Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On-board camera options?

Bike: 2013 NC700X

On-board camera options?

Planning to do a couple trackdays on the NC this fall and would like to film a couple sessions, maybe even do some filming on the road too.

I am camera illiterate, mainly in terms of what's available and staple features to look for. Obviously GoPro has the market share, are there other brands just as capable?

Necessities will be various mounting options, durable, hopefully some sort of video stabilization, and ease of transferring vid files to pc. Maybe wide angle? Just want a good field of view, but not to where the video looks fish eyed. Might mount camera on rear rack facing forward. Also would mount on side of bike in 1 or 2 different places.

I don't want to spend a lot on one, as I don't plan on doing enough filming to need the extra most bestest camera out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    K2? Forward and back view.
    INNOVV K2 WiFi 2 Channel Full HD Remote Lens Motorcycle Camera System
    GoPro. Easy mounting and plenty of copycats. Don't have to get the latest version so those would be reasonable priced.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I like gopros mounting options. I guess I just need to figure out which model to get. I saw one on ebay for $100 the other day, think it was a Hero 4, but I dont know where that particular model falls in the lineup or how old the design is. For instance, since that one, has a newer model came out that has this breakthrough technology that makes the other seem totally obsolete? I just dont want to buy one, then find later I should have paid a few more dollars for the next gen model that is 5x better.

Senior Member On-board camera options? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    I think gopro is up to Hero 7...for all your gopro forum needs: GoProFanatics.com - The Ultimate GoPro Forum!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    I think gopro is up to Hero 7...for all your gopro forum needs: GoProFanatics.com - The Ultimate GoPro Forum!
    I was hoping to take the easy way out and someone just say I have the Gopro ____ model and its great, only costs about $100, and here's a sample video captured by it....to save myself more time researching Lol. I've been staring at tire specs and reading reviews for weeks, looking through suits, boots and long glove options, I don't want to have to start from scratch researching gopros too, but looks like I might have to. Lol

Senior Member On-board camera options? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I went through the “go pro knockoff” analysis and finally gave up since I didn’t really need one and it was taking up waayyy too much time. I did learn a few criteria that may be useful in your quest

- can the unit be charging and filming while you ride? Given somewhat short battery life this was a key item for me.
    - what FPS and resolution
    - how easy is it to control (turn on/off, loop function, etc). Some of the knockoffs are complicated to operate.
    - how easy to download and/or view on phone and computer (this was already on your list)
    - what stabilization does it have (many of the knockoffs have poor or none).

The newest go pro has that amazing stabilization, but you pay dearly for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like gopro 5 would be the way to go with stabilization but still a bit pricier than what Im looking for. Hero 4 silver can be had brand new for around $100. That aint bad. Decent video too.

Bike: NC700X
    I have been using GoPro cameras for many years, and they are great... See “Adventures of Nana Chou” on YouTube about my NC7 adventures..

However, the new king of the adventure cameras is now here!

Insta360 one. Mine will be arriving on Friday!

Just hit the YouTube button to see....

YouTube
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 17th July 2019 at 18:33.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    That's cool

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE
    I just ordered this: AKASO EK7000 4K WiFi Sports Action Camera. $59.99 on Amazon. If it doesn't work out, no big loss. Got the 3 year warranty for 6 or 7 bucks. I could have gone with a few others too, I looked at dozens over several days. I wanted something that would run off the motorcycle battery but they required splicing into the wiring harness & I didn't want to do that. So it's batteries. half-hour to 3+ hours depending on who's reviewing it. Or the resolution setting. Anyway it arrives tomorrow. In a week or so I may post about it if I remember.