Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auxiliary Light Idea. Feedback?

Bike: Ducati Monster, NC700X

Auxiliary Light Idea. Feedback?

I have added some cheap 18W 6" spot lightbar off Amazon to my NC700X to increase visibility during dark winter commute (in Seattle area). I mounted the LED on a home-made bracket right below the headlights/baby beak. It's wired right to the battery with a 3-pin switch on the left mirror stem. Although the LED lightbar is effective in being seen by others, it doesn't really add a whole lot for me, as far as being able to see more. So I went back looking for something bigger and brighter. I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/waterproof-of...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6MVSSX...d_i=B07L6MVSSX

They are both 20W each (mis-labled). I plan on mounting them on brackets off the frame on either side just below the radiator. Since the lamp comes with a halo ring that can be lit independently from the main LED, I thought I could connect the turn signal to the halo ring and use it as daylight running lights and turn signals.

Do you see any issue with that? Legality issue?

Appreciate any feedback.

Tony
    Naked_Duc (Tony)

Senior Member Auxiliary Light Idea.  Feedback? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Those look good, as for being legal, each state is different...ask a state cop...you could remove the side reflectors on the forks and mount the lights in that location...give you more down road light...

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidc83; 17th June 2019 at 05:14.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    My only concern is they are both labeled fog lights, I don't think that'll help much with your visibility, you'll out run your lights going any faster then 15mph

I think you need spot lights, not fog lights,
    I installed these and I've been happy with them, they are supposed to be water proof already but I added silicone where possible anyway

Xprite 10 Watt 2-inch CREE High Power Off-Road LED Spot Light for Motorcycle Off-road Vehicles Pickup Truck UTV ATV - 2 PACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNX6E60..._nqcbDbE7GZZK7

I've had mine installed for a couple years and they've worked great the whole time rain or shine

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    my only concern is they are both labeled fog lights, i don't think that'll help much with your visibility, you'll out run your lights going any faster then 15mph

i think you need spot lights, not fog lights ...
    exactly

Spot or Driving but not Fog

Bike: Ducati Monster, NC700X
    My only concern is they are both labeled fog lights, I don't think that'll help much with your visibility, you'll out run your lights going any faster then 15mph

I think you need spot lights, not fog lights,
    I installed these and I've been happy with them, they are supposed to be water proof already but I added silicone where possible anyway

Xprite 10 Watt 2-inch CREE High Power Off-Road LED Spot Light for Motorcycle Off-road Vehicles Pickup Truck UTV ATV - 2 PACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNX6E60..._nqcbDbE7GZZK7

I've had mine installed for a couple years and they've worked great the whole time rain or shine
    Thanks for the feedback, rippin. I am also considering those little Xprite lights. They are really inexpensive and give a really good spot light throw down the road. I currently have a 18W LED and thought 20W combined may not be that much of improvement. But for $20, it might worth a shot.

As for the 20W "fog" lights in the OP, I looked through customer images (under the square ones). The light pattern seems decent. Not so much of a flood light pattern; decent throw with a flat pattern.
    Naked_Duc (Tony)

Quote Originally Posted by Naked_Duc View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, rippin. I am also considering those little Xprite lights. They are really inexpensive and give a really good spot light throw down the road. I currently have a 18W LED and thought 20W combined may not be that much of improvement. But for $20, it might worth a shot.

As for the 20W "fog" lights in the OP, I looked through customer images (under the square ones). The light pattern seems decent. Not so much of a flood light pattern; decent throw with a flat pattern.
    I switched my headlight to an led and it helped how well I could see especially with anything reflective but at 80mph I would still out run my light (more then 50% of my riding is in the dark) and those little auxiliary lights actually worked out well, good amount of light and throw, I've got 40,000 miles or so going through the rain at freeway speeds for an hour at a time a dozen times or so, I've ridden down below freezing and over 110f° just remember to clean the bugs off the lenses once in awhile

Bike: '18 NC750X
    I really like those small lights for both reasons.

Since they are spots, not patterned, any idea of how they affect approaching drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    I really like those small lights for both reasons.

Since they are spots, not patterned, any idea of how they affect approaching drivers?
    I've got them aimed low enough it doesn't seem to bother oncoming traffic, when I first installed them they were pointed a little high, a couple people flashed their high beams at me, I lowered the angle of the lights a little and no ones flashing their lights at me and I can still see well

Bike: '18 NC750X
    I've got them aimed low enough it doesn't seem to bother oncoming traffic, when I first installed them they were pointed a little high, a couple people flashed their high beams at me, I lowered the angle of the lights a little and no ones flashing their lights at me and I can still see well
    Thanks for the response!
    I like driving lights on my cars too, and have learned to try to get a pattern beam so as not to blind others.

They look good and the pics on the amazon pages show the square ones have an effective pattern with sharp cut-off. They're bigger than I want but now I have an idea of what to look for, thanks!

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I prefer a driving light beam over a spot, but either is better than what most vendors mean when they say “fog” (which generally means uncontrolled uselessness).

I have these on my NCX and they’re truly excellent:
    PIAA | PIAA LP530 LED White Driving Beam Kit #05372

The 6” diameter version of those lights won Overland Journal’s aux light comparison a few years ago, which measured lux at various ranges and angles, as well as waterproof-ness, consistency as the lights heat up, and other things. My only gripe about them is that the light is too blue. Not a deal-breaker, though.

As to legality, Washington state law restricts you to 4 clear or white lights, and either 4 or 6 total forward-facing lights. I don’t recall them having a separate rule for motorcycles, so you should be okay on that front.