Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to reduce vibrations in the handlebars

Bike: 2012 NC700X

Trying to reduce vibrations in the handlebars

Any recommendations on filling the new bar to reduce vibrations?

I've heard of using silicone or rubber butyl caulking either with or without adding bb's or bird shot.

I was thinking of putting somewhere between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup of bb's (same as a BB gun uses) and then filling the bars with one of those types of caulking, and then adding the same amount of bb's to the other side of the bars before closing it up.

I'm using the stock bar end weights and bark busters at the same time already (had to slightly modify the bar end weights for that to work) I'm thinking if I decide to do this I'd start by installing the throttle and everything on the right side, lift the left side up so it's as straight up and down as possible put in exactly half of my premeasured bb's in, have a hose on the tip of the caulking so it easily reaches the other end of the bars (I know any empty pockets would be bad) and start filling the bars with the caulking, when it's close to full, add the second half of the bb's and then seal it all up.

So my question is, anyone try this, is it a good idea or a bad idea, did I miss a step or anything?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Dunno Rip, i like the factory bar ends and they seem to work very well for me. Anything with a twin is going to shake/rattle/vibrate, so anything you do to improve that should be a win/win! I used to have a few dampeners left over from some of my compound bows that i thought of trying.. just a thought. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

It's mostly the throttle side and it's not bad but I've gotten a numb hand enough to want to do something to try and improve the situation while it's easy, especially if I can for around $12

Senior Member Trying to reduce vibrations in the handlebars
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    I did some physiotherapy exercises that helped me a lot. Not sure if you have looked into that area before. I had a minor injury that wasn't really going away. Would get some tingling/numbness in the palm of my hand and some minor discomfort in certain ranges of motion.

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE
    I use Grip Puppies because I have big hands but they do seem to reduce vibrations some in the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by potter0o View Post
    I did some physiotherapy exercises that helped me a lot. Not sure if you have looked into that area before. I had a minor injury that wasn't really going away. Would get some tingling/numbness in the palm of my hand and some minor discomfort in certain ranges of motion.
    I haven't, but most discomfort can be overcome by increasing strength enough in one way or another so it makes sense.

I use to climb trees for a living (arborist) and use a chainsaw (lots of vibration at different frequencies even) and never had any issues, I rarely wore gloves also

I stopped doing that (full time at least) 13 years ago, my last job and my current job especially (been at my current job 7 years) are much less physically demanding.

I've gotten hurt or injured just as much but doing far less dangerous stuff and recovery seems to take much longer, I'm only 32 so not old enough to justify this in my mind but I guess getting soft can be hard on you lol

I've hopefully got a long way to go so getting in better shape is getting higher on the priority list, thanks for the tip and reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
    I use Grip Puppies because I have big hands but they do seem to reduce vibrations some in the bars.
    I've got heated grips otherwise I would definitely install some grip puppies

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Dunno Rip, i like the factory bar ends and they seem to work very well for me. Anything with a twin is going to shake/rattle/vibrate, so anything you do to improve that should be a win/win! I used to have a few dampeners left over from some of my compound bows that i thought of trying.. just a thought. :{)
    That's the idea, slight problem but if it can be easily improved, why not.

If you try the bow dampeners let us know how it works out.

P.s. About the V-Twin comment I heard the 750's got an additional balancing rod (or something like that) and are much smoother, I also heard part of the vibration on the NC700X was left in place on purpose to give it "character" I don't think anyone bought a Honda hoping it would shake like a Harley, but that's just my opinion

Bike: 2014 NC700XD
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    I've got heated grips otherwise I would definitely install some grip puppies
    I have heated grips and grip puppies. Heat might take a little longer to get to my hands, but thatís about it...

Senior Member Trying to reduce vibrations in the handlebars SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    What kind of gloves do you wear?
    I switched from regular racing type gloves to ones with more padding in them. The Cortech Vice 2.0's really made a difference.
    Though if you use heated grips this might not be the solution.