift a bike with traditional manual transmission by applying pressure to the shift pedal and blipping the throttle to unload the transmission, the Magic Fairy Dust systems just to the unloading for you. Gear selection is still a manual process and the machine is not capable of selecting a gear for you.

Senior Member DCT is NOT automatic transmission...
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Isn't it the same thing in a torque converter/planetary gear automobile transmission? If you put the “PRNDL” in “1”, it will hold 1st until it hits the rev limiter. If you then select “2” it will shift up to second and hold 2nd until you hit the rev limiter, but when slowing I believe it will shift back to first. Would that be called a semi automatic?
    in the 99 Subaru Outback I had, 1 was 1, 2 was 2, 3 was 1,2,3, D was 1,2,3,4.

In comparison, I believe my truck (73 Chevy C20) 1 is 1, 2 is 1,2, 3 is 1,2,3. I think my Camry allows use of 1 when in 2 as well.

Not sure why Subaru is different.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 2013 XD
    I have an auto loader which many call an automatic but not in the ignoramus view. That view holds that it is fully automatic. But it is not.
    I have a XD which I tell people is an automatic at first and if they want to hear more I explain more. I don't want to shoot holes in what you all have said partly because I did not bother to read it all. It was repetitive. Some (my brother - an older fart than I am) just will not give up old style manuals. Even his Toyota. Sheesh!
    Moving on.DCT is NOT automatic transmission...-mosey-jpg

DCT is NOT automatic transmission...-mosey-jpg .gif ain't giffin'

DCT is NOT automatic transmission...-gunner-jpg
    Last edited by Therapy; Yesterday at 17:15. Reason: .gif ain't giffin"