Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Touring

Bike: '12 NC700X

Long Distance Touring

I love my NC for commuting as well as day trips over the weekend but now I'm itching for some long distance, week-long touring. I'm faced with the question of whether to invest in the gear which will make such touring possible / more enjoyable (i.e. bags, seat, shield, etc.) or invest in a purpose built machine with more power and shaft drive while keeping my friendly commuter. Obviously one choice costs more than the other but even though you can skin an apple with a spoon, it doesn't mean its the most suitable tool for the job. I blame my Beemer friends this head fog

What is your touring experience / advice?

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing. 2015 Airbag Goldwing, some kid
    All depends on your style of touring. I tour on my CBR 1100XX, my ST1300 and my Goldwing.
    Do you want to stop and see a lot of things. Do you like to stop and look at shops, roadside historical sites, etc, etc. If so then get a comfortable seat, put some removable bags on it and an automatic chain oiler and go. It is perfectly suited for touring near and far. Seen some video of people going up through Alaska. Do you want to tour the back roads and gravel roads or fire roads out west? This is a very good bike for that.
    Do you want to tour and just go and go? Do you have a passenger to take with you? Do you want to pound the miles out on paved roads? Shaft drive is nice for that. Bigger heavier bikes are too.
    I would just start going a little further afield around your place and see for yourself. Many a person loads them up and goes and sees the world on it. It's really personal preference.
    I have 5 motorcycles and speak from experience on the following!!! Having two means twice the maintenance, twice the insurance, twice the registration fees, twice the farkles to buy...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    No problem touring with our NCx’s.

Currently a couple thousand miles into a 4000+ mile trip.

Useful mods make the NC a capable tourer. Sure a big HD will be more comfortable if you want a cushy seat. A BMW or KTM adeventure bike will be more capable overland.

Ride your ride. It’s all your choice.

Super Moderator Long Distance Touring 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    The main deterrent for me riding the NC long distance is comfort, meaning not being in pain after a couple thousand miles. So a seat that works for me is important, along with some weather protection, for example, good windshield.

The NC can be outfitted with ample luggage capacity, and the machine will do the miles reliably.

Your decision to buy a touring bike or outfit your NC for touring depends on your desire, budget, storage space, etc.

I have bikes for various purposes: scooter, dirt bike, dual sport, mid size solo (NC), long distance & two up touring (GL). Of the 4 street legal bikes, the NC is closest to being the jack of all trades, although if I was limited to one bike, it would be the Goldwing.
    Last edited by 670cc; 1st August 2019 at 22:08.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey Sas, welcome to the Ride!

I just purchased my NC700x in Feb of last year and i have about 14k on it so far. I have made many 1 day trips of 450-500 miles as well as 4 day trips covering 1200-1400 miles and one 9 day trip where i covered 7 states and 2600 miles! I am not a little guy at 6'6" and 230lbs, so when fully packed and on the interstate i ask a lot out of my NC and i do not baby it on any of the mountain passes i travel. (maybe that is why my DanMoto stainless pipe is purple most of the way back haha)!

As has been stated so eloquently before by others, the NC is a very capable bike and will do a lot that you ask of it. It is not a GW on the interstate, and it is not 1200cc KTM Adventure bike. However, IMHO, i believe and have done many miles on my NC in both of those arenas. I enjoy everything about the NC and it's capabilities, for me it is the perfect bike and i am so very happy with it.

Personally, i like touring with it. One day trips, 4 days trips, my 9 day trip etc and every day i get the chance to hop on that girl and RIDE somewhere..ok, mostly for PIE! there i said it! :{P

For me. I watched Craig's list(ok still do) and was not afraid to ride or drive to further locations and buy gear for it so i could tour/camp on it. You'll need to outfit it to fit your needs and your style. I recently returned from a 4 day trip up to BC & Alb Canada. I just returned from another 4 day trip to Glacier National park(even saw a grizzly).

In conclusion Sas... Don't be afraid to gear up your NC and enjoy the ride man!! It is an amazing machine!! :{)

This is the most "Loaded" i have ever had my NC. Yah, i had half of my dresser in those bags haha! On that trip, i covered 7 states in 9 days and travelled 2600 miles, i climbed/dropped elevations from 2200ft to 11000ft down to 700ft and back up to 2200ft. It was an amazing trip that i cant wait to do again! :{)
    Long Distance Touring-salmon-river-sign-riggins-id-jpg
    Last edited by Rapturee; 1st August 2019 at 22:36.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: NC700XA-C
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    This is the most "Loaded" i have ever had my NC. Yah, i had half of my dresser in those bags haha! On that trip, i covered 7 states in 9 days and travelled 2600 miles, i climbed/dropped elevations from 2200ft to 11000ft down to 700ft and back up to 2200ft. It was an amazing trip that i cant wait to do again! :{)
    Long Distance Touring-salmon-river-sign-riggins-id-jpg
    Eeek, did your bike bottom out a lot on the bumps with that much weight ... or has suspension been one of your upgrades?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Commuter Extraordinaire Long Distance Touring
    Long Distance Touring
    Bike: NC700X
    This is how I look at the NC700X for long rides. We go to Orlando every summer for an annual trip to Disney. Most of the time we rent a Town & Country for 6 people but last year they did not have a van and I got a 2018 Ford Expedition. Both make the trip easily but that Expedition was a heck of a lot more comfortable and better suited for the trip. I have had this bike for over 6 years and still really like it but in my opinion it is best used as a commuter. Sure, you can do anything with it but it excels in the moderate length commuting type rides. If you wanna spend a bunch of money to make it work, that is always fun too. After about 5 hours I am done but that is my limited experience.

Senior Member Long Distance Touring
    Bike: '14 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    All depends on your style of touring.
    I would just start going a little further afield around your place and see for yourself. Many a person loads them up and goes and sees the world on it. It's really personal preference.
    I have 5 motorcycles and speak from experience on the following!!! Having two means twice the maintenance, twice the insurance, twice the registration fees, twice the farkles to buy...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    This is the best advice so far.

I suggest not spending money on anything you don't know you need yet. It's easy to get carried away buying seats and lights and bags and bars and screens and whatever. The list will never truly end. Take it on some trips and the bike will tell you what it needs. You may not need anything other than a dry bag strapped to the seat behind you
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    This is the best advice so far.

I suggest not spending money on anything you don't know you need yet. It's easy to get carried away buying seats and lights and bags and bars and screens and whatever. The list will never truly end. Take it on some trips and the bike will tell you what it needs. You may not need anything other than a dry bag strapped to the seat behind you

Good advice. Get a water proof duffle bag and take a couple of weekend or overnight trips. You'll eventually figure out what you need vrs. what you want. Remember, money spent on bikes and gear is money not spent on traveling. If money is not an issue, have two bikes.

For me, a good wind screen, saddle, center stand (makes oiling the chain much easier) credit card and a little cash. Everything else is convenient.

I took a 6500 mile trip a few years ago. On day 5, I stopped at a UPS store and sent home a big box of stuff.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    After 4 years with the NC on a good number of 3-7 day trips, I figured out that (1) saddle, screen, and handlebar position are the Holy Trinity of comfort (or not) over long distance - so get a saddle that works for you, a screen to block wind/rain and reduce buffeting, and handlebar risers if you need them; (2) I carry far too much in the way of tools - tire plugs and pump, some zip ties and gorilla tape, and a small set of tools is enough - Iím not gonna do major repairs on the side of the road, thatís what Good Sam is for; and (3) I always pack too many clothes - if itís a true bike trip I need 1/2 as many base layers and skivvies (I use quick dry that can be easily washed in a sink and dried overnight), and usually one pair of street pants and a couple T-shirtís will suffice.

I have the OEM panniers and could probably make do with just them, but I have a FirstGear Torrent 40L drybag that goes on the multi day trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk