Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Touring

Senior Member Long Distance Touring dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I think the NC makes a fine light tourer and have made many 3 to 8 day trips of up to 4500 miles. For me it's the expectations I place on the bike and the experience. I'm blessed to have owned or own other touring and sport touring bikes and I don't expect the NC to cover ground like my ST1300 did or cosset me like the Goldwing does but I still travel on it and have a great time doing so. When I bought an NC in 2012 I knew I'd make the 400-500 mile trek from my home to the mountains a few times a year on it so I installed the minimum luggage necessary to go on those weekend trips. I do 300-600 mile day rides so the very first thing was I got the windshield and seat sorted out - I rode the stock seat for 25,000 miles with just the Showkey mod. Then I put a rack on the back and between a used 46 liter top box, a dry bag on the back seat, and the frunk this was sufficient for a couple of years. Only later did I add side cases for longer trips but I made plenty weekend trips without them.

If you haven't much experience with bikes to compare the NC to, I think it needs to be said that the NC runs down the road with a comfortable, loping gait compared to higher-strung 650/750s. The low rpm engine does not tingle or buzz the bars, seat, and foot pegs. If you have had other midsize bikes you know twin and four cylinder engines in this class can make uncomfortable traveling partners at 65-85 mph. The NC is just a really nice bike to ride for long periods and can be made touring-class capable with a few modifications or additions and those costs are a fraction of a 100+ hp tourer or sport tourer.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Long Distance Touring
    Long Distance Touring
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    In some areas of the country, the smallish 3.9 gal fuel tank might be a problem.

I use a Cortech tailpack for multi-day trips and I've finally figured out how to keep the bag mostly in place when I open the passenger seat to refuel. I had to build purpose-specific hooks that use existing bolts for my Givi box racks. Now on my 2nd trip, I have some ideas on how to refine those hooks. :-)

Senior Member Long Distance Touring davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    I live east of the Mississipi, so finding gas anytime i need it is not a problem. I carry light (one shirt, pair of socks, pair of underwear for each day I am gone, plus 2 pair of jeans), and a few tools-mostly for chain adjustment..I have done 1000 miles in 17 hours and 3000 miles that week... i dont camp so when i leave for the weekend i dont worry about camping gear.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidc83; 5th August 2019 at 05:57.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: 18 NC750X, 16 KTM 1190 Adv, 17 KTM Super Duke, 15 KTM 690 Enduro
    NC is my commuter/daily driver.

But in my 20'ish year of riding motorcycles, I have owned everything from superbikes, to BMW GS Adventures, to Harley baggers and everything in between. Currently have mainly KTM's of varying types next to the NC. While a Goldwing, GS, Harley bagger types offers little better amenities than the NC....I would absolutely have zero hesitation outfitting the NC for a week long-plus road trip.

What the bigger and heavier bikes offers is little better weather protection and with the extra weight comes better stability in windy conditions. Also, the bigger bikes tend to track and maintain it's momentum better so it is little less taxing ride over a long period of time. To combat all of this, my suggestion is to get a better windscreen, hand guards, heated grips, waterproof luggage system and good quality riding gear (jacket and pants). Also may want to shorten the day-to-day milege to something very manageable.

I am not saying this just as a fan of the bike, but as a motorcyclist who has owned just about everything under the sun at one point or another.... the NC is truly one of the most versatile motorcycles on the market today, even venture to say, possibly in the top 5 ever.

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    I live east of the Mississipi, so finding gas anytime i need it is not a problem. I carry light (one shirt, pair of socks, pair of underwear for each day I am gone, plus 2 pair of geans), and a few tools-mostly for chain adjustment..I have done 1000 miles in 17 hours and 3000 miles that week... i dont camp so when i leave for the weekend i dont worry about camping gear.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    I mounted a Dales rack on my NC and then put a rotopax mount on that for fuel. Strapped the duffle on top. Never needed the extra fuel, but came close once, only because I wasn't paying attention.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: NC 750 X DCT
    7.800 km in 3 weeks. Any modifications on my NC. See: www.schotterfun.de

Greetings from Germany,

Thomas

Bike: 700x
    $15,000 buys you enough fuel to ride, as nuckaman said, one the 5 best bikes ever 900,000 miles. Not to mention arguably many more miles saved in maintenance. just sayin

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    IKR, literally check the chain, tire psi, fuel level and go for a RIDE Man!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    IKR, literally check the chain, tire psi, fuel level and go for a RIDE Man!! :{)
    Of the mods I did to my NC that I could probably not live without for long distance touring I would say there are 2 critical things (for me) that make the NC a viable mid-weight tourer:
    1) Comfortable Seat (Corbin)
    2) Touring Windshield (Madstad)

The bike is capable as it comes off the showroom floor. Luggage choices? Tie lawn & leaf trash bags to the side or add fancy cases, duffles, etc. Sure you can add bark busters (I did not) and chain oilers and a bunch of other stuff, but what do you need to make it? I guess that depends on you. I fancied mine up, but I tried to keep weight down and keep things functional. My touring modifications included a chain oiler, cell phone mount (for navigation), added front and rear lights, a Dale's rack to hold gear, and hard luggage. But I did NOT add crash bars, highway pegs, electrical modifications of any type, etc.

But beyond the seat & windshield it is very reasonable to say, Rapturee offers great advice when he says: check the chain, tires psi, fuel level and go for a ride!!!

Senior Member Long Distance Touring
    Bike: '14 DCT
    One thing to keep in mind, most comments involve the seat and windshield. Seats and windshields are highly personal. Many people are fine with the stock seat and screen. Only you can determine if they need to be changed and the only way to determine that is to ride. I'd advise against changing anything preemptively. The bike will tell you what you need
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."