Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 4 season jacket and summer glove recommendations

Bike: 2012 NC700X

Looking for 4 season jacket and summer glove recommendations

So after my spill a couple months ago I'm in the market for replacement gear.

I've got a back up helmet so I'm good for the moment and I've got a good idea what helmet I plan on getting next anyway.

My summer gloves got scuffed up but are still useable and did their job, I'd probably order the same ones again except they've been discontinued

My 3 season jacket is also a bit scuffed up but usable for the rest of summer/fall

I'm going to try a bit harder to avoid riding in the rain from now on for both safety and comfort reasons, so water proof isn't high on the list but a welcome addition to jacket options, I think something that'll be warm enough for winter riding and cool enough for summer riding would be perfect but I know that's asking a lot.

I've got a few things in my cart at an online retailer hoping there's a 4th of July sale

So any recommendations?

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Watch for deals, and check for fit? A lot of the same materials of the same denier, and sewing techniques are being used in cheaper gear as is being used in Klim or the like. So it often comes down to fit which really varies (sometimes armor placement is the bugaboo) and features. Myself, I've migrated to using a Pilot mesh jacket as chassis which I layer under and over to address anything from freezing to 100F or over (short or long sleeve performance underlayer, Gerry down sweater, and good rain gear takes me down into freezing). I've got some Klim and Dainese other brands too, but have to say I'm impressed what some of the more affordable gear companies are doing. Gloves can be a *****, seems like my magic bullets often get discontinued or revised, which often seems like a backward step.
    Last edited by greenboy; 17th June 2019 at 15:30.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Senior Member Looking for 4 season jacket and summer glove recommendations dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I've had good luck with Tourmaster brand in a three season jacket. The current offering of the Intake 5.0 is a couple revisions newer than mine and I understand the quilted inner liner is now a unsleeved vest instead of a long sleeved liner. That would not be an issue for me because I never use the supplied liner. I wear a heated jacket liner or a fleece under the Intake when it is cool, using the electric liner unheated or heated as necessary. Same brand with gloves. I've had many glove types and brands but for a mesh-back summer glove I like the Tourmaster/Cortech HDX 3. They are reasonable protective for a light glove and the forefinger and thumb are usable with a touch screen phone or GPS.
    Last edited by dduelin; 17th June 2019 at 15:05.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Looking for 4 season jacket and summer glove recommendations
    Bike: '14 DCT
    I would help to know where you live. 4 season gear for me am only be 3 or 2 seasons for you
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey Rip, looking for a 4 season jacket will be asking a lot out of one article of clothing. FWIW, I looked long and hard for one and finally settled on a really nice 3 season jacket and then a mesh jacket for the hot/summer rides. Being in the same boat as many of the guys here(on a budget), i pulled the trigger on a Hi-Vis Mesh jacket from SS(Speed-Strength) and like it a lot, very happy with it. For the other three seasons i ride in, i had used an old "Free99" AGV-Sport jacket without and lots of vents. I have been pretty happy with it, i mean free is good right, and better if it works and it worked OK for me. However, for my 6 state, 2600 mile, 10 day ride i knew i was going to be in weather from the 20'sF in Montana to 80'sF in Moab/New Mex and Arizona so i wanted a new jacket.

IMHO, After all of my searching, reading reviews etc, it came down to 2 jackets. #1 I scored a great deal on a new Tourmaster, which when it arrived 2 days before i was supposed to leave-only to find the sleeves were so short on it that i had to send it back. My second choice was a really nice Fly "Terra-Trek" Jacket and had it shipped to 3 Step Hideaway so it would be there when i arrived. Man did/does it fit perfectly. Although it does not have the zippers/vents that Klim has, I was very comfortable with it on and i do not believe i could have purchased a better fitting or performing jacket. It worked great in Moab, New mex, Arizona and the cold mountains of Colorado where i hit 20'sF snow/hail and warmed to the 30's where i hit a lot of rain. It continued to perform perfectly when i returned home to the high 80'sF/low 90'sF...

:{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    I would help to know where you live. 4 season gear for me am only be 3 or 2 seasons for you
    I live in California in the central valley and work over the hill in the south end of Silicon Valley, I start at various times from 0300 to 0500 so most of my riding is in the dark and I ride in temps ranging from upper 20's f to over 110 f

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I've had good luck with Tourmaster brand in a three season jacket. The current offering of the Intake 5.0 is a couple revisions newer than mine and I understand the quilted inner liner is now a unsleeved vest instead of a long sleeved liner. That would not be an issue for me because I never use the supplied liner. I wear a heated jacket liner or a fleece under the Intake when it is cool, using the electric liner unheated or heated as necessary. Same brand with gloves. I've had many glove types and brands but for a mesh-back summer glove I like the Tourmaster/Cortech HDX 3. They are reasonable protective for a light glove and the forefinger and thumb are usable with a touch screen phone or GPS.
    My summer gloves that I was wearing were Tourmaster, they cost $20 is $25 were 5 or 6 years old and discolored from the sun but we're still solid and very comfortable, even after hitting the ground they have held together, they're scuffed where they hit the ground but all of the seams held together and my hands didn't have a scratch or bruise on them.

I didn't see much Tourmaster stuff when I was looking around, I'll look again and check them out.

I was thinking about getting heated gear last winter, I guess I should just do that sense it'll make my winter rides more enjoyable

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    I like this company for lots of stuff, and here's the Tourmaster gloves they stock: Gloves > All Types > Tour Master :: MotorcycleGear.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Senior Member Looking for 4 season jacket and summer glove recommendations SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    I live in California in the central valley and work over the hill in the south end of Silicon Valley, I start at various times from 0300 to 0500 so most of my riding is in the dark and I ride in temps ranging from upper 20's f to over 110 f
    I'm afraid that you are going to need more than one pair of just about everything.

One of those multi season jackets with a liner but you'll need to make sure it has good ventilation for the warmer days. I have become tired of attaching my liners to each jacket, trying to find the attachments and zippers... not i just wear by best liner as a layer. I have a nice one from Fieldsheer that work even off the jacket, with a center zipper.

You might also need to bring an extra pair of gloves every day. I too have Cortech HDX3's but they don't look like they'll last more than a few years. My primary gloves are Spidi STR-4 vents, while I have winter gloves they are not good enough, so would suggest heated grips first. Then heated gloves or liners.

I've found I only need one pair of riding pants. The Joe Rocket Alter Egos have a removable panel and zippers that open from the top for even more venting. I've never had to use the liner down here in SoCal.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    For somewhere around 11 years, I have owned an Icon Motorhead leather jacket with full sleeve liner. I had a size Large back in the day, wrecked in it in 2010 when I lost my leg, recovered, got back into riding and continued to wear it for a couple more years, outgrew it and bought an XL on Ebay and sold the Large. Retail on those jackets were $350, but I bought both of them used on Ebay for $150 or so. I love the Motorhead because it is not overly perforated like a lot of leather jackets so it's really warm in the winter, but in warmer weather, it isn't terribly hot when the liner is out and all the zippered vents are open. My buddy bought one a few years ago, also used on Ebay and loves it. They are kinda niche jackets, as I never cared for many of Icon's newer leather jackets. They were perforated more and I always wanted the leather jacket for middle winter riding. I've always had a lighter weight mesh jacket for summer riding. Also the cuffs of the liner for the Motorhead has the scrunchie type material that seals off good so cold wind can't blow up your jacket sleeve.

Now the Motorhead 2 jacket has been out for a little while, but there are still several of the original Motorhead jackets used on ebay. Here is a link to search results for "Icon Motorhead Jacket" and you can see both the used ones and the new Motorhead 2's. The new Motorhead 2 jackets don't look like they have much perforation at all in them like the old ones, and they have a taller collar to better fight the cold. I always wear a fleece neck gaiter in the winter with my OG Motorhead jacket.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acket&_sacat=0